alpine0000

ExacqVision EL-S Hybrid vs ExacqVision Desktop Hybrid

Debating between these two, and want your opinions on which is 'better' (for my needs). I know the desktop one costs more, but they both look decent and are within my budget. (for what its worth, I'd probly just buy the smallest HDD option possible as I currently have 1.5 TB of HDD I could add in myself from my current DVR to save money). I'd either get the 8 channel EL-S or the 4 Channel Desktop Hybrid.

http://www.exacq.com/products/dt_hybrid_server.html

http://www.exacq.com/products/exacqvisionELS.html

I currently have a G4-RTA-D1 that I bought from Mike at Shoreview, along with 6 analog cameras hooked up to it. It's decent and has done the job, but there are a few reasons I want to upgrade.

1) I would like to start dabbling with IP cams, but I dont want to switch all at once. I'd like to slowly upgrade/add IP cameras -- hence my reason for a hybrid.

2) The client software has never worked properly since I upgraded to Windows 7. Even if I run in compatiblity mode it keeps crashing.

3) The web based client is just "average", and only works with IE, and it requires port forwarding of TWO ports, not just one. This has caused some headaches for me, as my employer has almost all ports locked down. I like that the exacqvision works with all webbrowsers, doesn't need active-x (which is another no-no at my job), AND I can even use their app on my iphone!!! " title="Applause" />

4) Mike has disappeared. Not to mention, the company who re-badges my DVR has sourced a new manufacturer to make their DVR's, and hence has STOPPED ALL SUPPORT for my DVR. So there are no more software upgrades, phone support, etc... I am ON MY OWN. I called them a few months ago to ask about software upgrades that work correctly with Windows 7. I was told there will be none of that, and the only way to get support is to buy a new DVR made by their new source! WTF!? In fact, they didn't even want to talk to me on the phone, as they said I was past my 1 year warranty and they werent required to fullfill anymore obligations with me.

Now I ask you, friends, which one would you get for your money? I currently have 6 analog cameras, and the Desktop Hybrid I would buy only has 4 analog inputs, which isnt that big of a deal, as I can either get rid of two of my analogs, or just replace them with IP's. The EL-S model I would buy would have 8 analog inputs, so that would work nicely. I see a brief comparison here: http://www.exacq.com/downloads/exacqvision-brochure-0810.pdf but still cant decide. Are there any more differences I am missing? What does one have that the other doesnt? (aside from what is listed in that short comparison graph). Why is the EL-S so much cheaper? Does the EL-S come with IP licenses like the Desktop Hybrid does? I didnt see anything about that.

Does anybody here have experience or insight on these two? Please help make my decision easier!

BTW -- This DVR is just for use in my home, as I travel often. I like to check up on things when I am at the office, too

Now I ask you, friends, which one would you get for your money? I currently have 6 analog cameras, and the Desktop Hybrid I would buy only has 4 analog inputs, which isnt that big of a deal, as I can either get rid of two of my analogs, or just replace them with IP's. The EL-S model I would buy would have 8 analog inputs, so that would work nicely. I see a brief comparison here: http://www.exacq.com/downloads/exacqvis ... e-0810.pdf but still cant decide. Are there any more differences I am missing? What does one have that the other doesnt? (aside from what is listed in that short comparison graph). Why is the EL-S so much cheaper? Does the EL-S come with IP licenses like the Desktop Hybrid does? I didnt see anything about that.

Does anybody here have experience or insight on these two? Please help make my decision easier!

BTW -- This DVR is just for use in my home, as I travel often. I like to check up on things when I am at the office, too

The ELS is h.264 with full d1 30FPS and desktop is not. Desktop is Windows or Linux and the ELS is Linux only. The ELS has the OS on a SSD drive and the desktop is harddrive. The ELS will use a lot less power. The Desktop comes with 8 IP licenses and the ELS does not.

I would not recommend replacing the HD yourself.

i wouldnt replace the HDD that comes with it, i would just add a few more 500g HDD's. This is what I did with my current G4 DVR and worked fine.

How come you recommend not doing it?

Now I ask you, friends, which one would you get for your money? I currently have 6 analog cameras, and the Desktop Hybrid I would buy only has 4 analog inputs, which isnt that big of a deal, as I can either get rid of two of my analogs, or just replace them with IP's. The EL-S model I would buy would have 8 analog inputs, so that would work nicely. I see a brief comparison here: http://www.exacq.com/downloads/exacqvis ... e-0810.pdf but still cant decide. Are there any more differences I am missing? What does one have that the other doesnt? (aside from what is listed in that short comparison graph). Why is the EL-S so much cheaper? Does the EL-S come with IP licenses like the Desktop Hybrid does? I didnt see anything about that.

The ELS is h.264 with full d1 30FPS and desktop is not. Desktop is Windows or Linux and the ELS is Linux only. The ELS has the OS on a SSD drive and the desktop is harddrive. The ELS will use a lot less power. The Desktop comes with 8 IP licenses and the ELS does not.

Thanks for that reply! So which one would you recommend for my application, and why?

One more question: is there any software differences between the two, or is it mainly just hardware differences? for example, is this VMS software used on both, or does the software differ?

http://www.exacq.com/downloads/exacqvision-brochure-0810.pdf

also, what would be the benefit for me being able to have windows rather than linux on my DVR?

thanks again for the help!

