I am thinking of converting to ip cameras. I will need 4 cameras with good night resolution. I have 2 external IR illuminators currently installed. I have an avermedia EB1304 and 4 CNB mona lisa domes. The current system seems to be working ok, but I would like higher resolution. Will the ACM-1231's be worth the upgrade? I am assuming I will have to find another dvr/nvr to work. I see avermedia has a new "mini" out for IP, but cannot find a price for it. What are the approximate other costs for converting to IP, such as POE switch, cable etc.

I'm in the process of putting in ACTi 1231 around the perimeter of my house, have one in so far, a few more shipped today and it is working well for me (see review on my blog below). Besides the cost of the cameras, you'll need a 4 PoE port switch for which I use a cheapy Trendnet that runs about $60 and then of course you have to run the ethernet wire to each camera back to the switch.

If you already have illuminators in some spots, you can put in an ACTi dome, but their outdoor dome is about the same price as the 1231. You can always use the extra illumination to cover areas outside the reach of the 1231.

When I show people the difference between VGA/D1 resolution and 1.3MP, it's a wow. When I show them compared to a 3MP camera, it's a bigger wow, but for a good bang for the buck for an individual home, the 1231 is a pretty good deal for all the features you get and if you go all ACTi, they give you the NVR software for free.