magohn

Why is my ACTI 1231 camera so bad at night?

Still looks like something is wrong with the camera.

the IR beam itself seems okay for what it is.

here, this shows the amount of light in the image a little better, equalized.

Nope... I've installed many. That looks about right for the scene and with default settings.

The 1231 is a great camera, can't beat it for the price. But, this is a classic example of using the wrong tool for the job.

TWG: There is existing ambient light in your scene, correct? I also see there is little vegetation in the scene... These are 2 reasons why your images are much better

TWG: There is existing ambient light in your scene, correct? I also see there is little vegetation in the scene... These are 2 reasons why your images are much better

no cant see to walk its very dark, here it is with IR off and then IR on, tonight:

Note, this is an ultra low light BW exview camera also. Just comparing IR beams at this point.

bwnoir.jpgbwir.jpg

by TWG i meant thewireguys

LOL oh i thought it was like BTW or something

but yes my walls do help in my image .. also mines a BW exview camera .. it sucks in the daytime though

right camera for the application as you said ... or add more Infrared lighting.

here is a comparison with small area to large wide area, both are identical color IR dome cameras:

colorIR1.jpg

He's already got the Acti cam, at this point, I'd add a little more IR illumination for nighttime and be done with it...

Although if he's only going to record in standard res due to his software, he might trade it for an Acti ACM-1431 Standard res cam, with the CCD imager, it would do better at night.

CMOS imagers are all somewhat handicapped in low light, compared to CCD (although newer ones are getting better).

Hello all,

Thanks so much for all your feedback on the camera. It has really helped as there is little info on the net for the 1231 other than the manufacturers blurb.

I semi-fixed the issue by installing a "dawn-dusk" auto-security light. I can see what I need to see (side of the house) and so I am content.

I still need to fix the IR bleeding into the lens by either:

a) Finding a rubber washer to add more packing between the glass and the lens.

b) or Disabling the IR's

Here's a pic of how the camera works now:

133805_1.jpg

Thanks again!

P.S. I doubt I would buy the Acti 1231 again - $500 for these issues is not acceptable.

I have the same problem with Acti ACM-1231

ACTI send me New camera Glass and Lens rubber.

They told me that some of those cameras had problem with the Glass.

I still didn't install the new glass, once I do this i will tell you the results

Elite_entrance.jpg.6139921f1e698604bf6eea4f801ca2fd.jpg

Looks like the glass just needs a good clean. Has it been cleaned since it rained? Any bugs or spiders over it?

Looks like the glass just needs a good clean. Has it been cleaned since it rained? Any bugs or spiders over it?

It's not Cleaning problem, The problem It's on the Glass itself.

If you see the new glass It's double (1 piece for Lens and other for IR).

We try to clean the camera glass from both inside and outside, but we still got the same result.

If it is still getting reflection from the IR LEDs then the rubber/foam ring is not touching the glass which is a R&D failure. One option is to move the camera forward more so the ring sits on the glass, make your own ring using store bought rubber or foam, or using small pieces of double stick tape attach the ring to the glass and adjust it as you put the cover on so it fits over the lens.

Or ofcourse use the new glass cover with the additional ring.

If it is still getting reflection from the IR LEDs then the rubber/foam ring is not touching the glass which is a R&D failure. One option is to move the camera forward more so the ring sits on the glass, make your own ring using store bought rubber or foam, or using small pieces of double stick tape attach the ring to the glass and adjust it as you put the cover on so it fits over the lens.

I prefer the 2nd one because Acti offers the new glass for free

I agree - not sure i can support attaching "small pieces of sticky tape" to fix a $500 camera.

I contacted Acti support and filed a support ticket - fingers crossed for as new glass.

THANK YOU so much for your post and information. I would still love to see a night shot with the new glass attached...

Update:

After contacting Acti, they sent me a RMA # to return the camera. I sent them screenshots and they immediately issued an RMA - I will check back to report any progress.

In thinking about it, splitting the glass between the IR and camera section should help a lot.

The IR is going to bounce internally in the glass, and exit on anything touching the glass (think of the menu boards at restaurants where the glass is lit by a UV light on the edges, and the wax pencil writing picks up the UV out of the glass, and lights up).

Possibly water spotting or other debris on the glass is doing this in the sample images.

Ive used IR bullets with split glass and still you get reflection, but from rain drops, bugs etc.

I guess some IR could leak through the glass even with the foam ring But ive never experienced that and I deal with IR bullets, the cheap ones also, all the time.

To finish the story off - Acti issued a RMA return and I got the camera back yesterday and repaired. As the prev poster, they replaced the glass to the one pictured above. The rubber IR ring now protrudes through the glass - issue seems to be solved.

Only set it up last night and so I still need to dial in my settings. but as you can see the "spots" are now gone...

135812_1.jpg

I prefer the 2nd one because Acti offers the new glass for free

Do they make you send the whole camera back just to replace that piece??? I have four of these cameras and have already had to eat shipping of one back to them for the IR's going out. That would blow if I had to send all four back when they can just mail me the piece.

Yes, the whole camera was requested. Fast turnaround though - just over a week form me to them, and back to me...

Yes, the whole camera was requested. Fast turnaround though - just over a week form me to them, and back to me...

Thats ridiculous, especially since you unscrew that end anyway