securityusa

Accessing a Cctv on a Network behind a Router via Web

It is amazing how this forum has grown since we first joined - we were member #62 Xmas of 2003

One problem hope someone can solve

• 1- Have a Static IP 3K down 768K Up

2- Using a LAN with a Switcher behind a Router (Westell)

3- Want to access a Cctv / DVR on one of the Internal IP (192.168...) via the Public Web (want to avoid the cost of another Static IP)

4- Using Windows XP Pro - have VNC installed on SERVER - Am able to access with VPN

securityusa, you might want to plug that little security hole in your web site.

security hole

The Westell is model C90

Yes, it is a Verizon Thang, but has servered us Flawlessly for the past couple of years

We may also use a webcam on one of the computers if the DVR system is too complicated

but ideally, we would like to just type 68.111.11.111:8080 or whatever PORT and get access -- or use a domain name and forward

But we want to avoid another Static IP cost - because it just a'int necessary

The Westell is model C90

Yes, it is a Verizon Thang, but has servered us Flawlessly for the past couple of years

We may also use a webcam on one of the computers if the DVR system is too complicated

but ideally, we would like to just type 68.111.11.111:8080 or whatever PORT and get access -- or use a domain name and forward

But we want to avoid another Static IP cost - because it just a'int necessary

What DVR is it?

If you port forward, it will forward that request to the DVRs IP and the port number specified.

If it has an HTTP server (the DVR) then you can just type in the Ip in the browser and it would normally use port 80.

You can also sign up with a DDNS server such as DynDns.org and if you have 1 Static Ip just enter that in the account and create a name. Then you use the name instead of an IP.

So the question is, what DVR is it?

Rory

It is N-patrol -

a friend makes it - and we are testing it

by the way - if we used a Web Cam/camera instead what would be the path to take

we can see it internally on the computer it is attached to via the scanners and cameras area on windows

will try that as an experiment first

Find out what port it uses to connect to. If you are connecting locally already then you would know the port, or check the software for the port number.

Just go into the router set up and port forward that port. Trust me it is soo simple.

Rory

Ironically - it is simple - but several IT professionals with YEARS and YEARS of experience (REAL Experience - not academic) did not know

and wanted us to take the easy way out and get a static IP

How does on find out the port of the camera??

Well, easiest way is to read the DVR/Camera manual. Look for the network section of it. Also, if it comes with network software, check to see if in the connection area of it, if it shows a port number. Also check the server software/Programming (Network section of it) to see if a port is listed. Alot of times it can be as simple as just Port 80.

Basically in the Applications & Gaming Section / Servers of the Router, you need to add a Server/Application. Call it whatever you like.

Enter the port number and select TCP only. Where it sais Port 0 to 0 enter the same port number twice. Enter the DVR/Cameras internal IP. Enable it.

This way using your static IP from outside, and the DVR/Camera software it will connect to the DVR/Cameras Internal IP and port.

Next, it depends on the port and DVR. If it is using port 80 or you are connecting via Internet Explorer, you can goto DynDns.org and get a free account, set up a name and enter your static IP.

With the Linksys router you can enter your account info in the Router and it will update it regularly so you never need a static IP. Other routers also have this feature and support various DDNS companies.

Also, in the router, some stand alones require the DMZ to be enabled for that internal IP. PC DVRs never need it as far as I know.

Rory

then it is alright to assume, that using PORT 80 will NOT effect ANY of the other Networked computers' Web Experiences

or maybe one could substitute 8080 if it is a possibilty

It this goes right - will write a Press Release and get it on the Major Search Engines to share with others, and personally thank this forum

If the other computers on the network are simply browsing the web, no it will not effect them, as the port forward is just an incoming request to the Internal IP you set in the Router. You cannot have multiple port 80 forwarding in the same network though (as far as I know). The way I got around this was to set up a DynDns.org account, and set up something called a web hop.

