LGC

Police Forensics Examination of GE Safestore Pro II

We have been asked to undertake a forensic examination of a GE SafeStore Pro II (SDVR-10PII-320) unit serial number D600-YP92-661614 on behalf of South Yorkshire Police. Unfortunately, the unit automatically goes into record and the keyboard is locked out (password protected). I am unable to stop the Record function as I am unable to access the menu because no one knows the passwords that were set for the system. None of the default passwords listed in the manual work either. Is there any method that can be used to unlock the control panel that is not listed in the manual, but will not damage the integraty of the data on the hard drives?

No cameras are attached to the system. Will the DVR still record any video to the hard drives?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not familiar with these machines specifically, but I should think resetting passwords or resetting the system to defaults shouldn't affect the data. Whether it's still recording would depend on the settings - if it's set to constant record, then old footage would probably be getting overwritten with blank video (unless it's designed to record with signal loss)... motion recording, you're probably safe.

Silly question, but have you tried contacting GE Security? I've only ever dealt with one GE DVR and had to call their tech support on that, but they were actually pretty helpful. You should be able to find contact info at www.gesecurity.com

We have been asked to undertake a forensic examination of a GE SafeStore Pro II (SDVR-10PII-320) unit serial number D600-YP92-661614 on behalf of South Yorkshire Police. Unfortunately, the unit automatically goes into record and the keyboard is locked out (password protected). I am unable to stop the Record function as I am unable to access the menu because no one knows the passwords that were set for the system. None of the default passwords listed in the manual work either. Is there any method that can be used to unlock the control panel that is not listed in the manual, but will not damage the integraty of the data on the hard drives?

No cameras are attached to the system. Will the DVR still record any video to the hard drives?

Thanks in advance.

are you LGC Forensics in Middlesex ??? why can the passwork not be got from the owners of the dvr.someone must of seen the footage on the dvr. ??? you can take the drive out and put it into a caddy and see what files you have. there are 2 types of GE PRO 11 2005 and 2008 both run differant software. so you need to know which before you even try to flash it.

Call GE Tech support, they'll probably be able to walk you through getting into the unit.

Also, I do not recommend removing the HDD. From what I recall, those units autoformat when the drive is put back into the machine so if you can't get it off with the PC, your data is gone.

The storesafe's I used in the past had the Nucleus RTOS but the newer model you have may have changed, eitherway:

http://www.acceleratedtechnology.com.tw/embedded/nuc_rtos.html

http://www.acceleratedtechnology.com.tw/embedded/nuc_file.html

Its been so long since i used them I cant recall if they autoformat or not.

Best bet is to contact GE though and have the firmware version to give to them.

Thanks in advance.

are you LGC Forensics in Middlesex ??? why can the passwork not be got from the owners of the dvr.someone must of seen the footage on the dvr. ???

Most DVRs I've seen allow viewing while in "user" mode. He's trying to stop it recording, I was assume so as not to overwrite data - that would definitely require an admin login.

It's not uncommon at all for people to lose track of a changed admin password, especially if a site has changed ownership or management. Heck, I run into customers regularly who change a password, don't write it down, and then promptly forget it.

Oh yeah if you want to stop it recording for now ..

Pull the plug, remove the hard drive, put it on the side for safe keeping, and plug in another old hard drive just to get it back up for now. It will normally keep rebooting without a hard drive installed.

Oh yeah if you want to stop it recording for now ..

Pull the plug, remove the hard drive, put it on the side for safe keeping, and plug in another old hard drive just to get it back up for now. It will normally keep rebooting without a hard drive installed.

That works... unless Bean00 is right:

Also, I do not recommend removing the HDD. From what I recall, those units autoformat when the drive is put back into the machine so if you can't get it off with the PC, your data is gone.

Thanks in advance.

based on your serial No D600-YP92-661614 i have sent you the master code reset for both types of software. try the first one first if your dvr is around 2005-6.