knezz

DVR Card and Camera fps Help needed?

Greetings:

I have 4 Panasonic WV-CW474A Dome Cameras. They do 30fps/480 to 570 lines horizontal & 350 vertical. I’m looking for a good Video Capture card with flexible software. The cameras also do motion detection.

My application is my residence’s front, back doors. I plan on doing motion detection to save on hard drive space. I have a highly loaded PC (Windows 7, XP or Vista). Hard drive space won’t be an issue as I have a 2TB drive I can install. I plan on segregating the operating systems from the recording drive by installing a 2nd hard drive.

The two cards that caught my eye are the GeoVision GV-600-4 and the Avermedia NV3000. If someone has any comparison experience with the two cards can you please point out the differences (advantages/disadvantages)? I would like to also know which one has the software advantage?

Both cards do 30fps. My understanding of this is that it is a shared 30fps on the card. Example 4 cameras recording at the same time = 7.5 fps each? If my understanding is correct, if I use motion and the other 3 cameras aren’t recording will the camera recording record at 30 fps or does that have to be hard coded to 7 fps to ensure that all cameras will record properly when activated?

How many fps are needed to get a crisp recognizable image of a person (understanding that it will vary with the conditions)?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Regards.

I don't know about GeoVision specifically, but most PC-based systems I've used, the "available" framerates can be divided between cameras any way you want - for example, you could have two cameras at 10fps and two others at 5fps - anything that adds up to 30. And yes, those rates are fixed - one input set at 5fps will always record at 5fps regardless of the state of the others. Those are all set in the DVR and have nothing to do with the cameras.

FPS isn't a factor in getting "crisp, recognizable" images - that's mainly a factor of resolution and shutter speed (and of course, lens quality and how well it's focused). FPS - also called IPS (images per second) just defines how many times it captures the scene. Take a look at this demo to see the difference: http://www.panasonic.com/business/security/demos/PSS-recording-rates.html

Thank you for the info and the link.

I now understand – as with photography lens quality, shutter speed and camera determine picture quality. A higher FPS/IPS will increase my chances of getting that face shot?

Looking at the link 15 fps is barely distinguishable compared to 30 fps. 7.5 seem acceptable also.

Thanks so very much for the response and education.

Now all I need is for someone with experience on the two cards above to give me a recommendation?

Regards.

I don't know if you'd see a big difference in the CARDS from your end... moreso in the software, and a lot of that is personal preference. I've not used the Aver software, but I have dealt with several GeoVision systems... they work alright, but I'm not a fan of the interface.

like soundy has said not much between them. and in price but the aver is hybrid so it just pips the geo

dont buy the aver nv3000 lite

I did notice that the Avermedia NV3000 is listed as a hybrid and that is the reason why I was leaning that way (also it's a few bucks cheaper )

The card isn't listed as lite. The mfr # is NVDNV3000.

Thanks all for the help. I will purchase and let you know what I think.

Regards.

I did notice that the Avermedia NV3000 is listed as a hybrid and that is the reason why I was leaning that way (also it's a few bucks cheaper )

Regards.

hi that a newegg code. buy from a dealer. get support were are you ???

Regards.

hi that a newegg code. buy from a dealer. get support were are you ???

Quite a number of companies use that code. I found it a little cheaper than Newegg.