glf

Camera NTSC/PAL standards

I have done an order for some video cameras and a drv choosing the corresponding camera standard for my location (PAL).

The store has responded saying that they sell only NTSC cameras and that I need a converter which will give me a jump in picture quality

Now, considering that the camera are only NTSC, but they will be attached on a dvr that supports both standards (NTSC/PAL) why do I need a converter ?

They may not be thinking that the DVR will support both...?

PAL is based on the 50Hz power frequency, while NTSC is based on a 60Hz power source. Depending on the DVR design, it may not work properly in NTSC mode if you have 50Hz power. You may also have an issue if you're using a PAL monitor on it, as some DVRs' PAL/NTSC option may be "global".

Dvr is a CNB HDF1212 4 ch and the manual says it support four connectors for video input (NTSC/PAL).

Dvr is a CNB HDF1212 4 ch and the manual says it support four connectors for video input (NTSC/PAL).

glf. were are you if it is pal. its not a good idea to use a standard outside of your country. and a converta does not make images better.

glf. were are you if it is pal. its not a good idea to use a standard outside of your country.

Why, If the dvr can handle the NTSC signal ?

From what I can understand (I'm a newbie in cctv field) the NTSC signal will flow between the camera and the DVR, and then the video output from Vga or ethernet, has nothing to do with NTSC.

and a converta does not make images better.

This was an "advice" of the store sales rep

glf. were are you if it is pal. its not a good idea to use a standard outside of your country.

From what I can understand (I'm a newbie in cctv field) the NTSC signal will flow between the camera and the DVR, and then the video output from Vga or ethernet, has nothing to do with NTSC.

You are correct on that part. Where it COULD be an issue is with a DVR where the entire signal chain (to a composite output) uses one standard or the other. In that DVR's case, it MAY be an issue if you want to use the composite output on a PAL monitor, but if you're using the VGA output, there should be no problem.

Figures... facepalm-1.gif

glf. the problem is not the dvr most will offer both. its with you buying both NTSC cameras. your going to be recording in NTSC how are you going to view footage once off the dvr. buy a player from the money you saved buying NTSC. what happends if you need to get your footage into court or to the police. ????

glf. the problem is not the dvr most will offer both. its with you buying both NTSC cameras. your going to be recording in NTSC how are you going to view footage once off the dvr.

Er.... are you not exporting to AVI, H.264, MPEG, or other format where NTSC/PAL standards don't apply? Name me one DVR that actually records in pure NTSC/PAL - most aren't even recording at full framerate.

buy a player from the money you saved buying NTSC. what happends if you need to get your footage into court or to the police. ????

Same way you do now: playback on a computer, or burn to DVD-Video, which can be done in the appropriate video format by the DVD authoring software.

Er.... are you not exporting to AVI, H.264, MPEG, or other format where NTSC/PAL standards don't apply? Name me one DVR that actually records in pure NTSC/PAL - most aren't even recording at full framerate.

Yes, this is why I can't see a problem in using PAL or NTSC cam as long as the DVR can "understand" both standards.

NTSC camera -----> NTSC DVR (records in h.264) -----> Playback h.264 on pc with some software client through ethernet port