stuffed

Player for CCTV files using .dv4 format.?

Am looking for a good quality video player for CCTV files using the .dv4 format.

One that can easily slow down, speed up – take snap shots etc.

Am even prepared to pay for it!

Have tried Elecard and one other one but find they are fiddly to use.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Doesn't play them, or just doesn't recognize the extension? You may have to rename it to .AVI or some other "standard" multimedia extension before some players will even attempt to play it.

Yes, using the avtech player (called "videoplayer" or "PlayerLiteHJ") works for playback. However, doing any quality conversion seems impossible unfortunately. While it uses some form of h264, no other player or converter seems able to play it back properly (best case scenario I got was the picture doubled up, most would not even attempt to play). Within the avtech player itself there is a "avi" export button, and possiblity to configure some settings. However, there is no "transcoding only", meaning all video would have be re-encoded, introducing various level of quality loss. Even doing loss-less (which is ok until you reencode it), is hampered with a major flaw. It only outputs something along the lines of 320x240, while the original video was 704x480..... My only workaround at the moment is to do frame by frame advance, and export each frame to jpg, which at least maintains the resolution.. If anyone has a neat way of getting these files converted in a better manner, please let me know!

EDIT: Good news, after digging around some more, I found that the videoplayer I have been using (the one that is put on the usb stick when taking a backup), as well as the one that came with the video VIEWER software included with the dvr(which corrupted picture so I never used it), are both old. I located newer Video VIEWER software on the internet (VVR_v0183.zip for my dvr) which includes a new version of the video PLAYER. This on still cannot transcode, but it DOES output in full 704x480 resolution! As an aside, it is possible to get good quality compressed output (if you don't need to cut it) by installing open source vfw codec called "x264vfw codec" and choosing the "lossless" option within. If you need to cut, probably best to output UNCOMPRESSED, and use another editor to cut (I like VirtualDub, where you can then again use x264vfw codec upon saving to use less diskspace, if you like)