code58

No video, but camera leds are on?

Hi

Im new to installing CCTV and so, but today i went to a client, with a problem that one camera does not show video, i went to the camera, removed it, installed that camera on another point, and the camera works. Camera is about 2.5m away from PSU.

So i told the client i wil come back to him, and went to a totally new client, witch also had the same problem. This camera is about 7m away from psu.

Here is the problem with both cameras.

The camera dont show video, but the LED's are shining red, meaning they are on...

The power cables does work, tested...

Could it be the video cable? i mean, same problem happening on the same time at two diferent clients on the same day. lol!

Here is a link to the exact cameras im using, one is smaller at the other client. but still the same.

[mod edit - store link removed]

What am i missing?

did you measure the voltage? you cant just go by seeing the red light on as being ok. since you are using cameras w/ LEDs, they use slightly more power.

do you have the cameras going individual power supplies or a power supply box?

did you try another camera in the "bad" location? if so did it work? if not then its either the power or somewhere in the cable.

you can also try swapping the location behind the dvr to determine if its DVR related (bad port)

What i found was the power supply can change between 12v, 14v, 16v, so what i did was because there are 3 cams, i changed the PSU from 12v up to 14v, and it worked, bud only for a few min,

There are 3 cameras connected to the PSU, i know now for a fact that it is not the video cable, because i was just there and somehow got it working, but now when i went to the computer, it was dead again, all video i get is black, but a bit on the right side is white noze, like a stripe comming down.

If i connect only that one camera, still the same problem.

If i connect the other two cameras, they work.

I will replace that cam with another and see what happens, but i did took out the "faulty" one and plugged it to another point, and the cam worked fine. Time got a bit short to do more tests, needed to fetch the girl :-/

I will take you up to try to change the location at the dvr. dont know why i havent tried that. lol. But still, i did got it working for about 10min.

Il will also change the power cord tomorrow.

Thank you for the reply themerchant

Need to start with the basics:

1-What cable are you using?

2-What power supply are you using?

3-What connectors are you using?

4-Max cable run in feet?

5-What type of DVR?

Next ..

1-Have you tested the camera by itself? Plugged direct into a monitor and on its own power supply.

2-Checked the cable to make sure it is good? Meter it, visibly check it for issues.

3-Tried another camera?

4-Did all this without it going into the DVR?

5-Tried new connectors, redo the video connection?

Many things can cause no video, ive even had bad pigtails do it, or just a bad card where one channel was no go, some driver/firmware issue. The most basic is the connection.

the other day I went to a job that had no video, but the IR was on.

I connected another camera using the connection that existed, still no video.

I redid all the connections, cleaned them up, still no video at the DVR end.

I cut all the old connectors off which were even inside a weatherproof gang box (corroded box though), and just spliced power and video together (wasnt spending a couple hours in traffic to go buy good connectors for an old crappy camera).

Anyway, it worked.

Again the other day, another job, no video. Cable looked visibly fine, redid the connections completely, figured camera was dead as it was covered in radiator fluid and who knows what else, was replacing it anyway as the client had bought another already, so didnt even waste anytime on that old camera, just yucked it down and replaced it. NO video still. Power was good, but what must have happened was one of the original staples they had used must have gone through the video side at one point where we could not see, and corroded that. Changed the cable, worked right away.

Many times it is power related, or just redoing the connections.

Hi rory.

Thank you for all the info. Here is what i did eventually.

I found yesterday when i first had a look at the PSU, that the previous IT, actually my previous boss, , well, he made the + / - cable connection so bad that they touched each other, but after i fixed that, i still had the same problem.

So i just replaced the camera with a new one, and it did work, i put the old one back, and walla, it worked, but only for a while, so i replaced the cam, left the new one installed, and no problems so far.

So i gess it was a short that took out the cam.

But what bothers me a bit, is that on the same PSU there are other 2 cams also installed, and they work fine, one of whom is the same distance away from the PSU, so if it was a short, why did only one cam blew? sort of... lol.

But ya, it all works fine, they like me, they will use me in the future, whooohooooo!!!

Thanks for all the help and advise.

Most Distributed Power Supplies have individually protected outputs, so basically if one goes the others do not.

I gess, but the weird thing is, on the PSU itself, there are only one + and one - pole, and all three cams is connected to it.

I gess, but the weird thing is, on the PSU itself, there are only one + and one - pole, and all three cams is connected to it.

in the uk that is known as a unregulated power supply. not a good psu for your cameras. you need to change it for a 4 way regulated. DANtech is a good make

Oh well

Guess the other 2 cameras were just lucky, it happens.

Also some cameras have some basic power protection built in.

glad it all worked out! " title="Applause" />

like the other said, sell them a regulated PS with individual fused outputs. tell them you are saving them money in the long run.