Accessing a Cctv on a Network behind a Router via Web

no - just a standalone DVR 0414 Series

TIMING – this is where you can set up the timed recording for the

DVR. As well as timed motion detection recording. There are two time

periods for recording. The set time in Time 1 and Time 2 is independent with

the set time in Motion detection. There is no week setting for Motion

detection.

Timing of motion detection: User can set two time periods during which the

DVR will use motion detection (and trigger recording / external alarm).

The set time will only be taken into effect when it is set to ON. If both motion

detection times are set to OFF, the DVR will not use motion detection.

IMAGE – this menu is used to set up the image-controls such as quality and

transmission protocols.

Net Transmission Protocol - There are two types of protocol: TCP and

Multicast. If you want to be able to visit the DVR via internet, you must

select TCP; if monitoring will be done via Intranet (LAN) a Multicast protocol

is applicable.

Multicast: the user with control power can view the image at will and other

users can only follow this user to view the image. 5 users are allowed to view

at the same time. Able to monitor 4 channels at the same time. TCP:

each user can view the image at will. According to the need, user can choose

the different protocol.

If it is through outer Ethernet you must choose TCP. 2 users are allowed to view at the same time.

Style - there are two options for video encoding, and they are VBR (Variable Baud Rate) and CBR

(Consistent Baud Rate). For VBR, the higher the level number (1 – 6) the better the quality of video.

For CBR, you can choose different frame-rates.

Still need a port number.

Are you accessing it on the local network? If so, are you using Windows Software, or Internet Explorer?

We will be accessing from the internet

want to type (external IP:PORT) then log in

currently

when being accessed locally - we just put 192.169.0.200

and it goes to the LOG-in Screen

Internet Explorer?? If so you can just forward port 80. Then let me know the IP so we can test it ... if it stil doesnt work then it needs to be put on the DMZ in the router.

Does it have any Windows Software also? As that normally uses a different port.

Rory

Rory,

There is only one model router from LinkSys (WRT54G ) that supports DynDns client, also there are some glitches with that. I think thats a wireless router no?

The Good

The good news with this router is that it probably won't send abusive updates and get your host blocked. This is a good thing.

Also, the router properly identifies itself to us when it submits an update, providing the model number and firmware. This may sound like a small thing, but it makes it much easier for us to troubleshoot when there is a problem.

The Bad

The update client interface has no way to set a number of optional parameters. Specifically there is no support for:

Turning on the Enable Wildcard option

Setting the Mail Exchanger field

Setting the Backup MX option

If you are using this router to update a host in our Custom DNS service, the above is not an issue. If you are using Dynamic DNS or Static DNS, this may be a problem for you.

Second, the router has no provision for sending an update if your IP address has not changed within the past 28 days. This is not a problem if you are using Custom DNS or Static DNS, but if you are using Dynamic DNS this may result in your host being deleted after 35 days. This can be avoided by purchasing an Account Upgrade.

Third, in order to update a host in either the Custom DNS or Static DNS service you will need to specify the service in the Hostname field along with the actual host name. For example, for a host in Custom DNS you would enter

example.com&system=custom

and for a host in Static DNS you would enter:

example.homeip.net&system=statdns

No, all the wired Linksys Routers I have used in the past couple months (4 and 8 channel versions all wired) have DDNS installed. I have no static IP and my DDNS account has been working flawlessly from day 1. Actually I have never used a wireless router.

When you say we, who is that?

Anwyay, Ive been using DynDns.org that is included in the router and it works everytime anyone tries to access it, never had an issue.

It may also depend on how often your ISP updates your IP though, not sure, mine doesnt update it that often, maybe every other day.

But with a non static account, it works great.

The last part you mentioned, I dont understand, doesnt seem to have any bearing on the current situation. As far as the other stuff like Mail Exchange etc, It doesnt have anything to do with accessing a DVR from a remote location when the DVR has no static IP. Rememeber we are talking accessing DVRs here without a static IP.

Rory

>No, all the wired Linksys Routers I have used in the past couple months >4 and 8 channel versions all wired) have DDNS installed. I have no static >IP and my DDNS account has been working flawlessly from day 1. Actually >I have never used a wireless router.

I looked at a Linksys BEFSR41 wired 4 port router and I dont see any provision for Dyndns service. Dyndns support site indicates only 1 Linksys router has a provison for the dyndns client.

What model router are you using. Maybe i have an old version.

>It may also depend on how often your ISP updates your IP though, not >sure, mine doesnt update it that often, maybe every other day.

Most ISP's never change the lease on the IP address, unless you power the DSL/Cable modem down for an extended period.

>The last part you mentioned, I dont understand, doesnt seem to have >any bearing on the current situation. As far as the other stuff like Mail >Exchange etc, It doesnt have anything to do with accessing a DVR from a >remote location when the DVR has no static IP. Rememeber we are >talking accessing DVRs here without a static IP.

The last part I mentioned was cut from the DynDns website, and lists what may not work with the client on the router. Specifically they say that the host account may get deleted due to inactivity. Done know if that happened to anyone yet.

Ive used several of them in the past couple months, 4 and 8 channels, and they all have DDNS.

The one i have right here is the BEFSR41, 4 channel, and i just hooked up the 8 channel version of that the other day, and also another 4 channel on Saturday which is a VPN Switch version.

You are right about the older ones, the older ones dont have DDNS, though this 4 channel is from back in August of last year ... think it had to do with when Cisco took over.

if PORT 80 is the DEFAULT PORT for the network

Is it an alternative to assign port 8080 (which is now open) to the camera/ dvr and do a Port Forward - just for that ONE internal IP

BUT - allow the rest of the network to remain undisturbed on PORT 80?

:idea: if PORT 80 is the DEFAULT PORT for the network

Is it an alternative to assign port 8080 (which is now open) to the camera/ dvr and do a Port Forward - just for that ONE internal IP

BUT - allow the rest of the network to remain undisturbed on PORT 80?

Okay, im lost now :-0

Port 80 is just the port that IE will recognise without you having to type the port number after the IP. You can use the other ports, but then you have to type those numbers after the IP address like : 24.244.111.45:81

You can also use 8080 once the Router isnt using it. Or you can use any of the other ones I listed before.

It wont effect any of the other computers by using Port 80, unless you want those computers to be a server also, and use port 80, then there will be a conflict.

Rory