G22

Single P4 3.4 or Dual Xeon 2.8

If you were going to run 2 - 4 cameras, each at 640x480+, 20-30fps each, and 24/7 recording, which would you choose? Both would use the same SATA HD's, 1GB+ RAM.

So a P4 3.4 w/1GB RAM will be able to handle 4 cams... each one running @ 30fps 640x480 (or 720x240) 24/7?

It's the Dell PE 1800 Tower I was looking at for Dual Xeon. Same one you guys offer.

I am getting around the same totals for the P4 3.4 HT I want to build and a basic PE 1800. In that case, which would you prefer?

Also, are the PE 1800's very noisy? I see they are very heavy though and deep.

Thx.

Yeah, the PE 1800's are not quiet. You can tell when it's starting up, and when it's generating heat. 2U racks and larger are generally not going to be quiet.

I just checked our GV800 system again which is only running 1 cam @ 30fps 640x480... and the CPU (P4 2.4) is at around 60% usage. I do not see how a 3.4 would be overkill... unless socket 775 is that much better? Our GV system uses S478.

G22, what type of chipset are you using on the mainboard? We use Intel 865 series.

Our CPU usage is 17% with a P4 2.8 800Mhz FSB. We use dual channel memory (2x256 PC3200), but make sure you use two channels or it will not HyperThread.

Also we noticed that if you place the GV board in PCI slot#1, the performance is far worse. Some mainboards share the same IRQ as the AGP slot, thus results in bandwidth congestion across the bus.

scottj

I will check again, but I do not think our CPU is a HT one. 533MHz FSB I believe. The MB is an ASUS P4PE w/845 chipset. The GV card is in the 2nd PCI slot as it was too close to the AGP card.

This is an obsolete system IMO, and prob explains why it is slower. It is in one of those Antec 3U rack cases that sounds like a jet engine. I had to take out a few of the fans since I could not hear myself think. It is pretty cool in there though which is a small closet really. We also have an APC Network Air 1000 in there which helps.

I don't know Geovision, but there is some onetime overhead, like the GUI, motion detection, ect.