Sign in to follow this  
LordSabre

Need some help with a 15 camera system

Hello, I am very glad I found these forums as I was able to find so much information regarding the cards and cards vs standalones. I decided to go for the NV6480EXP as I didn't really have the budget for a 8416 nor do I require real time on all cameras at all times. (the previous owner has left me with an antique 3 camera system that runs when it feels like)

Anyway needed some help with the PC system. I will be running 15 cameras and I am not sure any of them will be mp cameras. Posted http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23118&start=0 in the camera section for more help regarding that. The main reason I am getting the CCTV is so that I can remotely access it from my iPhone/home computer. Also, I wish to have it record for at-least 14 days, 20 would be ideal. I read in one of the other threads using the same card they were using about 100GB per camera per month. So would I be OK if I got a 1TB hard-drive for storage? Also is it possible to compress in real-time, as I read the card does not come with hardware compression. I also plan on getting 1 PTZ camera, are they controllable via iPhone or remote access?

What kind of system am I looking at here as far as video card, processor and ram goes? Also read something about aspect ratio problem with the avermedia software which would mean I would have to get a non widescreen monitor. Is this true? Also for the remote viewing what kind of upload speeds would I need on the internet connection?

Thanks!

Josh

Hello, I am very glad I found these forums as I was able to find so much information regarding the cards and cards vs standalones. I decided to go for the NV6480EXP as I didn't really have the budget for a 8416 nor do I require real time on all cameras at all times. (the previous owner has left me with an antique 3 camera system that runs when it feels like)

Anyway needed some help with the PC system. I will be running 15 cameras and I am not sure any of them will be mp cameras. Posted viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23118&start=0 in the camera section for more help regarding that. The main reason I am getting the CCTV is so that I can remotely access it from my iPhone/home computer. Also, I wish to have it record for at-least 14 days, 20 would be ideal. I read in one of the other threads using the same card they were using about 100GB per camera per month. So would I be OK if I got a 1TB hard-drive for storage? Also is it possible to compress in real-time, as I read the card does not come with hardware compression. I also plan on getting 1 PTZ camera, are they controllable via iPhone or remote access?

What kind of system am I looking at here as far as video card, processor and ram goes? Also read something about aspect ratio problem with the avermedia software which would mean I would have to get a non widescreen monitor. Is this true? Also for the remote viewing what kind of upload speeds would I need on the internet connection?

Thanks!

Josh

Hi josh. when building a 16 camera system you need to take into account cost. sometimes it is cheaper to buy made. take a look at the avermedia 9000 pro or the avermedia SA6000e ............. the cost of building a 16 and buying the sa6000e is not much more.

Well I wanted something easily expandable (as I might buy the other building). Also I don't see how $3.1k for the SA6000E is anywhere close to $840 for NV6480EXP card + lets say even a $1000 computer. Anyway we digress, need some help here! I wanna get the system up and running before it becomes a frozen hell here haha.

Well I wanted something easily expandable (as I might buy the other building). Also I don't see how $3.1k for the SA6000E is anywhere close to $840 for NV6480EXP card + lets say even a $1000 computer. Anyway we digress, need some help here! I wanna get the system up and running before it becomes a frozen hell here haha.

http://www.averusa.com/surveillance/productdetail.aspx?id=136

At least 1TB should be good for that amount of storage. There are many factors to consider that affect the amount of storage that is used; like FPS and record quality for example. Whatever you do don't buy the 'green' drives - they are slower, break easier, and aren't meant for constant R/W of surveillance software.