daniely87

choice of cameras...night vision....wide angle...low light

Hello everyone!

i am trying to choose some cameras for a building, there is zero to little light, i really need to cover 2 sides, so 2x 90 degree cameras, possibly 2 x 120 degree angle lens cameras. I have virtually made my mind up on 5 megapixels over 1.3 (IP cams)

but...do i go for a camera with built in IR LEDS's or not...at the moment, unless you all have any other suggestions, it is between these 2 cameras.

http://www.x-vision.co.uk/product.php?xProd=445&xSec=248

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_p3344ve/

the axis has no IR LED's built in, yet costs approximately 15% more, then separate IR LEDS will cost another £200....they both have the same compression formats / resolutions / frame rates. The xvision says 30m night vision...and it is from the professional range....any thoughts? thanks in advance

find a local dealer and get a demo of both the cameras if possible, if the lighting is poor you will probably have to add separate IR illuminators to "light up" the area at night.. id also suggestion Mobotix M12 d/n camera

good luck

pg

find a local dealer and get a demo of both the cameras if possible, if the lighting is poor you will probably have to add separate IR illuminators to "light up" the area at night.. id also suggestion Mobotix M12 d/n camera

good luck

pg

Absolutely.

Go with separate illuminators... you're going to need them to cover that large an area.

Skip the IR and add a couple motion-activated floodlights. The white light will give you better image than IR (in color, too), and a bright light snapping on, if not enough to scare an intruder away, will usually at least entice him to look for the source of the light (a natural reaction), which if it's fairly near the camera, means you should get clearer facial shots.

Skip the IR and add a couple motion-activated floodlights. The white light will give you better image than IR (in color, too), and a bright light snapping on, if not enough to scare an intruder away, will usually at least entice him to look for the source of the light (a natural reaction), which if it's fairly near the camera, means you should get clearer facial shots.

An excellent point. When you have the option of using visible light, you should strongly consider it. It's much cheaper than going the IR route, provides some additional deterrence, and actually provides some color images.