IWantCCTV

Residential system help

Hi all,

I am an electrician who specializes in security and fire alarm. So if I can help anyone out in that area please don't hesitate to ask. Network cameras are 100% new to me.

I have a home (mine) that I am trying to replace my old CCTV system. I have 4 CCTV cameras all wired back to a Swan DVR device on a PC. I am looking to replace all 4 of my outdoor cameras with a new IP based system. It is a mixmatch of cameras that are really of poor quality.

My requirements are as follows

- View all 4 cameras on one computer screen at the same time

- Be able to record the footage from at least one of the cameras

- Viewable on iPhone, Mac and PC (must be visible on PC and iPhone simultaneously)

- I am in New England so the cameras must tolerate low temp, wind and rain.

- Night vision

IF you feel that a conventional system is the way to go with decent outdoor cameras and a DVR that is visible on the above mentioned devices (and has VGA out) please direct me in this route. I would like to spend around 500-600USD so I know the network route might be a bit difficult.

Hopefully someone out there has some ideas for me! If I need to clarify anything please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Guest

I am an electrician who specializes in security and fire alarm. So if I can help anyone out in that area please don't hesitate to ask. Network cameras are 100% new to me.

I have some questions. I'll ask in a separate thread to avoid high-jacking this one.

I am looking to replace all 4 of my outdoor cameras with a new IP based system.

My requirements are as follows

What is your budget?

Best,

Christopher

cglaeser feel free to PM me. Also I added some info to my post above. My budget is around 5-600USD .

Hi iwantCCTV. you are going to have a problem $600 for nvr and cameras is way to low ...... its even low for a good budget standard camera system. if that is your budget then i would start with a hybrid dvr and add to it when you can over time. using your existing cameras and adding ip as and when the price drops.

My budget is around 5-600USD .

That's a pretty tight budget. Even if you already had a good PC with sufficient storage, you will need NVR software, power supply (PoE switch is recommended for ease of use), cable, and cameras. Budget IP cameras are typically more than budget analog CCTV cameras. One option is to purchase/build a DVR/NVR hybrid using your existing cameras, and then add/swap-in IP cameras over time when budget permits.

Best,

Christopher

Ok well lets go this route.

can anyone recommend a DVR system that i can view on my iPhone? I have looked around but there is so much crap out there!