acmdb

poor video quality

ive got two pelco cc3701h-2 cameras and im having a probelm with the quality of the image ive hooked up a "test" spot monitor to the camera and it looks the same as if viewed from the dvr so i know the problem isnt coming from the dvr but the camera and i have no idea on how to fix it any help would be great thank you

210931799_garagecamera.jpg.d5069c09ced2b4515fa39f425fb9534c.jpg

Wow... that looks like a gimpy sensor to me. POSSIBLE that the lens is faulty, but a physical problem with the camera itself is my guess. Either way, it doesn't look like something you can easily "repair" through any adjustments.

First thing I'd do is try another lens... if that doesn't work, you'll probably need to return the camera.

I don't think there is any thing wrong. look at the rod against the wall, it is sharp enough, so the lens and focusing should be all right.

Of course, there is excessive noise and false colour in the image ( for a good illumination like this), it could be caused by high AGC in camera setting.

If you mean the "double image" of the truck, it was caused by the interlacing nature of CCD, it is impossible to overcome it without losing another field in one frame.

1-try a different camera there.

2-test the camera at the camera end.

3-what cable and power is being used?

the cable is west penn rg-6 siamese cable with aprox 45 foot cable run. the power is 24vac into a altronix altv2416ul power supply the dvr is a geovision gv-800 in an hp pc. i know that geovison isnt the best but for what im using the system for it will do."some one stole my $1400 chocolate lab dog" got him back thank god. i plan on adding more cameras in the future but want to fix the problem with the 2 i have now i thought maybe it was a ground loop issue but i checked all cables and the all ohm out to 75 ohms with no voltage on them the ac power is clean on a scope

What part of the image is bothering you?

- The moving car is an interlacing issue - either switch to CIF or look for a deinterlace option on playback.

- The weird/false color patterns in the trees... What time of day was this pic taken. Was is twilight out? A camera can create a noisy image if it is using too much gain to overcome darkness.

- Can't read the plate - You won't not with that camera/angle.

it was 0810 am on thursday what bothers me is the pixelated image and i know im not going to read the plate# but i would like a "clean" image this is what it looks like even when the object is sitting still

I can't explain why the car would look like that if it was not moving. Typically that effect come from the fact that at full D1 resolution each single "frame" is made up of two "fields" (one field comprises all the odd-numbered horizontal lines, and the other field is made up from the even-numbered lines). The two fields are scanned one after the other, so any movement will show up as those jagged edges as the object has moved slightly between the odd field and the even field.

I have to believe that in your example picture the car was moving at the time because it is the only thing showing the interleave effect. The hose, house and other non-movable object s all look solid. If you are getting the interleave effect on the car when ther car is parked then you have a problem I've never seen before.

I would ask you to post another pic taken at noon with the car parked there, see if the extra light makes the image less gain-noisey.

I wonder if there is a setting in the camera that is forcing it to use too much gain, as stated before.

Here's a shot from my system that is about the same angle & focal length.

Camera is a Panvigor IR vandal dome 3.6mm. Cat5e/passive baluns.

20110101_123337-1.jpg

ive got two pelco cc3701h-2 cameras and im having a probelm with the quality of the image ive hooked up a "test" spot monitor to the camera and it looks the same as if viewed from the dvr so i know the problem isnt coming from the dvr but the camera and i have no idea on how to fix it any help would be great thank you

the cameras you have should give you no problems................. your picture looks like a bad plastic lens. can you change the lens. you say you have this on both cameras ............ buy a good glass lens

Yeah, those are generally really good cameras... I wouldn't expect the camera MODEL to be a problem, but it looks like the specific UNIT may be bad. I've seen interlacing issues with moving objects, and it didn't look like that - the object was "tearing" horizontally, not showin a diagonally-mirrored double-image.

I'd almost think that the IR cut filter over the sensor is damaged or partly out of place... if one end was lifted up a little bit, so it's on an angle to the sensor instead of parallel to it, it could cause some refraction and/or reflection that would account for that particular distortion, as well as explain why it's worse to one side of the image.

What part of the image is bothering you?

Its a terrible image.

And it is terrible for a few reasons. Just wondering which of those reasons we should focus on.

