Cooch1000

Samsung SDE-120, Linksys WRT54GS (bridged) and IE issues

I'm sure the answers are here, but I am frustrated beyond belief. I will try to keep this as simple and succinct as I can.

I have a Samsung SDE-120 (4 cams) wired to the DVR. I have done the following successfully:

~ Connected all cameras to DVR, viewable on VGA monitor

~ Connected DVR to PC via Ethernet Cable

~ Connected DVR/PC to Router (Linksys WRT54GS).

My host PC (WinXP Pro) receives its internet connectivity through a Wireless Bridge created through my Linksys Router. I have dd-WRT firmware on the Router to facilitate this bridge (the primary Router is a Belkin, DSL connection with Dynamic IP).

The Host computer HAS internet connectivity. I am able to access the DVR directly through the Webviewer at 192.168.2.21:8080

My problems are as follows:

1. Although all setup items appear to be successful, I am unable to use the http://xxxxxx99.websamsung.net:8080 URL to provide remote viewing as described in the user manual.

2. When checking network connections in the DVR settings, I am unable to establish and get email notifications, nor can I seem to upgrade DVR firmware.

I suspect my problems are:

~ There is a communication problem between my Bridged router and the PC. I am unable to set a Static IP and would like to remain with a Dynamic one, so as not to disrupt the connectivity at the MAIN HOST ROUTER/CONNECTION (Belkin).

In the meantime until I resolve this issue, I have been viewing my cameras on the Host PC using LOGMEIN. This is sufficient, but grainy and low quality.

Secondly, aside from the connectivity issue, when using Web Viewer with Internet Explorer at 162.198.2.21:8080, I get the following error message:

CreateDDSOffscreen Error

I can control and navigate the DVR, but I cannot see the images of the live feed. When I use FIREFOX, by contrast, I CAN see the live image, however cannot access the SEARCH tab to view events or set backups through the Web Viewer (quite frustrating).

The IMM4 codec was successfully installed.

In conclusion, I would like some help to determine:

1. Is this setup going to work (bridged WRT54GS with Dynamic IP) in order for me to use the Websamsung.net:8080 URL for remote viewing

2. I need assistance to determine if the Dynamic IP is also preventing my from doing Firmware and Email notification upgrades

3. Help with the IE 7 Webviewer Live Feed viewing problem (incidentally, the Snapshot feature WORKS and will store an actual image in the destination folder, even though I can't see it live.)

Thanks folks. If you need me to provide you with Specific settings (Gateway, Subnet, others) I can do so. I should also mention that I have NOT attempted any Port Forwarding since my ROUTERS are BRIDGED and I am using a Dynamic IP setup.

Much appreciated

Brian

If it helps any of you Network-Savvy Professionals, these are my current settings. My PC (WinXP) is getting internet connectivity through a LINKSYS WRT54GS Router running dd-WRT Firmware, Bridged to a Belkin Router with DSL. Samsung SDE-120 DVR to PC/Linksys Router via Ethernet Connections.

PC Network (ipconfig):

DNS Suffix: Belkin

IP: 192.168.2.6

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1

Main Router (DSL) (Belkin):

IP: 192.168.2.1

LAN Settings:

MAC Address: XX:XX:75:28:OD:89

DHCP Server: Enabled (3 LAN, 2 WLAN Clients)

Internet Settings:

Connection: Dynamic

WAN IP: 192.168.1.47

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS: 192.168.2.1

Bridged Router (connected to DVR/PC) - Linksys WRT54GS:

LAN IP: 192.168.2.3

WAN IP: Disabled

Firmware: dd-WRT v24-SP2

DHCP Server: Disabled

Local IP: 192.168.2.3

Gateway: 192.168.2.1

Local DNS: 192.168.2.1

DDNS: Disabled

Do Not Use External IP check: NO

Operating Mode: Gateway (Bridged)

DVR Settings (Samsung SDE-120):

IP (access from PC): 192.168.2.21:8080

DHCP: Checked (Active)

Gateway: 192.168.2.1

DNS1: 192.168.2.1

DNS2: 168.126.63.2

RTSP Port: 554

Web Server Port: 8080

DDNS: ON

Please help - as my workarounds due to the Bridged Network have created a convoluted whirlwind of numbers and I know I am missing the boat to make this work seamlessly!!

Brian

It would seem to me the part you are missing is the port forwarding on the Belkin Router of port 8080 to 192.168.2.21. You should set that to a static IP if it is possible.

