D-tek.us

Weather Problems Help!

Hi I'm new to the forum, and need of some help. I have been installing systems for some years now and

have never come to a problem I couldn't fix till now.

My Problem is that ever since it started getting cold over here in california, I got this system that the video signal will come and go as the weather gets cold or hot. when its cold only 1 or 2 cams are up and around noon all four cameras will be working again... Now if I hook my portable monitor directly to the cameras not showing in the DVR screen, I will get video. I tried switching a camera that is currently working to a non working spot but I still get no signal. I'm wondering if I need to rewire everthing or is there another alternative.

The wire range is about 120FT it is siemes cable coax and power in one.

Cameras are box cameras in their housing.

I'd start with re-terminating the signal cable; it's possible the temperature and/or moisture is affecting them or causing corrosion.

I see this happen sometimes if you are using housings that have heaters and fans in them. If your housings are thermostat regulated and if the temp gets too hot it makes the fan kick on, Same thing when it gets too cold, the heater will kick on. Perhaps when the heaters and fans are kicking on, it is pulling more amperage out of your power supply and is not able to power both the camera and housing simultaneoulsy. You may try using a "higher amped" power supply on one of the cameras to see if that solves the problem.

This has happened a couple of time recently for some of our customers who were using a 24 VAC 20 VA transformer with a 100+ cable run. They switched out with a 40 VA and it solved the problem.

I considered telling him to check the power connections as well, but apparently the cameras are still powered, because he can hook a monitor up to them directly and still get picture...

I think that may still be the problem:

Maybe the voltage drop is reducing the composite signal to a point where the DVR doesn't like it, but the monitor will still show it. If you have another (bigger) power supply, it wouldn't hurt to try!

I think that may still be the problem:

Maybe the voltage drop is reducing the composite signal to a point where the DVR doesn't like it, but the monitor will still show it. If you have another (bigger) power supply, it wouldn't hurt to try!

40VA is the highest they go around here, seems if you want a higher rated power supply, the automatic gate vendors are who you should check with.

I think 20VA is the most commonly purchased 24VAC transformer. But 40VA is the next step up and then I have seen 50 & 60 VA as well. These can all be found at online stores.

We get 75VA and 100VA closed-frame models at ADI/Burtek... but yeah, 40VA is the highest I see for "plug-in" types at our usual retailer.