craigaz

Box Camera & Illuminator question.

Please be gentle - I'm a noobie.

I am installing a box camera w/ a 5-100mm zoom on my home to catch license plates on cars leaving my cul-de-sac. Now for the question - Will any box camera work with an IR illuminator? I plan on using this one: http://www.apexcctv.com/p-653-ir-illuminator.aspx from Apex CCTV. I would hate to go through all the trouble to find out the camera doesn't work with IR.

FWIW - distance from camera/illuminator to subject is about 150 feet.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Craig,

More importantly, we need to know what camera you will be using as most cameras without IR LED's on them have IR filters on them and will not see IR on them, an exception would be a true day/night camera. So to answer your question "Will any box camera work with an IR illuminator?" A straight up answer is No, but some will. Just let us know the model # and we can tell you.

Sean,

Thanks for the quick response. I haven't settled on a camera yet so I guess I'm still ahead of the curve. I am looking for something in the 525+ TVL category that will survive the Arizona sun in an outdoor enclosure.

Since I haven't made my purchase yet the best bet might be to just go with a day/night camera with an IR filter and be done with it.

Any suggestions?

You just happened to ask this while another thread was going on with similar content, check it here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23218

The BBM-24F would be great for that area. It lets IR in at night and doesnt allow it in during the day. Has 600 TVL and good back light compensation.

If you want your IR to shine out 150 feet then you will definetely need to get a nice IR illuminator, perhaps someone else can recommend one for that distance.

If you want your IR to shine out 150 feet then you will definetely need to get a nice IR illuminator, perhaps someone else can recommend one for that distance.

In addition to relatively high power IR, you also want a narrow beam so that most of the light is aimed at the car and not wasted on a wide field of view.

Best,

Christopher

Thanks for all the great info! This the illuminator I plan on using:

[edit by mod-store link removed]

Hopefully it will do the trick!

Thanks again,

Craig

Hmm, that may be a little too cheap of a unit. Someone post a good looking $100 unit recently. Was that CNB?

Best,

Christopher

Hmm, that may be a little too cheap of a unit. Someone post a good looking $100 unit recently. Was that CNB?

Best,

Christopher

Does anybody have experience with the illuminator above? I looked up the CNB MIR3000 and it looks pretty impressive.