Let me know if you need a more detailed explanation. I just purchased the SDE-120 and probably won't have time to set it up until this weekend but from a networking perspective, I believe that is the piece you are missing.

I was able to resolve the CreateDDSOffscreen Error

issue by port forwarding UDP & TCP port 554 to the DVR.

Hope that helps.

Personally, I would configure the DVR, computer and Linksys router as a separate network to avoid any possible conflicts with the Belkin.

Disconnect the Linksys from the Belkin and do a factory reset on the Linksys. This will change your Linksys router to 192.168.1.1 (default). Change your PC's IP address from 192.168.2.6 to 192.168.1.6 and the default gateway and DNS Server to 192.168.1.1 Remember to do either a Disable/Enable or Repair on your local area connection after making the changes.

Configure your DVR's network IP address to 192.168.1.21. Disable the DHCP and set to static. Change the Gateway and DNS Server to 192.168.1.1

Connect your PC to any Linksys LAN port and access the setup page. You can leave all the default settings as is except for Port Forwarding. Go to the Applications and Gaming Tab and select Port Forwarding. Enter any name you want for the applications. Starting and Ending port will be 8080, TCP to 192.168.1.21. Check Enable. Same for the RTSP port. Start and End will be 554, leave as Both to 192.168.1.21. Check Enable. Remember to save your settings at the bottom of the page.

Power down your PC, DVR and Linksys router. Connect your CAT5 from the Ethernet Port of the Linksys to any open LAN port on the Belkin. Your PC and DVR connect to any LAN port of the Linksys. Power up the Linksys and after is stabilizes, power up the PC and DVR. Check that you have internet access from your PC. If so, you should be good to go. You should also be able to access your DVR with it's DDNS name.

I had a problem getting the outbound email notifications working too, and found that it was the port # b/c this Samsung unit doesn't use the more common SSL, but rather TLS. For gmail, this is 587 instead of port 465. Once I changed that, the emails notifications worked fine.

However, I do have 2 issues w/ this unit:

1. the snapshot notifications that are sent triggered by motion can only be sent from one camera, even if the motion is detected by another camera - how lame is that?

2. Although I get "success" responses on the auto-port and port test for dynamic dns through Samsung's server, I can't access it successfully, and it doesn't allow me to select another ddns provider (appears to be unchangeable value).

I submitted support requests to Samsung for both issues. The quality of the cameras seems decent, but if I can't access the images remotely, I don't see the point in keeping the unit.

Hi,

You wrote:

"1. Although all setup items appear to be successful, I am unable to use the http://xxxxxx99.websamsung.net:8080 URL to provide remote viewing as described in the user manual."

My success method was:

STEP 1: Find my current home IP address. I went to www.whatismyip.com. The website gave my HOME IP as 75.2.8.112

STEP 2: From work, to view home, I typed:

http://75.2.8.112:8080

then, I pressed ENTER.

I could view my video (WITH FIREFOX, not INTERNET EXPLORER.)

So, let me present in parts:

http:// YOU MUST HAVE THIS.

75.2.8.112 WAS MY HOME IP ADDRESS. Your HOME IP address may be different. You must use your HOME IP ADDRESS.

: YOU MUST HAVE THIS DOT DOT (COLON : ).

8080 WAS THE PORT THAT MY DVR USED TO SERVE THE VIDEO.

So, if you HOME IP address will be 999.999.999.999, then,

you type:

http://999.999.999.999:8080

(AFTER your IP ADDRESS, Please remember the COLON : )

I hope this helps.

If you have anything helpful, please share. Thank you.

Thanks Learner2011. I actually realized a way around using Samsung's own dynamic dns setting -- don't know why I didn't think of it before.

I set my modem/router device to use dyndns.org's dynamic dns service instead, and then registered a host name (eg. "hotdog") under their free service. For example, if my ip is 75.75.75.75, I registered an account "wbathome" w/ dyndns, which picks up my ip from my router/modem (b/c I input my account and pw and host name in the router/modem's config). I can then access the viewing screen by browsing to "hotdog.dyndns.org:8080" from an external network.

I tested using Safari for the browser, and it take a little longer to load, but it works. This way i don't have to use a different ip address if my isp decides to issue me a different one, b/c the router and dyndns will dynamically change the ip address setting for me.

