DeDanan

What are your top mpixel cameras for different applications?

Hi All,

Jan 1, thinking of the year ahead and hope not to repeat the mistakes of 2010.

First I want to simplify and reduce my IP megapixel camera offering. I want to have the minimum amount of different cameras in stock that covers the widest range of options, in particular low light situations.

Currently I like the HD range from Sanyo, easy setup/ focus and top quality in daylight conditions BUT pricy!

What are your top megapixel cameras for different applications: price vs. indoor / outdoor / lowlight / hi backlight / general all rounder / etc, etc?

I wish you all a happy and lucky New Year.

Regards

Sanyo is too pricey for you???

Very expensive for most people, costs more than the best panasonic cctv cameras.

Sanyo is too pricey for you???

Very expensive for most people, costs more than the best panasonic cctv cameras.

You need to find new customers. The Sanyos are the same price and the Panasonic 484 and 502s..

You need to find new customers

If this site was titled CCTV FORUM FOR THE WEALTHY then your comment would have some value to it, but fortunately this forum is for EVERYONE not just the privileged.

Sorry, maybe I did not make my query clear in my original post.

1st about Sanyo.

I like the Sanyo the ease of setup and less than 1 min to focus is “priceless”. The quick focus helps the installer at installation. But the end-user does not care if it takes 1 min or one hour to properly focus, what they buy is a clear picture.

2nd My question.

What I am asking the professional installer out there is: what is your favourite megapixel camera for different conditions? I, and I am sure you don’t have the time patience and possibly money to buy every interesting megapixel camera out there to find the few you want to carry in stock and learn how to best setup that will cover the majority of conditions encountered in everyday installations.

The popular topic “MegaPixel Cameras - Images and Demos” has 23 pages, 335 replies and 43614 views. Now I have not read them all but what I have read I am not clear what cameras I should be offering.

The Pareto principle also known as the 80/20 rule or the law of the vital few. In this case goes something like this: 20% of the cameras available will cover 80% of the installation conditions.

With your help I am looking to find the 20%.

Sorry, maybe I did not make my query clear in my original post.

1st about Sanyo.

I like the Sanyo the ease of setup and less than 1 min to focus is “priceless”. The quick focus helps the installer at installation. But the end-user does not care if it takes 1 min or one hour to properly focus, what they buy is a clear picture.

Sorry I have to disagree. You save on install time and return called to fix focus issues = Saving customer money.

Are you a installer or distributor? And just so you know I have spent the money to test the cameras before we offer them which has paid off tremendously and I recommend you do it yourself.

@ The Wire Guys,

I do not wish to go head to head with you on this topic, I do not see it as a pissing contest. My understanding of a forum like this one, is that there can be a sharing of information and possibly learning from others mistakes or if some wish to help other professionals in the business by offering some advice then why not?

I appreciate you may have bought many megapixel cameras and tested them exhaustively and if you don’t want to give us the benefit of your experience that’s fine with me.

I just asked a question, stated that I like Sanyo but would like them at a better price (who would not?) after that it’s an open forum for all to give a view or not.

Regards,

DeDanan

Ps. I do enjoy the interaction though

Edited by Guest

DeDanan, I have been reading this forum for a year and every post in that image thread and can tell you that the question you ask, does not have a definitive answer on this forum . Companies carry cameras for a myriad of reasons from margin and support to fidelity.

That said, you can actually look under TheWire's signature and find the few cameras which get more up votes than down .

Ok, I am a lazy xxxx, I don’t want to read 335 posts to try and understand what are the top megapixel cameras for different conditions. Notwithstanding the fact that what was a good camera last year may not be the leader this year.

I have indeed read many of The Wire Guys posts and learned from them and had a good look around his web site. If I only wanted The Wire Guys opinion on what was the best camera for different conditions I would have “pm’d” him.

Have a happy...

DeDanan

Ok, I am a lazy xxxx, I don’t want to read 335 posts to try and understand what are the top megapixel cameras for different conditions. Notwithstanding the fact that what was a good camera last year may not be the leader this year.

I have indeed read many of The Wire Guys posts and learned from them and had a good look around his web site. If I only wanted The Wire Guys opinion on what was the best camera for different conditions I would have “pm’d” him.

DeDanan

I have idea

Lets use YOUR "Pareto" rule

you pay 20 % to Wireguy and I am sure he will gladly share his info about cameras and more with you

DeDanan

I have idea

you pay 20 % to Wireguy and I am sure he will gladly share his info about cameras and more with you

^^^ Paypal account is ready to go.

Have a happy...

DeDanan

So you just admitted that all the info is on the forum but you are to "lazy" to read it. I am sorry my man but this is what I do for a living and I am not giving away all of my knowledge I have gained for free. I think any other business owner will understand this. I am more then willing to help people but when you ask " what Megapixel cameras should I sell" I have to draw the line.

On a side note I could just give you a lot of false information and really screw you. My point is if you want to have a good name and be in this business for a long time do the research yourself.

Ok if you are upset that I asked the forum (not you personally) what MP cameras are best under different conditions.... draw the line where you like. I am not asking YOU for anything and don’t much care how you choose to reply.

Most of the views expressed on this forum are from knowledge gained from experience, sweat and tears. A lot of the forum post their opinions and views for free.

