From reading these forums I see that many people use RG6 and many others use RG59. I have read that RG6 has less impendence and seems to go longer distances without interference. With RG6 costing only pennies more, what real advantages are there in RG59 besides flexibiliy?

That site doesn't really show any advantages of RG59. Let's say we are comparing 95% copper RG6 with 95% copper RG59. Whats the difference then?

Hmmmm, well having used RG6 on jobs in the very far back past ... RG59 is much easier to use when connecting 16 cables to the back of a DVR, while Rg6 is a pain and does not bend as easy.

RG59 is basically easier to work with, and RG6 only gives you an extra 300' of distandce (RG59 - 1500', RG6 - 1800'). Ive used RG6 on a job and it got just as much interference as the RG59 did. Its really up to you. If you can find RG6 with Copper in and out, and same or near the price, and you dont mind working with it .. then go for it. But BNCs are also a pain to put on RG6. I still have a job with RG6 and Fconnectors/BCN adaptors, they loose video every so often as the connection between the 2 connectors is not "tight", when they knock the DVR they loose video and have to knock the DVR again .. no im not proud of it, I dindnt run the cable and suggested to them many times to replace it with RG59.

Rory

Seimese cable!!!, RG-59 w/ 2 X 16. Makes life so much easier!! How often do you really do a camera job with longer runs then 500' anyway?

to my knowledge,

RG-6 is best for exterior installations,

especially in places like canada when the temperature goes down to -30 c.

RG59 & RG6 refer to the size of the cable, not the construction. The proper cable for CCTV is SOLID COPPER CENTER and 95% COPPER BRAID.

As a rule of thumb RG59 is good for 750 to 1000 ft. There is a difference in the jacket between indoor cable and outdoor cable. When we go over 1000' we switch to UTP- Unshielded Twisted Pair with baluns. The cost of the baluns increases the cost, while the savings on labor and cable go down. We have pulled as many as 25 pairs vertically through a multi story apartment building in a single 1/2" conduit. Imagine how large 25 coax cables would be.

talking NVt active stuf right .. cause those cheap baluns never work properly ..