bkb

Outdoor Bullet Camera Night/Day

I've been reading up on the site and figured I'd ask for some help. I'm trying to get a simple system together. I figured I would settle on a Exacq home built system.

I'm going to start out simple. I just need a single MegaPixel camera for the front driveway and entrance. For the camera I was looking at a Vivotek IP8332. Are there any other Megapixel cameras that come close to this for the price ($300-$400). Is there anything better for a simple home setup?

There's not a lot of outdoor megapixel cameras that are inexpensive (say under $500). In our finder, we only have 6 matches (out of 550 or so cameras). Of those 6, only 1 is a bullet (the Vivotek you mentioned). See: http://tinyurl.com/outdoor-mp-cams

For bullets, I don't see anything close. The ACTI ACM-1231 is closest (but significantly more expensive, MPEG-4 only, 8 fps max).

If you can consider a dome, GVI has new one that is quite inexpensive, see: http://ipvideomarket.info/camera/gvnc102do

The ACTI ACM-1231 is closest (but significantly more expensive, MPEG-4 only, 8 fps max).

Well maybe its more expesive, but its 1/3" APTINA CMOS, IP8332 is 1/4" CMOS.

Cmon, 1/4" CMOS sensor? Its webcam or cellphone camera

AND ACM-1231: 24 IR LEDs, IP8332 - 12 IR LEDS,

ACM-1231: 1280x1024, IP8332 - 1280X800

ACM-1231: f3.3-12mm/F1.6 lens, IP8332 - f3.6mm/F1.8 (darker) lens

You decide

Maybe You should try GeoVision BL110D

http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/Prod_GVIPCAMH264Bullet.asp

Good, not expensive camera, and You will get free soft for 32 cameras with video analitics!

Ppl counting, virtual fence, face detect and so on

If you are lookin' for rly cheap BUT not bad camera, try AVtech AVN362 - its like IP8332 from Vivo, but with 56x IR LEDs, better lens, and bigger sensor (1/3")

Edited by Guest

I like vivotech but i would go with something more for residential. Do you have to have IP? IF not i would go with a small analog camera with a least 540 tvl with a wide lens 2.8 or 3.6. Going IP is great but it takes alot to run and store info on you PC or laptop.

Here's some screens off a Vivotek 8332. We've been looking for some cheaper cams for certain applications, and so far I'm not too disappointed. I just quickly set it up, so you'll have to ignore the crooked image and the cardboard flapping! These screens were pulled from a Nuuo 2040 NVR. The camera is mounted about 14' high on the face of a shop at the corner of the building. At the center of the building there is a 250 Watt Metal Halide wall pack. Other than the wall pack there is no other lighting and it was a fairly dark night.

Night Shot

nighty-1.png

Moving Face Night Shot

facenight-1.png

Moving Night (Unfortunately no license plate)

nightmoving-1.png

Moving Day Shot

vanmoving-1.png

Day Face

facey-1.png

BTW I will have a Acti TCM-1231 next week to compare to also

John

John.... WOW. Thank you! Great post. Where did you come from buddy? Lol we need to compare notes! I've used 1231... Have my first Vivotek in test on front porch...

Just curious...what was the speed of that Razor/ ATV?

Here's some screens off a Vivotek 8332. We've been looking for some cheaper cams for certain applications, and so far I'm not too disappointed. I just quickly set it up, so you'll have to ignore the crooked image and the cardboard flapping! These screens were pulled from a Nuuo 2040 NVR. The camera is mounted about 14' high on the face of a shop at the corner of the building. At the center of the building there is a 250 Watt Metal Halide wall pack. Other than the wall pack there is no other lighting and it was a fairly dark night.

Do you have any shots with it in night mode under low light? Thanks.

bpzle: That Gator moving in the shot was probably going about 12 - 15 mph

Sawbones: Have you tested the ACTI TCM series, or just the ACMs? A distributor I deal with told me the TCM is a significant upgrade, so I thought it would be worth a try.

rory: Unfortunately I don't have any handy on the NVR. I did test it though with the lights out. Wasn't too bad. I'll try get you a couple shots in the next day or two. I just took the camera down last night and put up a Vivotek FD8361. So far it's a huge disappointment. Last night it was a huge blizzard, so there's a chance I didnt' get it focused quite right yet! But at twice the price of the 8332 its looking like the loser.

Also, if I remember correctly the "Maximum Exposure Time" was set to 1/15 second. I'll confirm when I get the camera hooked up again. Oh, and the mounting bracket Vivotek sends is a throw away. It's a joke.

John

Edited by Guest

I figured I would settle on a Exacq home built system.

I built an Exacq system using Windows, and later moved to Ubuntu. Exacq is a nice system and I expect you will be pleased with it. However, I've been hearing a lot of great things about Avigilon. You should compare the two and then make a decision.

Best,

Christopher