Efini

Q-See DVR problem......surprise

Hello all, first time poster, long time lurker. With that said, over the summer I installed a q-see security camera system at my home. Just a simple two camera setup with a stand alone q-see DVR (QSDR04RTC-320) my mistake. As u probably all already know for the most part q-see products are junk ( I got what I paid for) and the software is poorly made and looks like it was written and designed in the mid 80's. Anyway to the problem, a pizza man was recently assaulted and robbed at gun point in my drive way last night by four black juveniles, all caught perfectly on my front camera. With the police on there way, I tried to make a copy of the video file off the of DVR, so I plugged in my portable hard drive to the DVR n when I went to the video file it was split into three different files two of which were both 0mb in size and one that was 0.1mb. My guess is that the DVR was still making the video file while I plugged in the portable hard drive and that's what messed it up. The DVR makes video files one hour long each, and I have both the files from the hour before and after the assault. I even went as far as to open up the DVR take out the hard drive and plug it into my desktop, with no success. Win 7 couldn't recognize the filing system. I am calling q-see tech support when it opens, but i doubt they will be able to help. Any help from anyone on here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hello all, first time poster, long time lurker. With that said, over the summer I installed a q-see security camera system at my home. Just a simple two camera setup with a stand alone q-see DVR (QSDR04RTC-320) my mistake. As u probably all already know for the most part q-see products are junk ( I got what I paid for) and the software is poorly made and looks like it was written and designed in the mid 80's. Anyway to the problem, a pizza man was recently assaulted and robbed at gun point in my drive way last night by four black juveniles, all caught perfectly on my front camera. With the police on there way, I tried to make a copy of the video file off the of DVR, so I plugged in my portable hard drive to the DVR n when I went to the video file it was split into three different files two of which were both 0mb in size and one that was 0.1mb. My guess is that the DVR was still making the video file while I plugged in the portable hard drive and that's what messed it up. The DVR makes video files one hour long each, and I have both the files from the hour before and after the assault. I even went as far as to open up the DVR take out the hard drive and plug it into my desktop, with no success. Win 7 couldn't recognize the filing system. I am calling q-see tech support when it opens, but i doubt they will be able to help. Any help from anyone on here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

can you view the footage from your dvr ???? if so your best way would be to plug a vcr into tv out on your dvr and record it to tape. ............. then send your dvr back to Q-see.

You should have stopped recording before removing the drive. Unfortunately the video is probably corrupt.

can you view the footage from your dvr ???? if so your best way would be to plug a vcr into tv out on your dvr and record it to tape. ............. then send your dvr back to Q-see.

No, when I try to play any one of the files it gives me an error saying "Failure to play file", as a matter of fact I just realized something odd. When I try to play any of the hours after the incident in the DVR it gives me the same error, but the files are there to copy when i go to back them up. They backup and are viewed on the pc successfully, but still the hour i need is still missing. After this I am looking into a replacement for my DVR.

You should have stopped recording before removing the drive. Unfortunately the video is probably corrupt.

I didn't remove any drive from the DVR. The internal drive on the DVR was still recording while i plugged in a portable storage device. Which must of caused some kind of error for the current file being recorded, resulting in the 3 empty files for that hour when there should be one 400mb file. Funny thing while reading the "back-up" section in the manual, they forget to tell you when to connect your portable storage device or to even connect a portable storage device at all for backing up the file to be put on your pc. Your just supposed to figure that part out on your own, i guess. I will probably end up sending the dvr to q-see to see if there software can recover the file.

Do a search for the video and save it to a USB, each file is about 400MB. Use software named playback verion 2.3.0.4 to play it on your comp. This software should be located on a small disc that came with the DVR.

if you do not have this disc, Q-See has the software on there site.

Thanks for your help, but seriously did you even read my full post?

Edited by Guest

Does anyone happen to know what filing system q-see uses on there hard drives? Is it Linex or something they have made up themselves?

Q-see doesnt make the DVRs, but it may vary as they use DVRs from multiple manufacturers. Most would likely be a form of linux possibly embedded or RTOS.

Q-see doesnt make the DVRs, but it may vary as they use DVRs from multiple manufacturers. Most would likely be a form of linux possibly embedded or RTOS.

Thats alot, I will look into that. Finally some answers!