geraldhumphreys

Ip cameras on embedded DVR

Hi Guys

Is there a way to connect ip cameras to an embedded/standalone dvr? I have a client who asked me this and i told him i will get back to him. Im sure there must be a converter or something to be able to allow this.

Hi Guys

Is there a way to connect ip cameras to an embedded/standalone dvr? I have a client who asked me this and i told him i will get back to him. Im sure there must be a converter or something to be able to allow this.

they would be no point. ip is digital your dvr is analog.

Hi Guys

Then won't an analog to digital converter work?

Hi Guys

Then won't an analog to digital converter work?

analog to digital are user to put a standard camera onto a network. so no that will not work for you.

if you just have a standard dvr (not hybrid) then you can only use analog cameras

Yes you can use a Video Decoder to decode the network video.

But it will depend on the camera, you would need to check with the IP camera manufacturer. For the cost of the decoder you could normally buy a couple good non IP cameras.

Im still pretty new to the cctv stuff and just started working at a cctv company doing all the networking of stuff.

My boss just gave a me network video server to play around with, which converts bnc cameras into IP cameras and it actually works very good. So in other words it is converting analog into digital, Am i correct?

Im still pretty new to the cctv stuff and just started working at a cctv company doing all the networking of stuff.

My boss just gave a me network video server to play around with, which converts bnc cameras into IP cameras and it actually works very good. So in other words it is converting analog into digital, Am i correct?

yes you are correct. and its connected to your network

Right. So you'd need a decoder to convert that digital signal back to analog to feed to your DVR. But as Rory notes, that won't be cheap, so unless there's a particular need to feed a camera over the network, or the boss is into spending the money just to experiment, it won't be a very cost-effective exercise.

Back to the original question, "is there a way to connect ip cameras to an embedded/standalone dvr?" - as with much else, the answer is, "it depends". Some embedded DVRs DO have IP camera support, so it would depend on the actual unit you have. It would also depend on whether it has support specifically for that camera (or video server, in your case).