lawmanbpd

Samsung SDE-3000 Noob Questions

Hi,

Just installed a Samsung SDE-3000 4 Channel DVR system in my home. I have several questions that are not addressed in the manual and tech support is very hard to get a hold of !!

The cameras are Samsung SOC-A100 and the DVR is Samsung SDE-3000N.

1. The main problem I am having is that the e-Mail notification is not working. The network is set up and working fine. I have no problem accessing the system remotely, and I have all the mail settings entered exactly as in my Outlook. However, the email test always fails. Anyone have any suggestions ?

2. There is a setting for remote controller where you set an ID #. I have no idea what this is !!

3. What is the difference in the record settings in choosing Motion or continuous motion ??

4. In setting up record quality, there is a FPS setting that has a numerical value. ie. 3 remaining. If I set the cameras to a higher resolution, it goes to a negative value and I cannot save it. Is there a limitation on camera resolution and if so is there a way to increase it ?

I'll save the other questions for another post !!

Thanks for your help !!

Hi,

Just installed a Samsung SDE-3000 4 Channel DVR system in my home. I have several questions that are not addressed in the manual and tech support is very hard to get a hold of !!

The cameras are Samsung SOC-A100 and the DVR is Samsung SDE-3000N.

1. The main problem I am having is that the e-Mail notification is not working. The network is set up and working fine. I have no problem accessing the system remotely, and I have all the mail settings entered exactly as in my Outlook. However, the email test always fails. Anyone have any suggestions ?

2. There is a setting for remote controller where you set an ID #. I have no idea what this is !!

3. What is the difference in the record settings in choosing Motion or continuous motion ??

4. In setting up record quality, there is a FPS setting that has a numerical value. ie. 3 remaining. If I set the cameras to a higher resolution, it goes to a negative value and I cannot save it. Is there a limitation on camera resolution and if so is there a way to increase it ?

I'll save the other questions for another post !!

Thanks for your help !!

These are generic replies as I do not have the samsung, nor do I have knowledge specific to the samsung.

1 (email): Depending on WHO your smtp server is, and how its configured or more accurately how you log in to it, that's obviously your problem. Probably either PORT # or SSL. (I had a clover DVR that would not connect to an smtp server (gmail) via SSL so it would not send email notifications). I would suggest trying another smtp (mail sending server) host. Either GMAIL (which does require SSL) or maybe hotmail.com which I believe does NOT require SSL login. Your ISP should offer you smtp access as part of your service with them (free), if not there are LOTS of free email hosts out there.

2 (remote control id): I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing its the unique id between the remote and client servers?

3 (motion/continuous record): Motion record will only record video during motion triggered events (ie: it detects motion and records for 15 seconds or whatever you have it set to). Continuous record is just that, record during the timeframe you set (24/7 or 9-5 or 5-9 or whatever you need/want)

4 (fps): Most DVR's will have a maximum number of Frames Per Second (FPS) they can record, and that will change based on your recording quality and setting. CIF recording resolution is 320x240 pixels and "real time" means it records at 30 FPS at that resolution. Then D1 for example is 704x480 resolution and because it requires more hardware power to record more number of pixels, it may record in fewer FPS. Your samsung probably has a maximum number of FPS the DVR can record, and this number will most likely be shared between ALL 4 CAMERA at a given resolution or recording quality. So as an example if you have 30 FPS max at D1 resolution you'll get 7.5 FPS (frames per second) in D1 (704x480) resolution per camera. or if you have 120 FPS at CIF (or real time cif recording) then you'll get 30 FPS at CIF (320x240) per camera (30x4=120, or 7.5x4=30 ... get it). Sounds like the DVR is telling you how many FPS you have left when you adjust the settings. So you may want to play around until you find the balance you like, but the general consensus here is 7 FPS is plenty for evidence/security purposes especially at D1 resolution. As someone told me, you're not filming a movie, you're recording security video just in case.

MY DISCLAIMER: I'm no pro, I'm new here too - These are just some of the basics I have picked up reading here... And I'm trying to help answer questions if I know the answers... You know so I can feel important and all I'm sure anyone else will who will be more knowledgeable than me will step up and chime in.

On a side note: I'd LOVE to see some sample video clips from your samsung setup. The specs on the cameras seem really nice (600TVL) - and I've seen the DIY combo on line, I'd VERY MUCH like it if you could download a couple of short 15-30 second video clips (1 during the day, and 1 at night) with someone walking around or driving up or something, to show some detail... and post them so we can all see.

CHECK THIS THREAD FOR INFORMATION AND HOW TO POST VIDEO CLIPS.

Hi,

Please tell me how did you configured your system so that you can access the cameras within a bowser? Did you have to port forwarding your network setup?

Thanks,

Jacob

I just installed the SDE-120N, which I believe uses the same cameras as the 3000. Here's what I know so far from mine:

For the emails to be sent there is a setting that says Security and it's either on or off. On requires that the SMTP server be SSL capable. Off will allow sending to a non-SSL capable mail server.