How DynDns (and others like it) work, is you create a name with a selection of extensions. In my case I chose .gotdns.com, and created xtreme1.gotdns.com. Since i have no static IP, and the linksys router supports DynDns, I entered my account info in the Router and it syncs with the DynDns site to update my IP and assign it to my account name (xtreme1.gotdns.com). So all I have to do is enter my DnyDns name instead of remembering the IP. No matter what port or software I use I always enter Xtreme1.gotdns.com, unless the DVR Network Software only supports an actual IP address entry (eg. GE Kalatel WaveReader for one). Once the DVR has an HTTP Server then you can just type the name in Internet Explorer and it will redirect to the DVR.

Now, with 2 DVRs using Port 80, I had to change the 2nd one to Port 81, and port forward that to my 2nd DVRs Internal IP. I then created a WEB HOP in my account with DynDns and entered xtreme1.gotdns.com:81 as the IP to redirect to. This way, I created a WEB HOP under the name of rory.is.dreaming.org, okay its a little longer than a regular account name (and yeah I know the name itself was meant as a joke at the time ), but it works. The only draw back to the WEB HOP is there is an advertising Pop up with DynDns, though I have heard others dont have that; but I like DynDns and my Linksys router supports it. Router support of DDNS companies is essential for Stand Alone DVRs, PC DVRs you can alwaysrun a program such as the No-ip.com software - I prefer the router approach myself though.

If any of the other computers are set up as web servers, using port 80, then you would need to change the port in the DVR to another HTTP port. Most will allow this change.

There are other HTTP ports that can be used, such as Port 81, 82, 443, 8080, 8090. 8080 is commonly used in routers like Linksys so you cant use it in that case, or the router can also allow you to change its port to another HTTP port. Port 80 though is the main HTTP port recognised by the web browser, for the others to work you normally need to enter the port after the IP. http://www.grc.com/port_80.htm

Some ISPs block port 80 so this is useful in that case. If you visit GRC.com

(https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2) and their Shields Up Port Tester, you can find out what ports are open to the outside world on your network. You can also test indivdual ports as you open them up in the router. If you havent port forwarded then they will generally all be closed when using a router or firewall, the most common ones at least. If you port forward port 80, and the DVR still does not connect from a remote site, then check the GRC site and if the port is closed, it means the ISP is blocking it.

Hope this helps some ..

Rory

Edited by Guest

I believe Verizon blocks incomming port 80.

The person on this forum who's ISP was blocking port 80, eventually contacted the ISP and they removed the block. Dont know the exact circumstances though nor the ISP.

When someone tries to connect to port 80 of your IP address, they are trying to connect to your actual modem, but it will not "hear" that request, because your ISP plugs 80. If you set the modem to forward port 5050 (http://your-ip-address:5050) and it "hears" that request, it will know to go to port 80 on 192.168.x.1 If you need another, you can forward another port (say port 5193) to computer/dvr/cam to 192.168.x.2 on port 80. So the second addy would read "http://your-ip-address:5193". You can go on. Mine is a little more complicated, because I am behind the modem and 2 routers, just to be a bit more safe and to keep the naughty bits out.

The person on this forum who's ISP was blocking port 80, eventually contacted the ISP and they removed the block. Dont know the exact circumstances though nor the ISP.

You can, for an additional monies. They make you upgrade to a busine$$ account.

Do you have a users manual in PDF that you could email me?

Or do they have a web site with support downloads?

I have to go out for an hour or so to adjust some new cameras, ill check when I get back.

Thanks

Rory

hard to believe they sell that DVR for over a grand. I can buy that for one fourth of that cost, but like a wise man once said..."You can't shine a turd".

scottj

It needs a user and password to access it ..

if you cant give that out, you could email me it, my email is on the bottom of this message.

Rory

Ill try their demo and see if I can get the port from that, will let you know ..

Okay, well their Embedded DVR demo is just a basic AvTech web Server thing ... port 80, doesnt look like the same DVR .. is your DVR a NG series DVR?