Toaster

Help me find good outdoor camera's cheap.

I know this is a generic and probably a unpopular question, but here's the thing - I'm new to this cctv thing, and don't want to throw money away on useless products. I can't afford the "pro" stuff (ie: $300 each cameras).

I'm in the market for 4 to 8 addition cameras, changing from 4ch systems at work and home to 8ch systems at both locations. I'd like dome cameras just because I think they look cool, but bullet cameras are fine too.

I'm recording D1 across all channels, and I'm using analog (bnc connectors) dvr's so IP camera's are not an option for me (unless you guys know something I dont). I don't want to post links, as I know that is frowned upon. But I have found some amazing sounding deals online, like 1/3 sony ccd 420tvl ir outdoor domes from china for around $50 each shipped...

There are also a few buzz words that I really don't understand, like "TRUE DAY & NIGHT" - I'm assuming this is not the same as the camera having ir led's fr night vision...? And the ir cut filter - I've seen the comparisons (thanks to rory's signature) though I have only seen this option listed 1 el-cheapo camera from clover (the oc175 @ $39 from frys electronics).

I guess I'm asking for a little help to avoid getting burned... Trying to buy CCTV locally is either way out of my price budget, and/or the sales associates have NO CLUE how to answer my questions or information about the products... and its frustrating to ask a question and watch them get the box and try to read the specs to answer my question. I KNOW HOW TO READ! I COULD HAVE READ THE BOX. But in all fairness - I don't know anything about this stuff either, and you guys do... that's why I'm asking for help.

Feel free to email or PM me with links... THANKS IN ADVANCE!

You'll get a lot of recommendations for CNB on this site... We've installed many and they aren't bad, but they aren't the best (in class) I've tested either. I'm a dealer for CNB and still sell quite a bit to those that insist, but I prefer some unbranded units we get straight from Korea that knock the socks off of CNB for around the same amount of cash. Matter of fact... I sold a CNB VCM-24VF to a customer recently that insisted. I convinced him to let me also send him the equivalent in my unbranded units for comparison... He ended up returning the CNB.

Don't buy anything at Fry's... that's all cheap Chinese crap. Worst of the worst, that you pay dollars on the pennies for. When I first started my own business I tested everything they sold related to CCTV...

I'm assuming "CNB" is what? chinese name brand??? or is that actually something else...?

I'm trying to find out what can I buy in the $50 to $75 price range that's good. I don't want to sepnd $125-$300 per camera... I simply can't afford it, especially this time of year.

CNB is Korean

CNB have good domes but I didnt have any good experiences with their IR bullets.

KT&C is also Korean and have many mini cameras and some decent IR bullets.

They also have color only and BW only mini bullets, good for where it is not pitch dark and lower cost alternative to TDN and better image that Color IR in most cases.

I'm trying to find out what can I buy in the $50 to $75 price range that's good. I don't want to sepnd $125-$300 per camera... I simply can't afford it, especially this time of year.

You're not going to find any "good" outdoor cameras in that price range. I would just stick with the cheapo cameras that your package came with. Investing in a camera in that price range will not really yeild that huge a difference.

I would recommnd investing in a couple cams at a time instead of all at once. Go for quality, not quantity. These days around $150 can buy a pretty decent outdoor camera...something you won't be having to replace in 6 months due to failure or unsatisfactory results. Crime is not a temporary problem, don't invest in a temporary solution.

Alright, here's a question... How much does someone need to spend to get a good solid camera? Something with enough TVL, CCD, etc to get a nice sharp clear analog image at D1.

As a consumer, I had no idea there was soooo much variance between cameras. I always assumed the "consumer" brand stuff available at Fry's, CompUSA, etc wasn't top of the line, but I would NEVER have guessed, based on how cheap the DIY bundles are - it would take 5x to 10x as much to get that much better system.

So again, can someone recommend a good quality camera without breaking the bank?

I prefer some unbranded units we get straight from Korea that knock the socks off of CNB for around the same amount of cash.

Can you post some comparison photos?

Best,

Christopher

Alright, here's a question... How much does someone need to spend to get a good solid camera? Something with enough TVL, CCD, etc to get a nice sharp clear analog image at D1.

As a consumer, I had no idea there was soooo much variance between cameras. I always assumed the "consumer" brand stuff available at Fry's, CompUSA, etc wasn't top of the line, but I would NEVER have guessed, based on how cheap the DIY bundles are - it would take 5x to 10x as much to get that much better system.

So again, can someone recommend a good quality camera without breaking the bank?

not much these days, depends on the application.

CNB DFL-20s is great for indoors and its dead cheap.

CNB VBM/VCM-24VF is great for most other apps. Also not expensive.

CNB VBB-34VF is a WDR Double Scan Camera, also not THAT expensive.

KT&C has mini color bullets with 3.6mm 1/3" fixed lens, cheap and real colors.

or BW bullets for even less for low light apps that dont need color in the day

For True Day Night IR bullets though expect to pay almost double the price of say the CNB VBM/VCM type domes, KT&C have something similar in the KPC-N500 TDN IR bullet with ICR, 600TVl with 2.8mm-12 lens and OSD but its still alot cheaper than using something like an EX-82 from Bosch (use to be Extreme CCTV).

You can find much of the CNB cameras I listed with demo videos on Youtube.

ofcourse all that costs 3 times to sell here in the Bahamas due to International shipping and customs duty so its probably the same cost here as you would get a panasonic for in the US LOL.

I prefer some unbranded units we get straight from Korea that knock the socks off of CNB for around the same amount of cash.

Can you post some comparison photos?

Best,

Christopher

Sure. I thought the were in my dropbox, but can't find them. I'll look when I get back to the house.

not much these days, depends on the application.

CNB DFL-20s is great for indoors and its dead cheap.

CNB VBM/VCM-24VF is great for most other apps. Also not expensive.

CNB VBB-34VF is a WDR Double Scan Camera, also not THAT expensive.

KT&C has mini color bullets with 3.6mm 1/3" fixed lens, cheap and real colors.

or BW bullets for even less for low light apps that dont need color in the day

For True Day Night IR bullets though expect to pay almost double the price of say the CNB VBM/VCM type domes, KT&C have something similar in the TDN IR bullet with ICR, 600TVl with 2.8mm-12 lens and OSD but its still alot cheaper than using something like an EX-82 from Bosch (use to be Extreme CCTV).

You can find much of the CNB cameras I listed with demo videos on Youtube.

ofcourse all that costs 3 times to sell here in the Bahamas due to International shipping and customs duty so its probably the same cost here as you would get a panasonic for in the US LOL.

I see. Just have to ask the question the right way!