mike_va

Building a POE from scratch question

I made some measurements on my Trendnet POE switch.

On Green/Green-White (pins 6 and 3) measures +44 with respect to Orange/Orange-White (pins 1 and 2), on a T568B connector.

This seems backwards (polarity flipped) the attached pic from Wikipedia, although they also say that the polarity can be either way.

I thought what I would do for one camera instead of buying another POE switch was just applying power to these pins since I have a few HP lab supplies sitting around looking for something to do. Has anyone done this successfully? I'm looking to do this with an Axis P1344.

Thanks, Mike

1295097967_Picture21.png.4f0225bcb068a52b5d5e2f0fc3051253.png

I wouldn't suggest using the orange and green pairs if you're going to just hack in a power supply, since those are normally the signal lines. You'll want to use "mode B" from your diagram below, sending power over the unused blue and brown pairs. Probably want to ensure those pins aren't connected to the switch, either.

OK I'm sensing a trend here...

I started out looking at the Axis injector which I think was ~60.

The TP-Link TL-PoE150S POE Splitter Adapter, I can get for the kind of money you are talking about. Kind of amazing that even comes with a power supply apparently. Not familiar with this brand though. Any suggestions on reliable POE injectors?

Thanks for the help.

857536394_Picture21.png.af4c04421a000791e46ede7d38ecbe23.png

I started out looking at the Axis injector which I think was ~60.

Axis makes some of the their own stuff, but they round out their product line by rebranding some items. Search Amazon and Google and you might find the identical item from the OEM for less. In any case, you should be able to find a quality solution for less.

Best,

Christopher