kingkong

AVI / DAV motion/lighting detection after DVR download

Hi All,

Bit of a problem. The camera I am working with was set to motion detection but a cobweb near the lens means many extremely long periods of motion were detected so as a result I have hours of footage - however I need to find a single event without having to manually watch all the footage. All the footage is night footage.

The event I need to isolate will be lit up the the motion detection floodlights. Is there any software that will merge all the files into one and then search the video file to isolate the event by performing a detection of the change in lighting? ie. From dark to flood-lit? I have approximately 100 files which are all both .dav and also in .avi format after converting.

Is this possible and which software would be required?

Hope I have explained this clearly, thanks.

Not so easy.

If manufacturer doesnt has this feature, another manufacturers will not help....

Also, You can convert files from .dav to .avi, but ask about this feature rory

And load this files to expensive search soft.

Or, just spent You time to watch video

Edited by Guest

All the files are on my PC running Win XP. So I would like to do this "off-DVR" ie. on the PC. I can work with the files in .dav or .avi format. Is there any software that will take an avi file, analyze it, and then create bookmarks where the change between frames is enormous? Like when a floodlight switches on at night? The period of time I am working on is approximately 8 hours.

what make is your dvr ??? can you not narrow down your files to approx time of your footage needed

.dav files extension means Dahua recorders

Also, i'm every time wondering, about installers promises to customer.

Like forensics search functionality. Lots of equipment manufacture companies can do ROI (Region Of Interest) search, but this is not "advanced motion search" .........

I have the converter so I have the files in both .dav and .avi. Just need to find software for Win XP that will search the video and locate the greatest change between frames when the floodlight switches on.

Too painful to sit through +- 8 hours of night, having to open each file manually, even at 8x

All the files are on my PC running Win XP. So I would like to do this "off-DVR" ie. on the PC. I can work with the files in .dav or .avi format. Is there any software that will take an avi file, analyze it, and then create bookmarks where the change between frames is enormous? Like when a floodlight switches on at night? The period of time I am working on is approximately 8 hours.

Some companies works years......

http://www.visionbase.co.uk/vbdigital.html

I have the converter so I have the files in both .dav and .avi. Just need to find software for Win XP that will search the video and locate the greatest change between frames when the floodlight switches on.

Too painful to sit through +- 8 hours of night, having to open each file manually, even at 8x

This can be simple motion search. Just spent You time, or load video to any encoder with motion search capability. And come for results after three days

what make is your dvr ??? can you not narrow down your files to approx time of your footage needed

.dav files extension means Dahua recorders

Also, i'm every time wondering, about installers promises to customer.Like forensics search functionality. Lots of equipment manufacture companies can do ROI (Region Of Interest) search, but this is not "advanced motion search" .........

what ???

what ???

What, what.... I'm not very good in languages....

But, if installer promise to customer "catch" anything.... I'm surprised.....

Just change wondering to surprised.

I cant help with the advanced search part (yet)

But here is a program im still working on that auto converts .dav files in a folder to .avi, unzip and dump the dav2avimon.exe file and the dav2avi subfolder into a folder loaded with .dav files and then click the dav2avimon.exe program .. it will start converting 100 files at a time and dump them into a sub folder called AVI .. once done it will just sit there waiting and you can go File, Exit to close out (x just puts it in the system tray, designed as an auto convert when using PSS for alarm video monitoring). Note: once the files are converted it deletes the .dav file. Use at your own risk, tested on XPSP3 only. It uses a customized Dahua player to do each conversion behind the scenes (results in some screen flickering)

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/files/forum/monitor.zip

To join the AVI files I have used this in the past:

http://yamb.unite-video.com/download.html

To split them I use this:

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/download.html

I also use Handbrake to do some extra work to them especially for playing them on the web

You might be able to find a better Mp4 analysis/search program so maybe convert it to that.

Also maybe try this on the AVI files to make an image with all the thumbnails in one:

http://www.suu-design.com/downloads.html

Thanks rory, that is awesome because I may have found part of the solution so far but was struggling to join all the avi's. I found VirtualDub so long, tested it with another avi, raised the thresh-hold and it seems to detect the changes - so it seems to offer some type of lighting/motion detection abilities.

Now virtualdub also allows appending of avi's but it seems to be one at a time, unless there are other methods with VD I haven't found yet. I'm going to try your link above tomorrow. I may be half way there however it will be worth it in the long run as this will come in handy often.

2:30am off to bed.

Thanks for the assistance, will work on it again tomorrow

one way off the top of my head to detect motion is ..

create a bunch of thumbnails for each frame, then using the smallest file as the base for no motion, anything larger than that is motion .. not advanced but basically thats it to detect simple changes. However the files as BMPs would be the same size so would need to convert to Jpg then remove the BMPs and work from the Jpgs - ofcourse this is easier done in programming.

Another solution may be to scan the video with TV commercial detection software used on home TV DVR's. These devs have worked for years on the logic, one method they use is to detect changes in black level (like those between many TV show segments and their commercials).

Can't hurt to run them and see what comes out, both offer free versions.

Comskip

http://www.kaashoek.com/comskip/

Show Analyzer

http://www.dragonglobal.biz/showanalyzer.html