halam

IDE HDD special type?

hi

i would like to know if there is a special type of ide hard drive for my dvr (like the sata hard drives) or should i just get a normal ide computer hard drive and put that in?

ps, what is the difference between the types of ide hdd?

regards

hi

i would like to know if there is a special type of ide hard drive for my dvr (like the sata hard drives) or should i just get a normal ide computer hard drive and put that in?

Impossible for anyone to say without knowing at least the make and model of your DVR. Some are very forgiving and will work with almost any drive with the right interface (PATA or SATA); some are very picky and only work with a few drives. Usually the DVR's manual will list what drives are supported.

ps, what is the difference between the types of ide hdd?

Depends on what you mean by "types"... PATA vs. SATA?

Both are IDE (Internal Drive Electronics). PATA (Parallel ATA) have a wide 40-pin data connector; SATA (Serial ATA) have a 7-pin card-edge type connector:

SATAPATA-1.jpg

thanks but what i ment was that with a sata hdd you can get av hard drives that are made for stata hard drives, is there any type like the av one for ide/pata hdd or is it worth just getting a normal computer hdd with pata connections

thankyou

ps my dvr is an avtech kpd604 4 ch it has ide/pata connection wires

regards

PATA drives also use normal Molex power connectors while SATA drives have a special SATA power connector. SATA is also a lot faster.

Some SATA drives (mainly older ones) also have the ATX power Molex.

thanks but what i ment was that with a sata hdd you can get av hard drives that are made for stata hard drives, is there any type like the av one for ide/pata hdd or is it worth just getting a normal computer hdd with pata connections

thankyou

ps my dvr is an avtech kpd604 4 ch it has ide/pata connection wires

regards

There are "AV-grade" PATA drives but they aren't as plentiful... and in fact, PATA drives in general are getting harder to find. Might be easier to find "enterprise" grade PATA drives.

also the 7200rpm PATA drives are much slower, like a 30 max speed compared to current SATA drives which are 130 average, or even Sata drives from a couple years ago which averaged 55. It probably wont make much of a difference with some stand alone DVRs anyway, even the old GE drives required the old 5400rpm drives, though that was mostly due to the factory power supply. I recently had to put in a "new" PATA drive in an old PC DVR whose hard drive went bad, thats when I tested the PATA speed.

so if i bought a sata av hdd and bought the adaptors that will change the connectors from pata to sata will the hard drive still work?

if it came built for PATA then using SATA wont help, other than if you cant find a PATA drive.

^Right... the speed limitation is in the interface, so using a SATA drive through a PATA adapter will just choke it off to the same speed as a PATA drive. It should WORK (although some DVRs might not like it), but you won't really gain anything other than a larger selection of drives.

so if i bought a sata av hdd and bought the adaptors that will change the connectors from pata to sata will the hard drive still work?

quite possible that it won't work. a lot of the adaptors don't allow the ata commands through.

you still can get ide hard drives, IDE AV drives.

don't worry about speed, if the DVR is made for IDE then any new IDE drive will be fast enough.

thanks, is it possible to buy a 1tb pata hdd i cant seem to find any

not to sure, i've only seen up to 500gig. however the big limitation is often the DVR. my DVR only handles up to 400gig anyway.

if you really need 1T or more then its time to upgrade the DVR.

not to sure, i've only seen up to 500gig. however the big limitation is often the DVR. my DVR only handles up to 400gig anyway.

if you really need 1T or more then its time to upgrade the DVR.

biggest ive found here now is 160GB.

seems they stopped importing anything larger.

but I agree if you want more space and it is an IDE DVR might be best to sell that one off cheap to someone else and use that money towards a new DVR with SATA.

And as mentioned the DVRs might only support up to 500GB, or 1 drive.

Hi halam. am having a hard time understanding your posts. you are making hard work for yourself ....... your first posts was what dvr to buy then you asked what H/D and we said it was best to order your dvr with it fitted........... you did not..........now your asking about differant H/D to buy and you are looking at pata. why.

your dvr is on sata ...... WD black sata 1TB pc world £52.

Hi halam. am having a hard time understanding your posts. you are making hard work for yourself ....... your first posts was what dvr to buy then you asked what H/D and we said it was best to order your dvr with it fitted........... you did not..........now your asking about differant H/D to buy and you are looking at pata. why.

your dvr is on sata ...... WD black sata 1TB pc world £52.

the reason why im looking for a pata hard drive becase the dvr that ive got has got the pata/ide connectors not the sats connectors