SVP

Paranormal team needs advice...

Greeting all. My name is Jay and I am the founder of a New England based paranormal research group. We currently have a VERY basic 4-channel DVR system that we take on the road with us. Well we quickly grew out of this system and are looking into upgrading to a 16 channel however I have very little knowledge of video systems and would like some suggestions. We are currently looking at this system: [edit by mod - store link removed] however feel that it may be overpriced. We are non-profit and all expenses come out of pocket, usually mine so with that being said are looking to get the most bang for our buck without going over budget. This company is asking $1700.00 for this system which is actually WAY more than we wanted to invest but due to the nature of what we do; we need a system that offers the best quality we can afford.

I spoke to the sales rep here and he was telling me that most systems can record just a few cameras in high quality and the rest at a lower quality simultaneously however with this particular system we can record with all the cameras in high quality at the same time. Based on the specs given what does he mean and can this system actually give us high quality recording on all channels?

Another issue we’re running into is that with the new system we want to also record audio to each camera. Can someone explain how I can accomplish this and where I can purchase good quality audio/video/power cables. The ones on e-bay are extremely thin and cheap.

Thanks for the help!!!

Sorry had to remove the store link, but it is this DVR:

http://www.genivtechnology.com/products-one/category-two/G4-RTAHD-D1

Im testing a 4 channel from the manufacturer they get that DVR from, which is in China.

Im testing the basic slimline one, its not bad, definitely full of features.

That unit has a different DSP which I imagine is what gives it the faster speeds.

Only major issue ive had is when I altered the quality bitrate, that it messed up things, but as mentioned its a different DVR type so cant say that unit will have the same issues. Anyway a simple firmware update will fix that and I know not to do that again

We have a customer who knows alot about equipment for Paranormal research. He actually takes some of our cameras and converts them somehow to make them alot more sensitive to light to be used for Paranormal reasearch. He also has some other good cameras too and he could probably refer you to a good DVR to use for that purpose. I PM'ed you his information.

Thanks for the info guys and thanks for the contact Sean. I'll call him today!!

What's the best place to purchase cables from? Any suggestions?

Sorry had to remove the store link, but it is this DVR:

http://www.genivtechnology.com/products-one/category-two/G4-RTAHD-D1

Im testing a 4 channel from the manufacturer they get that DVR from, which is in China.

Im testing the basic slimline one, its not bad, definitely full of features.

That unit has a different DSP which I imagine is what gives it the faster speeds.

Only major issue ive had is when I altered the quality bitrate, that it messed up things, but as mentioned its a different DVR type so cant say that unit will have the same issues. Anyway a simple firmware update will fix that and I know not to do that again

i am checking this one out now...

i may get it along with a PTZ camera

If you are planning to catch ghosts on camera i'd say any camera and dvr would do. If you plan on getting any reality connected objects on camera for a cheap buck you should take a look at Synology NAS. A few decent d/n cameras, a PoE-switch and a Synology DS210+ with for example 2X500 gb disks and you have a very nice little setup that will do a great job. IR-illumination would be recommended in dark areas.

I wouldn't go for an analog system today when you can get very nice cameras with higher resolution at a lower cost than good analog systems a few years ago.