sequoia

Hiding an outdoor cam in plain sight

Well, I'm using 850nm. I don't know what the IR reflectivity is like at 950nm. All I can tell you that at 850nm I'm utterly blind.

I would have guessed the plate had some sort of IR reflective film on it to avoid LPR detection, but based on your comments, it's apparent that this is a common phenomena from some states. Interesting.

Best,

Christopher

I have very close connections with local law enforcement and lack of action is something I am not concerned with.

From my expected location, daytime should work pretty well-- good angle of approaching visitors coming down the driveway, cul-de-sac framed well in the background (but not too far away.) But night time is a whole other gig.

At my business location, I use two Bosch LTC0630 1/2" box cameras for license plate capture-- one at the entrance, one at the exit. After changing shutter speeds to 1/500, as was suggested here, I now capture nearly 100% of the plates-- either on the way IN, or on the way OUT. But, the tightness of the zoom, and the narrow field of entry/exit simply will not be doable on the cul-de-sac. It's far too deep, and too wide, to get plates.

fyi I have a dedicated siamese cable, in conduit, in the general area. And a CAT 5 cable in there as well.

Holy ancient thread bump, Batman. Okay, not THAT ancient... in any case, one thing to keep in mind:

RE: Seeing people inside cars: Get a lens that has a threaded fitting to accept filters. Get a polarizing filter and thread it on. Park a car in the driveway with someone in it and then adjust the polarizing filter until you can see inside. The polarizing filter will reject the light that has been reflects off the windows.

A polarizer will also typically cost you about two stops worth of exposure... in other words, it will reduce the light transmitted by up to a factor of four. They're not very useful in low light.