Yeah, those are generally really good cameras... I wouldn't expect the camera MODEL to be a problem, but it looks like the specific UNIT may be bad. I've seen interlacing issues with moving objects, and it didn't look like that - the object was "tearing" horizontally, not showin a diagonally-mirrored double-image.

This is where your experience trumps mine. I look at that jagged edges around that car and I only see interlacing caused by a moving car. Note that the snow on the ground under the car does not show the same effect, it's only the movable object that shows the effect. Also note that the jagged edges are lined up perfectly as if the odd and even lines are from images taken a split-second apart. The edges of the odd lines all line up where I'd expect them to, same for the even lines. You are clearly seeing something that my untrained eyes don't.

Having said that, if I am correct that it is interlacing effect, then this will not be seen on a spot monitor or on a stationary car.

OP, Can you post a cam image of that area without the car. If the ground shows the same jagged effect then it's definitely a camera/lens thing. If that area is not jagged then that would be very interesting.

The splotchy colors almost look like the effect you get with wavelet compression on a black image.

Did the OP test a different camera at that location yet?

If its the same then we can bang our heads against the wall trying to figure out what next, if a different camera works fine there, then its a camera problem. Reset all settings to defaults, if still a problem send it back/chuck it and buy a new one, or live with the image this one provides.

Couple other questions:

1-What time of the day is this image?

2-Can you post an image from a couple other times of the day and night?

Here is the same image Deinterlaced, 2 different sizes

OK, so the jagged effect around the car is interlacing. Now we just need to figure out whatever looks like high gain noise. I'd like to see a pic from this camera at noon. I wonder ho dark it was at 8:10am.

2010123008_10_01-1.jpg

Thursday 8:10am on my cam shows it was darker than noon but not dark enough to give the camera a problem. This is a fixed iris cam.

lots of noise in his image also .. thats why I was saying he should reset the OSD back to defaults and see if it helps. It could be compensating too much due to another changed setting. Doesnt look dark so should be no real noise. Ofcourse none of the below really helps fix his problem though but just testing..

Original:

deinterlaced, denoised somewhat and gamma slightly adjusted:

695711559_garagecamera3.jpg.73b6ede742a02db7d9f2aaf1c23dafd5.jpg

556330865_garagecameraorig.jpg.b6057aea641b74d016c0b5c316ab6a63.jpg

lots of noise in his image also .. thats why I was saying he should reset the OSD back to defaults and see if it helps. It could be compensating too much due to another changed setting. Doesnt look dark so should be no real noise. Ofcourse none of the below really helps fix his problem though but just testing..

Original:

garage camera3.jpg[/attachment]

i can live with the second pic it is cleaned up a lot

i can live with the second pic it is cleaned up a lot

Yeah but unfortunately thats digitally enhanced in PSP ..

Maybe check the camera settings then for Gamma and DNR?

Dont know if the camera would have deinterlaced setting, but check the DVR.

What DVR are you using?

This is where your experience trumps mine. I look at that jagged edges around that car and I only see interlacing caused by a moving car.

Everyone seems to be working on the assumption that this is a moving car, yet nowhere does the OP state that it's moving. Far as I can tell, it's a parked car.

Having said that, if I am correct that it is interlacing effect, then this will not be seen on a spot monitor or on a stationary car.

This is true; however, the OP also states, "this is what it looks like even when the object is sitting still."

Im going to take a guess that its moving as when you deinterlace it the vehicle jumps forward, redo, vehicle jumps back, everything else stays stationary.

This is true; however, the OP also states, "this is what it looks like even when the object is sitting still."

Yeah, he did say that. However I figured he meant the color noise was the same even when the car is stationary, as he mentioned it looked the same on the spot monitor and you won't see interlacing on a spot monitor.

Plus... If it looks like interlacing, waddles like interlacing and quacks like interlacing...

ok the original post pic the car was moving however when i originaly setup the camera i parked my work truck aprox 20 feet away that is lettered up and focused the camera on the lettering of the truck it was ok for about a week then it started to get worse by the day. i have swithced cameras,lenses,power sorce,bnc connectors,cable housing heater and fan thinking the fan was indusing noise in the image. i will have to play wiht the gains and dip switch setting tomorrow and see what i come up with