westtx28

New Build - Win 7 or XP

I'm building up a new PC to use as a NVR for a couple of Vivotek IP761 megapixel cameras. I am going back and forth between XP Pro and Win 7 Pro. This is a simple setup but it needs to be as reliable as it can. The pc will be in a closet and not monitored very often. It will not be connected to the open internet either.

Thanks

I'm building up a new PC to use as a NVR for a couple of Vivotek IP761 megapixel cameras. I am going back and forth between XP Pro and Win 7 Pro. This is a simple setup but it needs to be as reliable as it can. The pc will be in a closet and not monitored very often. It will not be connected to the open internet either.

Thanks

if you are not going over open internet. then you may find it cheaper to just buy the nvr. by the time you have built a new pc and poe switcher. and you want reliability just use the plug and play nvr

http://www.vivotek.com/products/model.php?video_server=nr7401

I would just go with XP. Both XP and 7 are reliable, but XP is cheaper, and you don't need the aesthetics of 7.

I thought Win7 was cheaper now?

Id go XP anyway as its just better: faster, lighter, smaller, proven.

That said as XP slowly goes off the scene Im getting ready .. 2011 is the year that I will start switching all my XP clients to Linux as its just that good now, it blows away the lastest Windows OS and crushes the latest Mac.

Hmmm. You may be right on the cost of XP vs. 7 now...

I totally agree with you on going to Linux. Its really great for these types of applications, (and more).

Of course, Linux does have more of a learning curve, took me a little while to get familiar with troubleshooting, lots of commands, etc.

Remember: Google is your friend!!!!

My main profession is a software developer and I build quite a few PCs for development and clients. Windows is definitely my comfort zone. My OEM cost on XP and Win 7 is the same so that isn't a factor. I was leaning toward XP like you guys said but I wanted to make sure I wasn't just being old and stubborn about it. I've had exceptionally good luck with Win 7 but I haven’t run it on a machine that just sits in a closet and runs a single program for months at a time with no user interaction.

2011 is the year that I will start switching all my XP clients to Linux

+1

I'm running Exacq on Ubuntu and it's responsive and rock solid. I wish Avigilon ran on Linux.

Best,

Christopher

I'd go with 7 myself. While XP is still an excellent stable OS, the fact is it's about obsolete. Now granted, that doesn't matter a whole with what you're doing, but I've found 7 to be just as stable if not more so than XP nowadays.

While XP is still an excellent stable OS, the fact is it's about obsolete.

Its only obsolete if one listens to Microsoft.

Microsoft are in the business to make money, a killing actually. They want people to buy whatever new software they throw out there regardless of how good it is. There was no reason to switch from XP to Vista nor Win7, but its new and makes them more money.

Win7 Stripped down - 600-700Mb Memory usage idle with nothing else open.

Win XP - 80Mb ... nuff said