tmunroe

BNC twist on connecters

I hate those twist on BNCs. I tried them when I used to fit police two way radio sets. Besides making my teeth grate I found them very unreliable and eventually forked out for a Nielson crimping tool (RG 58/59). You may already have them so they're free but if you have to keep climbing ladders to cameras to redo the BNC connector the could work out really expensive in time spent. If I were thinking of a new crimp tool for BNCs today I would think seriously about the BNC compression fittings, but until my crimper wears out, breaks or is stolen, I will be using 3 piece crimps. I also like the fact that I can glue a strain relief on them too. 3 pce crimps are really cheap on ebay so are the compression BNCs and the compression tools are really cheap too.

The Compression tool will also work with those satellite TV plugs.

[

Twist ons are great, though as with anything else one needs to know how to install them properly.

but it should be 75 ohm.

compressions were used on an expansion where i work before i became the CCTV tech. Every single one of them i was able to pull off with with my fingers. I have replaced every one with a crimp on BNC. Was a long process. Never used the twist on.

If the compression ones were falling off someone was either useing the wrong ends for that cable.. or there tools werent compressing them completely...

The entire cable TV industry uses compression fittings for there F connectors. They would not use them if they were not reliable.

How about a 30-second BNC connector that you can't screw up because you can take it off and reuse it, but it can't be pulled off! I found these connectors made in Italy. They are just coming to the US.

Remember the of Shick commercial where the fellow says "I like the shave so much, I bought the company?" Well, I didn't buy the company, but I am assisting my new Italian friends in getting the word out.

Check out www.cap-america.us

Forget the connectors, Im just tired of BNC all together.

Some just dont want to lock in or unlock sometimes .. could be the DVR or the camera connection ... or the BNC itself .. either way .. can be a pain when working on a 32 channel DVR installed sideways underneath a desk.