Redemption

VBM-24VF Low light.

Could someone please tell me the best setting for this camera on a very low light situation? Right now in my back patio all I see at night is black and color pixels, also is there a way to have color during the day and black and white at night? Finally what is the best "most affordable" IR I can get to help with the low light problem.

Thanks

A picture of this situation would help a lot.

You see black and color pixels? Sounds like somethings wrong with your DVR or cabling... If everything was working properly in a very low light condition, you'd just see pitch black.

By default the VBM-24VF will show color in day, and switch to black and white at night. That's why its called a True Day/Night camera. If its not doing that then you need to check the settings. I would just set them all to default, and see what happens. If its still not working right, sounds like you need to return it.

In terms of seeing in the dark... This camera can see down to 0.005 Lux, which is realistically 0.05 Lux. If it can't see anything (then its real dark!), you will definitely need some illumination. I would try out a motion-detect flood light. Its cheaper and makes the snoops look at the light when it turns on, giving your camera a good picture of their face.

I had this happen to me when there was too much street lighting and the camera (default settings) would not switch to b/w at night. Turn down the gain settings, maybe try a setting of 8, and see if it switches to b/w. Factory default for gain is 15.

If it is indeed dark out there, check that you are using quality cables, like a good rg59 cable with Paladin compression bnc connectors. Don't use that factory pre-made cables if possible.

I have used the Lorex VQ2121 Night Vision illuminator from amazon. About $60. I have used cheaper ones in the past but they don't last as long.

Another thing I just thought up is to play with the day-night settings. There should be a number that sets at what level it switches from day to night mode.

Right now it may be thinking its still too dark to use the day (color) mode.

Make sure the Day Night setting is set to AUTO - not color or BW.

If it has the SWITCH setting in the Day Night section try setting it to HIGH - only exists on newer models, in fact I dont even know if that feature actually works, never seemed to make much difference in my tests.

if there is any kind of spot light near the camera and its photocell, even if it is not in the cameras fov, then that could cause it to stay in color also.

Ive not used cheap IR yet, other than what I have here at my own appt, which actually I am using the IR from a couple other cheap old cameras I got free just to boost the IR from my Day Night IR bullet. Ive used the EX26 and that works great with the VBM-24VF, but its definitely not cheap.

Guess you've seen this?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22326

In terms of seeing in the dark... This camera can see down to 0.005 Lux, which is realistically 0.05 Lux. If it can't see anything (then its real dark!), you will definitely need some illumination. I would try out a motion-detect flood light. Its cheaper and makes the snoops look at the light when it turns on, giving your camera a good picture of their face.

Are you talking 0.05 Lux at the camera end or object ?

Hi, just to add to that though, even with alot of visible light Ive had the cameras goto BW ... just depends on the angle of the light in relation to the camera and how much is hitting the photocell. Last night for example I literally just moved a raytec visible light up a half inch and even with tons of light right in the cameras fov it switched to BW .. as there was less light hitting the actual photocell, move it back a little and then there is more light hitting the photocell. ..switched to color. This is where the external photocell comes in handy.

Hey bantham1. What is that ebay bullet ir you used. Can't find it on ebay. Would be nice to have one that I could adjust the beam pattern manually.

Here's a VBM-24VF still shot at 2:37am, street light behind lady @ 50 feet, street light ahead of lady @ 200 feet, 90% full moon out (was cloudy though), no infrared. Camera gain at 6 (don't like too high gain settings, causes too much noise). Camera is 20 feet from lady, so I would prefer a flood ir not a spot. Don't know if I'm going to add an ir illuminator as I don't like the zombie look. But that adjustable ir beam bantham1 talks about seems like something I could play around with.

135493_1.jpg

Taken from a Lorex 20" all in one system @ D1. I know, don't laugh. De-interlaced with vitualdub using avisynth with smart deinterlace filter. This lorex system does not automatically de-interlace.

Edited by Guest

Sorry, can't post the link here. Search ir illuminator on ebay for seller securitycamera2000 and you will find what I am referring to. It is a cylindrical illuminator. You adjust the ir beam by moving the IR element in and out. Works nicely for the price and have had no issues with it burning out so far. I have a 48 led ir illuminator(not using now) and the beam is very tight. That one would be good for a longer pinpoint range ir but it is not good for a wide angle (very narrow beam).

Thanks bantham1, finally found it. Now I just got to wait the 2 weeks for it to arrive in Hawaii, so I can play with it.

Is this the Illuminator you guys are discussing? I like the LED array, I have a 900 lumen bike light with an LED array, its amazing for the price.

136325_1.jpg

136325_2.jpg

Yes that is the one. Don't have one yet though. 900 lumens? Thats brighter than the sun and blinding too!