I would not recommend replacing the HD yourself.

i wouldnt replace the HDD that comes with it, i would just add a few more 500g HDD's. This is what I did with my current G4 DVR and worked fine.

How come you recommend not doing it?

Well with the Desktop version you might be able to add hard drives I think there is open SATA ports but I have never opened one up to look.

ELS for one it is Linux and it is a whole different animal then Windows. Also I don't think there is any more room in the box or open SATA ports.

I don't think there is any more room in the box or open SATA ports.

Then how do you have the option from the factory for many different sized, up to a couple TB of HDD space? I wouldnt think that they would have just ONE 2tb drive in there, would they? hmm. that would make a huge difference if so.

So, any advantages to having windows over linux? my current server says it has embedded linux, but you can really access any OS. it just boots right into the DVR menu, so it doesnt "seem" like a real computer with Linux or Windows on it at all

Forgive my questions that might seems 'beginner-ish'. But i appreciate the help!

Thanks for that reply! So which one would you recommend for my application, and why?

One more question: is there any software differences between the two, or is it mainly just hardware differences? for example, is this VMS software used on both, or does the software differ?

http://www.exacq.com/downloads/exacqvision-brochure-0810.pdf

also, what would be the benefit for me being able to have windows rather than linux on my DVR?

thanks again for the help!

Exacq software is the same for all of there products.

I would get the ELS, (H.264 D1 30 FPS) and you can add IP cameras when you need them. With the desktop your only getting 4 analog and your paying for 8 IP licenses that your not using right away.

I don't think there is any more room in the box or open SATA ports.

Then how do you have the option from the factory for many different sized, up to a couple TB of HDD space? I wouldnt think that they would have just ONE 2tb drive in there, would they? hmm. that would make a huge difference if so.

So, any advantages to having windows over linux? my current server says it has embedded linux, but you can really access any OS. it just boots right into the DVR menu, so it doesnt "seem" like a real computer with Linux or Windows on it at all

Forgive my questions that might seems 'beginner-ish'. But i appreciate the help!

Up 2TB drive is the max internal with ELS box. This is a full computer running Windows or Linux and yes you have access to the OS. But they way it is setup you can't change ANYTHING in the OS without admin or root access. But you do not access the OS for normal setup or use. Everything is configured from Exacq's client software.

I would get the ELS, (H.264 D1 30 FPS) and you can add IP cameras when you need them. With the desktop your only getting 4 analog and your paying for 8 IP licenses that your not using right away.

Thats kind of what i was thinking, because I am only going to start with 1 IP camera at first to play around with it and get acquainted with the new technology. Then I may add another camera or two later. It will be a slow process. I def wont ever have 8 IP cameras in my home. 6 is about the max total cameras i even need for my application, but def wont have 6 IP cameras any time soon! esp at $900 a pop for the Axis cameras i want!

So aside from being able to have windows on the Desktop version and the fact that it comes with 8 IP licenses, is there anything else that the Desktop version can do that the ELS cannot? Any extra features or ability that I would get with the Desktop that I dont get with the ELS? So far the ELS is looking like a pretty solid solution.

So I just spent about 2 hours searching the forum, and (I think?) I learned a lot. I now have an interest in another possibility. Instead of getting a dedicated DVR, I could do a PC-based system. I have never set one up before, so I am not sure if I fully understand exactly everything that I will need to do this. Please let me know if I am missing anything. Is this all I will need?

--Server (I am in the I.T. field and have access to Dell Poweredge servers, so I will probably just use that)

--Encoder for my exisiting analog cams (probly pick up the AXIS Q7404)

--VMS Software (will buy the exacqvision for $150 per license)

--Gigabit switch dedicated to the cameras

Other than buying Windows 7, an IP cam or two to start with, a battery backup (which I already have), and some cabling, and I missing anything here? Is it really that easy? If so, I think I can get into this for under $3k (for just my 4 items listed above. That wouldn't include cameras). I am new to IP and PC-based solutions. I am coming from dedicated DVR and analog here, so sorry for easy questions

EDIT: I also have one more question about the port-forwarding I will need to do. Will I only have to forward port 80 on my router to a special port used by the VMS software on the server, which will cover all methods of connecting (mobile app, web browser, and client connections), or will it entail other things and multiple ports? I have business internet and a static IP here, so all the ports are available for me to open up here at my house if needed. I tried to download the VMS software manual on ExacqVision's website, but it requires a login name and pw

^ Since my question above is starting to get off topic for the sub-forum, I am going to ask it in the IP Cameras and Software forum where it may get more replies, since it doesnt really relate to DVR's at all

Depends on the HD size and number of analog channels 8 or 16.

250GB

500GB

750GB

1000GB

2000GB

Can you post and/or send me the list of the ten prices. Thanks in advance.

Best,

Christopher

Depends on the HD size and number of analog channels 8 or 16.

250GB

500GB

750GB

1000GB

2000GB

Can you post and/or send me the list of the ten prices. Thanks in advance.

Best,

Christopher

I'd appreciate having that too. I have a friend who is looking at some DVR options, and I'm trying to give him some upgrade room.

I'd *also* love to see what the pricing on the exacq DVRs is - I keep seeing references to how great they are, but w/o any idea of the price point, its kind of worthless.

I'd *also* love to see what the pricing on the exacq DVRs is - I keep seeing references to how great they are, but w/o any idea of the price point, its kind of worthless.

PM sent