cycocyanin

New, Need Help

hey all!

I'm currently conducting an investigation in which i have some evidence that was obtained through cctv cameras. The problem I'm running into is that the files are .mpg and I cannot seem to view them in any media player I have tried. My attempts to convert the files to another type of media have been thwarted by some sort of 'unsupported' or 'lack' of codec errors.

Do certain businesses use proprietary software to protect their video from being viewed on a personal computer? Is there any software available to public to be able to view cctv files?

Any help or clarification on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

hey all!

I'm currently conducting an investigation in which i have some evidence that was obtained through cctv cameras. The problem I'm running into is that the files are .mpg and I cannot seem to view them in any media player I have tried. My attempts to convert the files to another type of media have been thwarted by some sort of 'unsupported' or 'lack' of codec errors.

Do certain businesses use proprietary software to protect their video from being viewed on a personal computer? Is there any software available to public to be able to view cctv files?

Any help or clarification on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Hi cycocyanin. yes it would be possable but your fastest way would be to find out which make of dvr your footage came from. and see if anyone can send you the file player.

If it helps any the manager of the establishment said that it would play on a program on his computer called c2avi. He did not offer to burn a copy of the program and I was naive enough to think I could figure out how to view it on my own, that I did not ask. Unfortunately, I can not find that program on the internet anywhere I've looked, and Google has been little help. Does this program sound familiar? Is there anywhere I would be able to download a copy?

V/R,

Cycocyanin

*.MPG would normally be an MPEG file, which usually tend to be a pretty standard codec (I don't think I've yet seen an MPEG file that wouldn't just play in Windows Media Player, but I suppose there could be exceptions).

Businesses won't generally use "proprietary" file formats or codecs, but DVRs themselves often do. What players have you tried? Most here have had good success using VLC (www.videolan.org), sometimes needing some assistance from an additional codec pack (I use K-Lite myself - google "K-Lite Mega Pack").

Beyond that, it would probably be most helpful if we knew the actual make and model of the DVR itself.

Is it still possible to get the player file from the store manager?