I'm still trying to figure out the rest of it. One thing I can't quite figure out is there are three main settings for recording. One is Motion, one is continuous and the other Continuous/Motion. The first two are obvious, but the Continuous/Motion has me a little baffled.

With Motion, you set x seconds before and after the event for recording, along with the motion detection area (motion detection by the way works very well with this system). Continuous is what it is. What I believe Continuous/Motion does is start the recording and continue recording throughout the event with some threshold for no motion to trigger the end of the event. But, my testing still hasn't proven this is the actual function of this setting.

The manual for the system is horrible. While it's understandable in what it does say for the most part, it doesn't explain what particular settings do. It's very much an experiment and I haven't had a lot of luck finding information on the specifics of the system.

I have also been unable to get full use of the web interface. I can make changes to the configuration, but cannot view, search or playback video, which it should do.

There are other little quirky things I don't care for that I feel it should be able to do, such as automated backup to either a network location or external USB drive. You can do manual backups, but automated would be much better. It also has a tendency to falsely detect motion at night with the outside cameras... VERY frequently I might add. I knocked down the sensitivity and it helped slightly. I have another night vision in the garage and it never falses, so not sure what's outside that keeps triggering it. Other than the minor quirks, it's a nice system for the money. Less than $600 for the SDE-120 with 2 night vision cameras and 2 normal cameras. It also has hookups for 4 other BNC connected video cameras just for monitoring (no recording of these) and connections for external alarm functionality.

I'll see if I can come up with some video from it to post.

I found out what Continuous/Motion does. It continuously records same as Continuous mode, but will highlight change the color of time periods in the search function screen showing periods of motion during recording... usually. I found playing with it that with a lot of obvious motion (me walking around in front of the cameras) it won't always flag a period in time as sensing motion. It's inconsistent.

I did find one function that is completely useless and that is email notification of motion events. It sends snapshots, but rarely do they capture what the camera actually saw during the event. So far it also has only sent images from one camera even though I set it to send images from 2 cameras. The email will show which channels had motion events, but only one channel is ever shown.

I'm still unable to control search functions or see video using Internet Explorer even following the instructions in the manual. I can see live video of one camera at a time using Firefox and Safari, but cannot control search functions. With any browser I can change most of the settings.

I still like the system as I feel it's a good value for the price, but the lack of a quality user manual and the quirks of the software make it somewhat frustrating to setup. I've emailed support several times and to date have not gotten any calls or return emails.

I found out what Continuous/Motion does. It continuously records same as Continuous mode, but will highlight change the color of time periods in the search function screen showing periods of motion during recording... usually. I found playing with it that with a lot of obvious motion (me walking around in front of the cameras) it won't always flag a period in time as sensing motion. It's inconsistent.

I did find one function that is completely useless and that is email notification of motion events. It sends snapshots, but rarely do they capture what the camera actually saw during the event. So far it also has only sent images from one camera even though I set it to send images from 2 cameras. The email will show which channels had motion events, but only one channel is ever shown.

I'm still unable to control search functions or see video using Internet Explorer even following the instructions in the manual. I can see live video of one camera at a time using Firefox and Safari, but cannot control search functions. With any browser I can change most of the settings.

I still like the system as I feel it's a good value for the price, but the lack of a quality user manual and the quirks of the software make it somewhat frustrating to setup. I've emailed support several times and to date have not gotten any calls or return emails.

Hello,

Just curious, is this the same one the Costco sells for $550 (RETAIL) Also, I cant seem to find the manual to download. What is the best video/res/frame rate you can set for all 4ch? In other words does it do D1 on all four channels at 30fps or will it do D1 on all 4ch at a lower frame rate? I'm debating on recommending it for a friend but just need the real specs. Do you have any sample video or snap shots you can post?

Thanks.

Hello,

Just curious, is this the same one the Costco sells for $550 (RETAIL) Also, I cant seem to find the manual to download. What is the best video/res/frame rate you can set for all 4ch? In other words does it do D1 on all four channels at 30fps or will it do D1 on all 4ch at a lower frame rate? I'm debating on recommending it for a friend but just need the real specs. Do you have any sample video or snap shots you can post?

Thanks.

Give me a few days and I'll get you some video. I'm still playing with it. You backup periods of video to a backup device (USB thumb drive or USB HD) manually. I wish it would do it automatically or at timed intervals though. At any rate, the backup produces AVI files and I'll get a few up for you. The one thing that would be REALLY helpful would be a keyboard interface because it uses a virtual onscreen keyboard you manipulate with the mouse. Real pain in the rump sometimes, but once you have it setup you don't have to use it much and you can change some settings via keyboard through the web interface.

I'm currently recording 4 channels, 704 x 480 @ 7fps which is adequate. If I up the frame rate to 15 I have to lower the resolution to 104 x 240. It would take a while for me to go though all the combination's to tell you what it can do at various settings on each channel.

If the one at Costco is the Samsung SDE-120 it would be the same one. I see them listed as SDE-120N also, but I believe they are both the same thing. I've been looking around at various video security systems and for the price you really can't beat this thing. The cost is low enough that if you needed more cameras you could just buy two or even more.