SecureVision

PC based DVR vs. Standalone DVR – Pros & Cons.

Hi there. I’m not sure if this is the correct message board to ask this question, but I guess it can be categorized as generic discussion.

I am a network administrator and do some consulting when I have spare time. I’ve been dealing with IP Cameras for little jobs (Axis, D-Link, etc...). And have a few clients that are very interested in “realâ€

This would actually belong in the DVR thread, but my opinion follows:

Stand alone DVR pros:

1. Ease of setup

2. COST, you can get a 16 channel with remote, audio, etc for 675.00

3. Little post sale support

4. Quality, you can get better real world recording out of the 720x480 in my opinion.

Cons:

1. Advanced features such as email on motion

2. no http server

3. no dynamic IP support

4. Remote software sucks.

You can do burners no, ad HDDs,

There you have it.

Just my opinion.

Thank you for the info.

In this case, would you have a dvr card manufacturer in mind that’s very stable and has nice/user friendly features and if it’s reasonably priced it’s always a plus. Thnx...

Actually the Kalatel Storesafe all-in-one DVR does all of the below, see my notes:

1. Ease of setup - YES

2. COST, you can get a 16 channel with remote, audio, etc for 675.00

MUCH MORE THAN THAT - LIKE $4000+

3. Little post sale support - PLENTY OF SUPPORT BOTH WAYS

4. Quality, you can get better real world recording out of the 720x480 in my opinion. - YES

1. Advanced features such as email on motion - YES, Email Notification is built in, on alarm

2. no http server - YES -Http Server is built into it for browser access

3. no dynamic IP support - YES - dynamic IP is supported

4. Remote software sucks. - NO - Software is better than most PC based

You can do burners no - YES - CDRW built in - or DVRRW on your PC using remote software

ad HDDs, - NO - this is my only problem with them, besides the high cost

Rory

Simply put!!

PC = Better Features and Cheaper price but less stabilty and more training.

Standalone = Lesser features, much more stability and less training but more expensive.

Standalone will be the future it is not ready to take over yet, bit like Beta Vs VHS when VHS was new,,,, won't take long though.

I give PC's 1 more year unless hardware changes again

yeah i guess

the storesafe since kalatel was taken over by GE was loadedwith features though, but more are needed like:

fps/pps status on remote view

more than 1 audio input

removable HDs (though they probably use SCSI HDs)

built in DVD-RW (instead of CD-RW)

USB/Flash Back up & or back up to PC with firewire cable etc

any more ideas, I can pass it on to them for review, or at least they pass it on to someone else in that dept. Im sure they will eventually come out with some if not all or more than these, but like you said it may take some time. I just like the easy install and stability, and it has all the features my clients need, for now!

Alot of it is software related to remote video though.

Don’t buy into the myth that embedded dvrs are more stable that PC based. Like in any other piece of equipment… you get what you pay for. If you want to buy an ebay dvr board, your going to have stability problems. PC based DVR can be made to run just as stable as embedded. The benefit that you have with embedded DVR’s is that you can buy them for under $400.

ok, windows based versus a machine based, doesnt take much to figure out which one is more stable.

High quality embedded DVRs cost alot more than PC cards, for alot of reasons.

I have seen many embedded DVR’s that have bugs and that are prone to lock up. Example: I know of 3 big brands that had MAJOR issues with leap year. If a PC based DVR is running an active watchdog program, it can run with as much reliability as embedded. Plus the added features. If you want to pay $995.00 for your PC based DVR, then good luck.

I agree it is a myth, Most SECURITY Instalers have no idea when it comes to PC's, I would be out of business if they broke as often as everyone says!

The problem is that builders of PC's dont know what they are doing, it is bad that a PCI card can get the blame for someone lumping two HDD's together and causing overheating..

PC's werent used in security before and that is why security companies that have to adapt build badly built machines and then the whole windows debate comes in..

To be honest most failures are hardware and not Windows, however I would go as far as to say that yes Standalones are more stable, but not by as much as everyone thinks, I actually managed to crash the Kalatel.