brownleaf

Shooting thru windows

Have a CNB be4815 infrared pointing thru a office window at a gate keypad .At night when the IR cuts on all I see is glare of the front of the camera.Any suggestions?? Thanks.....

Well that camera is suitable for use outdoors....So my suggestion would be to mount it outside! You could run the cable through the window and mount the camera just below the window if thats the easiest position.

That would make it reachable for someone to put a plastic bag over. By mounting on the roof I wouldn`t get a good facial view.Just trying to get a good picture straight ahead of the person.Thanks for your reply....Oh, I`m only 3-4 feet away from keypad...

What you can do is try and figure out a way to isolate the camera lens from the IR's. The only kicker to that would be if it's a dual glass window. Possibly some sticky foam around the lens or something to keep the glare from bouncing back in to the lens.

You have to isolate the IR from the camera lens, the same way that it is on the camera itself, with the rubber ring between the IR LED's and lens.

If the view is straight out the window, or very close to it, you could try taking off the sunshield and lens cover, and press it against the window, with the rubber ring against the window glass.

As Erron noted, a dual pane window will present a problem you may not be able to work around, except possibly by disassembling the camera and extending the IR LED ring wires to place it a foot or so away from the camera (voiding your warranty in the process, though), or cover the IR LED's on the camera and use a separate IR illuminator, away from the camera.

Thanks everyone, will try some of these ideas tonight, and hopefully find a solution....

Would another type of camera work for this??

that camera puts out at least 100'+ of IR (they claim 160'+) ... with a ring effect from it having 15 and 30 degree beams .. bottom line is it is the wrong camera for the job.

I took shield off and stuck it on window, didn`t work.I then put window tint on window, didn`t work..Will try covering up IR tonight to see if I can get a good picture.Then will try covering IR and using a outside light source.Still trying guys!!!!! THANKS......

If you want to use the same camera maybe use it as a Color only camera, then need to open it up from the front, get inside it and see if you can disable the IR. Add IR outside if you need it. BTW im disappointed with this cameras performance anyway but thats more due to poor IR distance, I wont be using it again myself.