I am relatively new to IP cameras and IP recording my only experience is with Exacq and Sanyo.

However I am a long time in the CCTV business. Being the first company in Ireland or offer a dvr of any kind. It was a system from Israel and we could record all of 48hours at 1 fps per camera! At the time this was twice as much as you could record on time lapse vcr. In the last 5 years we have sold more 64 analogue dvr’s in the UK and Ireland than anyone else.

I only asked the forum what they thought were the best MP cameras for different conditions, yes if possible I want to learn from other people’s mistakes or their positive experiences.

If this type of question is out of line or beyond the scope of this forum then I respectively ask the forum modulator to close and if possible delete this thread.

Sorry I have to disagree. You save on install time and return called to fix focus issues = Saving customer money.

What about the extra time spent to address night time issues?

From the images I saw on here from said camera it sucks under low light?

Auto Focus is nice though. But isnt focusing it part of the original install charge? Does one charge half the money to install the camera then?

If this type of question is out of line or beyond the scope of this forum then I respectively ask the forum modulator to close and if possible delete this thread.

No its okay, someone will come along.

I dont use MP cameras due to the market here so cant help.

That said I really am not recommending any camera at this time also.

What might work for one might not work for another.

I have idea

Guys this forum is not for soliciting business, please do so in private messages.

Thanks.

Hmmm. What I wrote was at least two people's opinion: mine and TheWireGuys.

I will expand a bit to add more information here:

Avigilon: these folks have cameras that go where others do not. 16 Megapixels anyone? Their use of JPEG2000 compression (in some cameras) gives them neat features like scalability both in time and bandwidth. They now have a newer line augmenting the high-end using traditional compression (H.264).

Mobotix: clever architecture using an ARM processor to compress video rather than a separate chip. Advantage: low power consumption (3 watts) meaning you don't need heaters and such for enclosed outdoor cameras. Their hemispheric solution is quite innovative, using a fisheye lens and the dewarping in software to create a linear image. Drawback? Frame rates are not as high as hardware solutions and their high efficiency compression is unique to them.

Arecont: You have to be nice to TheWireGuy to explain more than I can about their product . I have known the for quite a while as the bread and butter type of camera without a lot of uniqueness to differentiate them as with the above two. I suspect WireGuys carries it as a more economical solution.

So there: you have more of my opinion. Of course, it is still not the whole answer for why you would want to "sell" some of these. You need to figure that out for yourself and your situation (the message from the other guys in this thread). For example, in our business we install cameras in concert with home automation so integration with our touchpanel is important. This makes Mobotix compression method problematic even though I really like their cameras otherwise. We also had a hell of a time getting their attention whereas I managed to get a hold of the right people at Avigilon with one email. In your case, it should be reverse with Mobotix support being better in Europe than US.

Have a happy...

DeDanan

You too. This forum is quite friendly by the way. You just have to find the right way to ask the question from "senior" members .

Hi Amir,

Thanks for the advice.

I am sorry I did not massage the ego of the “senior” members while asking what I thought was a legitimate question.

Rory,

Thanks for and your understanding on this one.

It is interesting that when a senior member states that they do not wish to share information on this topic that all the other “experts” remain silent.

After all who would want to cross a senior member?

To those who PM’d me, thank you.

Have a Happy....

DeDanan

I'll admit, egos do flair up quite a bit in this place... However I do not think it plays a role in protecting strategic business/ product information.

This is a highly debateable subject, has been brought up. countless times. Lots of people get sand in their arse cracks talking about the topic...

For me personally, I'm a helpful guy. I believe getting and maintaining relationships with people is important. However, there is a balance... this is a public site, with LOTs of hits. You never know what eyes may come accross it. I'm pretty sure they have internet all over Texas and not just where I'm at...

Also, most of the information/ experience professionals learn is earned. A lot of blood, sweat, tears, and money go into what we know. We pay our dues to know what we know. It's the best way. We'll share information privately amongst other respected colleagues, but sharing it all for the world to see is just plain bad for business. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

My understanding of a forum like this one, is that there can be a sharing of information and possibly learning from others mistakes or if some wish to help other professionals in the business by offering some advice then why not?

Just curious... what have YOU shared? All of your posts I've seen to-date were questions... Seems a little contradictory of your own understanding of how this site works....

However I am a long time in the CCTV business. Being the first company in Ireland or offer a dvr of any kind. It was a system from Israel and we could record all of 48hours at 1 fps per camera! At the time this was twice as much as you could record on time lapse vcr. In the last 5 years we have sold more 64 analogue dvr’s in the UK and Ireland than anyone else.

That's an interesting history lesson... we should share some stories!

However, I find it odd that such an obviously large company should resort to stealing information on the internet. Can your company not afford to have a respectable R & D department? Sad state of affairs if they can't or won't.... It seems greed or bad business sense may have played/ or plays a role in your organization. Not good! I would advise prepping your resume!

We now use more widly GeoVision IP cameras. Balancede price, high fitured. Free SW for 32 IP cameras with analitic - the same SW Nuuo swll for money)))

The have cameras from 1.3 Mp till 4 Mp, Fish Eye (360 like Mobotix).... they have sollution for making mix Analog + IP cameras using IP servers and DVR boards.