cglaeser

License Plate Cameras

In addition to a high power IR source, what else is special about the Bosch Extreme REG-L1 license plate camera? In particular, why are headlights so dark at night and license plates so bright? Do these cameras have a filter that is notched to pass IR and block the visible spectrum?

Best,

Christopher

THE REGL1's rely upon the IR reflectivity of plates.

The downside, is if someone has those plexi covers over their plates, you wont get a plate. Or if the plate is dirty, or old.

I'd like to know how the municipalities get such good plate shots all the time with the red light cams.

THE REGL1's rely upon the IR reflectivity of plates.

Thanks. After more reading, it's apparent that the REGL1 uses the IR leds 24/7, even during daylight hours. It uses an IR bandpass filter to block the visible spectrum, and uses an IR sensitive sensor.

I'm getting ready to spring for one of these. I'm leaning towards the 75mm, but my concern is that the IR source has same beam pattern for all models, which would mean it is not optimized for 75mm. Does anyone have experience with the REGL1? Do they adjust the beam pattern to match the lens?

Best,

Christopher

The 75mm will cover a MAX width of 10ft, thats it.

I have the smaller one, which focuses roughly 15-20ft, and gives about a 14ft width coverage.

I dont see how the IR beam can be optimzed, its just a big emitter.

I used to have a 75mm, worked well, but my road is 18ft wide, so I'd loose plates.

Honestly, I'm less than impressed with them for 2 reasons (ok, 3).

1> Problems I've had with mine (IR going out 2 times now).

2> The IR's do have alife expectancy of around 5 years, then its a large bill to replace.

3> The reliance upon plate reflectivity. Capturing front plates is almost worthless. Plates with covers (plexi) same.

The 75mm will cover a MAX width of 10ft, thats it.

I have the smaller one, which focuses roughly 15-20ft, and gives about a 14ft width coverage.

Which model do you have?

I dont see how the IR beam can be optimzed, its just a big emitter.

It is possible to focus the beam. Both RayMax and Bosch/Extreme have IR emitters with different beam widths.

I used to have a 75mm, worked well, but my road is 18ft wide, so I'd loose plates.

Do you recall your horizontal and vertical angles? If I purchase one, I'm going to try two locations, one location is up about 15', and the other is level with the plates. The latter location will certainly do better, but I'm hoping the high location gives satisfactory results.

2> The IR's do have alife expectancy of around 5 years, then its a large bill to replace.

Yes, I wish there was an option to purchase the camera and IR as separate units.

3> The reliance upon plate reflectivity. Capturing front plates is almost worthless.

Why? The rear plates have a light, but are otherwise the plates are identical. Is it the plate light that makes the difference?

Plates with covers (plexi) same.

The police in our town are extremely responsive to any suspicious vehicles driving through our neighborhoods. If I see a plate with a cover cruising around at 2 am and report it, the police will pull them over for questioning.

Best,

Christopher

I dont know if its the same as the EX82 IR LEDs but the EX82's Ive had in the field for 9 years, all but maybe just a couple individual LEDs are still working fine.