gingermonkey

Disappointing Performance - Any Ideas?

Hello,

I originally posted this question in the system design forum, however, I think it may be better placed here

This is my first question on the forum, so please be patient. I've searched the forum for the term 'disappointing performance' but can't find anything that matches my problem, so I wondered if you could offer some sagely advice.

Firstly my system comprises:

Dual core Athlon each running at 2.7 Ghz

2GB Ram

Non-branded 8 channel SAA7130 DVR card (used as Video Capture Card)

Non-branded 4 channel Conexant 878a Fusion DVR card (used as Video Capture Card)

Go1984 software (ultimate version on trial)

All signal cables upgraded to 2004 BW coaxial

Samsung Box Camera (Computar Vari-focal zoom lense) (520 TVL I think)

Panasonic Box Camera (Computar Vari-focal zoom lens) (520 TVL i think)

'Night Owl' Camera

My problem is that the picture quality is very poor. I've spent ages trying to focus the cameras as accurately as possible, however, the images are very 'soft' and lack detail. I also get black bars appearing in areas of high movement - I understand that this may be an interlacing issue (although I haven't got a clue how to fix it ). The problems listed above are during daylight - I haven't started to think about optimising night-time performance yet.

I've also spent ages adjusting the camera/software trying to get the best performance and tried iCatcher in an attempt to get better results.

I'm expecting the poor performance is due to my non-branded cards, however, I want to make sure before I run-off to spend more money on something that doesn't help. (Getting the drivers for the SA7130 has been a complete swine BTW).

Any ideas or recommendations please?

Thanks in advance,

GM

Hi, first how are you focusing the cameras?

If using an LCD in most cases its going to be next to impossible to get a great focus.

Other than using a really expensive one or perhaps HDMI.

Best bet is to get a cheap CRT either a CCTV monitor or I even used to use a 13" TV.

Even if not that, at least if you are going direct into the LCD then it will be better than if trying to focus with the video coming from the DVR. Also if you focus with alot of glare such as in bright sunlight its going to be hard to get it right no matter what tool you use.

Anyway it could also be the DVR cards or the software you are using.

Also what is 2004 BW coaxial?

Incorrect cable can cause degraded signal.

Hi Rory,

Thanks for the focussing tips - I'll start with that.

The cable is a coaxial cable used in telecommunications. Whilst being only just able to to handle full TV bandwidth I thought it would be better than the skinny cables I'd used up to now. (I have noticed a significant improvement btw.)

Anymore tips gratefully received

GM

CCTV systems are designed for 75-ohm RG-59 or RG-6. If the cable you're using has a different impedance, it can definitely affect image quality.

You also don't mention what resolutions you're actually viewing/recording at. The card(s) and/or software could be limiting it.

Hi Soundy,

According to the Go1984 HMI I'm viewing/recording at 720x576, PAL B, RGB24.

Although I'm not certain of the impedance of the cable (I believe it to be 75 ohms), it did improve the picture over the pre-made CCTV/power cable I bought from Maplins.

GM

I got home this evening and hooked a camera up directly to a good quality (small dot-pitch) LCD TV/Monitor (I don't have a CRT TV small enough to lump about): The images were much clearer. However, when I put the same camera using the same cable through the PC the picture is degraded quite significantly.

Does this narrow the problems down a bit?

Thanks in advance,

GM

Samsung and Panasonic dont make shabby cameras. If your going to get good brand name cameras, why not get a good DVR or DVR card to match up with them? Sometimes you can get away with getting a non-branded standalone DVR and still have decent quality but hardly ever will you have good quality with a non-branded DVR card. I hear too many a horror stories about bad non-branded DVR cards these days. After it runs through your card and then to your computer monitor, the image looks crappy. My suggestion would be to start over and get a better card or a good standalone DVR.

I bet if you ran the camera directly into a small 13"-19" Tube TV like Rory said you would probably like the image even better. Sometimes those cameras just look better on a tube because it takes away that "soft" look that you mentioned that analog cameras have on LCD computer monitors.

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the advice which has been taken on board. I will be posting in the Geovision area shortly to ask which spec card I need and to see if the drivers provided by Geovision will work with other software. (The drivers that came with the non branded card I bought were Wav-p(?) and would only work with their rubbish software and I spent days trying to find SAA7130 that would work).

Thanks again,

GM