patricknelson

My first installation...need suggestion

I just got a job to install 4 cameras in an office indoor and 8 to 12 cameras at a huge house both indoor and outdoor.

I've been reading to board for a couple of weeks now trying to learn and find out what are the best cameras and dvr to install base on various budget but I'm still loss. Everyone have their own opinion and suggestions.

I've narrowed it down to CNB cameras but still confused about the different models. I'm hoping to buy good quality cameras as close as possible to $100.00 a piece. Someone suggested I buy cameras from icrealtime but they seem to be only 400 lines of resolution as opposed to CNB's higher lines of resolution.

The DVR's I'm totally confused about. My client wants to be able to view over the internet of course and also wants to keep videos from 1 to 2 weeks with a DVR.

I'm thinking about buying one of those packages from one of the dealers mentioned here on the board that offers 4, 8 or 16 camera packaged.

My question is, should i buy a package or buy everything individually. I have tested this camera at 120.00 a piece, but not sure. do i need to purchase 2 different cameras for indoor or outdoor or one that does both.

http://www.icrealtime.com/solutions/cameras.asp?cameraid=ICR200

I Have a budget of $5,000 and that will include my pay and probably 12 to 14 cameras total and 2 dvr's and cables, power box and no monitors.

I would appreciate any suggestions

I would appreciate any suggestions

Work as an apprentice at a CCTV security installation company for one year.

Best,

Christopher

I'm hoping for constructive suggestion. I'm not an idiot. I'm a Network Engineer, so I know technology. I'm being offered $5,000.00 to do a job, I don't think I should turn it down. I'm just looking for some direction.

thanks anyway for your suggestion.

The comment to work as an apprentice isn't far off, I am learning quickly how little I know, moreover, how much there is involved (see thread about 2 DVRs in one monitor). For a one off system, my best suggestion is to keep it simple. I'd use standard cameras that don't take much adjustment, you can drive yourself crazy up on a ladder. Take the time to think it out completely before you even start. Also, go ahead and get the biggest hard drive your dvr will take, set everything at the highest resolution etc, 5 frames per second and walk away. Simple, simple, simple. This is the one thing that is good about a kit, but pick one of those that will have the best tech support, which I don't know but hopefully the other guys might.

Perhaps hire a CCTV pro to do the job then take some commission? If youve never done it before might be best to let someone else do it and go on the job with them and learn from them. One reason a professional charges the labour they do is because they know what they are doing from past experience, its about knowing the product and placement of the product as well as knowing how to set it up properly and if the case be troubleshoot problems with the install. When I started installing Burglar alarms I worked for free for 1 month tagging along with an installer just to get some idea of the industry, regardless of already being reasonably smart - even then it took probably 1 year before i kind of knew what I was doing, and thats easy stuff compared to CCTV. Computers/Networking is totally different ball game from CCTV. We dont mind helping but if you have to ask whether to use an indoor or outdoor camera .. then perhaps one of the DIY consumer kits should be your goal.

Otherwise if you want to jump right into the playing field .. be prepared for some hard work. As much as CNB of all brands does make it easier for the installer with the design of their cameras, its still not just plug and play especially when dealing with day/night applications. Indoor applications will always be the simplest of jobs, outdoor takes more work and preparation. Anyway, choose the camera for the application, if you dont need a weather resistant outdoor camera indoors, then use an indoor camera. There isnt one camera that does everything. CNB has a good selection though, but still they dont have everything.

Perhaps hire a CCTV pro to do the job then take some commission? If youve never done it before might be best to let someone else do it and go on the job with them and learn from them. One reason a professional charges the labour they do is because they know what they are doing from past experience, its about knowing the product and placement of the product as well as knowing how to set it up properly and if the case be troubleshoot problems with the install. When I started installing Burglar alarms I worked for free for 1 month tagging along with an installer just to get some idea of the industry, regardless of already being reasonably smart - even then it took probably 1 year before i kind of knew what I was doing, and thats easy stuff compared to CCTV. Computers/Networking is totally different ball game from CCTV. We dont mind helping but if you have to ask whether to use an indoor or outdoor camera .. then perhaps one of the DIY consumer kits should be your goal.

Otherwise if you want to jump right into the playing field .. be prepared for some hard work. As much as CNB of all brands does make it easier for the installer with the design of their cameras, its still not just plug and play especially when dealing with day/night applications. Indoor applications will always be the simplest of jobs, outdoor takes more work and preparation. Anyway, choose the camera for the application, if you dont need a weather resistant outdoor camera indoors, then use an indoor camera. There isnt one camera that does everything. CNB has a good selection though, but still they dont have everything.

Appreciate your input. thank you

Perhaps hire a CCTV pro to do the job then take some commission?

+ 1 gozillion

You will have a lot less headache this way.