rory

Port Forwarding

Rory thats a great site!

I used it to forward pots on my netgear 834g, trouble is it seems to need a staic ip to be able to allow port forwarding.

I have followed the instructions to the letter to aquire a static ip, it needs the dns 234.98 etc to be able to do it , phoned BT who said they cant supply dns for a residential line.

So i have a static ip using the geovision dns client , but what use is it with this router?

A Drayton vigor 2600 is supposed to be the best for this application but this also requires a staic ip to allow port forwarding.

I may have to sign up with BT for a static ip unless someone has managed this remote viewing option with a dynamic ip with a suitable router?

having the same problem with my GEN IV DVR. SBC's DSL IP changes constantly so remote access is a real pain in the #$%. I had hoped to use TZO a service which gives youa pseudo static IP for about 25 bucks a year. It works by assigning a domain name to a certain IP, when the IP change the client software notifies the TZO instantly who then changes it's database of addresses. Bottom line is you get some of the functionality of a static at a fraction of the cost. Problem with the GEN IV client software is it requires an actual IP to point it in the right direction, I cant' add the domain name instead . Looks like I'm going to sign up with Earthlink and pay the DSL fee as well as the xtra $15 a month for the static.... bugger.

BTW if you can access your DVR using a domain name then check out TZO at http://www.tzo.com/

Yeah I saw them in the Linksys Router but I went with DynDns.org for now ... may check them out later ..

the Geo dns client seems to do a great job of keepind the dynamic ip static.

All i had to do was allow port 80

I thought it was open by default for email.

Anyway can at last login

with geo, i recommend changing the default ports

this is for security reasons and to prevent issues with ISPs blockin certain ports

of course make sure to note the new ports and forward those in our router

sal

http://www.digitalwatchguard.com

don't knock it til you try it...i have a gv-1000 running stable without one crash in 140 days... we rebooted twice

its packed with features and stable

you can knock the gui, but i have made the gui look gorgeous for some of my installer clients

to be honest, the only features I use it for, or any PC system for that, is the recording speed. Pricewise they are also much cheaper, than the full featured GE stand alone, especially for me since i pay major duty on video devices, but PCs are duty free. Otherwise there are no other features worth speaking about that the GE doesnt have, and in fact, the GEs have superior remote software, at least until i get my hands on the SDK

Otherwise there are no other features worth speaking about that the GE doesnt have

No way!!!!!, Not huge fan of Geo anymore, but thats mainly because of their organisation, nothing to do with their product.. time and again they have some of the best features around and WELL before anyone else and they are CHEAP.. only problem is anyone can build em, so your product.."the geo" gets a bad name if someone builds a crap one!

I cant think of another DVR with as many features in it's price range though

Otherwise there are no other features worth speaking about that the GE doesnt have

No way!!!!!, Not huge fan of Geo anymore, but thats mainly because of their organisation, nothing to do with their product.. time and again they have some of the best features around and WELL before anyone else and they are CHEAP.. only problem is anyone can build em, so your product.."the geo" gets a bad name if someone builds a crap one!

I cant think of another DVR with as many features in it's price range though

dude, what features .. there are none that i can use that no other DVR has ... tell me some, please .. cause it just makes no sense, and has the worse remote video software in the industry. And dont bother telling me about the sensormatic PTZ object tracking cause we arent buying those crap PTZs. GE DVRs are soo much better than the best Geo you can ever build, only drawback to the GE and all stand alones, are the speed.

Did you realise that the GE DVRs new software has more playback and search features than the Geo.? Dats right dreddy

The Geo has great local video, quality and all, but the remote software kills the whole card, as it really doesnt exist.