Now if I could only get the snapshot image notification to show different cameras automatically (based on which camera had the motion-triggered event)... Unfortunately, I haven't even received an acknowledgement email from Samsung support after I sent it last week.

I received the CreateDDSOffscreen Error when trying to view the Samsung Web Remote Viewer as well. Firefox and Chrome would work but didn't give me the ability to view recorded footage. I configured the Port Forwarding as suggested previously in this post but that didn't work.

What did work for me was to change the Render setting from DirectDraw to GDI.

- First, start IE and size the window to less than half the width of your display screen.

- Move the window to the left or right of your screen.

- You can now see the dialog box with the CreateDDSOffscreen error and can click the OK button. If you don't resize IE and move the window to the side, you can't access the dialog to click OK. You may need to click OK several times to get rid of it.

- Now, look for the drop down box that shows "Display Channel" just below the area that displays the video (the boxes will be black). Just to the right of the drop down menu you'll see 4 blue icons. The far right icon looks like a gear or snowflake. Click the icon. A dialog box will appear, select GDI and click Save.

- Exit IE and restart. Log into your Web Remove Viewer and the video should work now.

Instead of creating a totally new thread - I figured it may be best to "bump" this one, after I had found it during a search due to some minor issues I was experiencing w/ my Samsung SDE3000N (same as SDE-120, etc).

The past week, starting around or on July 11, 2011, I could not view my system via Remote Web Viewer (or the commonly known "websamsung.net" address). I could view the system while at home, but could not view it at all from any outside remote view when away from my primary location, regardless if via multiple smartphones or multiple other computer platforms (MAC or PC).

I then checked all of my WRT54G's settings, all of my SDE's network settings via the DVR and then did a "test" via the Network settings within the DVR menu (this is not available through the remote Set Up menu). The test was to ping the "websamsung" server - it immediately came back as "FAIL". Therefore, I knew at that moment that the problem was truly the websamsung server being completely inop.

I had performed an internet search via google with the term "websamsung down" and came across this thread (great relief & VERY helpful). After reading the info here, posted by both "wbathome" and "Learner2011", I tried both methods of bypassing the websamsung server and using either the direct IP address route AND/OR the dyndns.org setup - and each worked perfectly!

Personally, I like Learner2011's approach, only because it was just a simple and direct link by just merely inputting the IP addy into the search field of your browser and hitting enter - BINGO, I'm back to being able to review my system remotely!

Now - for those that do not know, who may be experiencing remote viewing issues with any Samsung DVR system - I did call Samsung today 07/15/11 - and spoke with their Tech Dept. Apparently the server which does link everyone to their remote view, has indeed CRASHED. The Tech guy said that it started going down sometime after July 4th and is completely inop as of now. They have their engineering Dept. working the issue to get everyone back online, however, he said the websamsung remote view server may not be back up and running until sometime next week at the latest.

IF you need to get ahold of anyone at Samsung for tech difficulties or remote view access issue with a DIY Samsung DVR system, here's some helpful info for future reference:

Samsung CCTV Customer Service #: 1-877-349-3149

Samsung CCTV Tech email: DGTECHDIY@GMAIL.COM

Using Learner2011's approach - I'm able to remote view my system from my smartphone (iPhone 4) and also any outside computer platform without any issues at all.

Thanks for a great forum and the helpful tech fellas!

Phil

I'm just installing my SDE-3000 and had glitches with the network settings and that software error. Thanks to everyone here all has been solved. Now if Samsung will fix their server so I can view the cameras via the Samsung SmartView app on my droid.

I am also having problems with my SDE-120. I went through the thread and unless I missed something I think my problem may be different.

When I connect to the web server while connected to the home network it works. However, when I connect from outside of the house (either through dydns or IP) I get error 10030. Its weird because I have other equipment that I am able to access through port forwarding from outside. I am stuck!

I emailed Samsung and the problem is with the standard port 8080. They told me to change it to something else and it works now.

Since 8080 is alternative to port 80, not usually a good idea to use that.

Honestly, I say scrap the whole samsung hosting thing and grab a FREE DynDNS sub-domain that will redirect to your DVR. The DVR, the router, or your PC can be set to update your WAN address in case it changes.

I was also having the same problem on the same router. all you should have to do is forward your ports to 80 and that should solve it? you said you are on att? if im not mistaken arent they a dynamic ip??? you need to set it to static so you can view it for more than 5 minutes ;o)