So I was talking to the Arecont rep yesterday and he claimed that I should be using a high def laptop when focusing a MP camera. He went on to say how much you are giving up by just using a standard VGA laptop monitor. This all makes sense, but I'm wondering how many people actually use a high def laptop to focus in there MP cameras?

This is why I am now using remote focus and zoom cameras.

Exclusively? What about that large job you have going now with Arecont cameras? Just using the ol laptop?

Saw the Sanyo autofocus in person also. It was pretty amazing concept.

So I was talking to the Arecont rep yesterday and he claimed that I should be using a high def laptop when focusing a MP camera. He went on to say how much you are giving up by just using a standard VGA laptop monitor. This all makes sense, but I'm wondering how many people actually use a high def laptop to focus in there MP cameras?

Ridiculous. I do it just fine on my 1024x600 res netbook screen. I just set the camera display to full zoom and scroll the screen to the area I need to focus on. Resolution is the same at full zoom whether I'm viewing it on a 1600x1200 screen, or cropped on a 1024x600 screen.

I didn't spec the job and now that I have to focus many 10MP cameras 50ft in air when it is 10 degrees out ,when I know I could be saving many hours of labor while my butt will be in a chair in a warm room. Auto focus would be very nice right now.

Edited by Guest

Ridiculous. I do it just fine on my 1024x600 res netbook screen. I just set the camera display to full zoom and scroll the screen to the area I need to focus on. Resolution is the same at full zoom whether I'm viewing it on a 1600x1200 screen, or cropped on a 1024x600 screen.

That's where I was confused with his comments. He said like you Soundy, to zoom into focal area and set the focus when the pixels start to enlarge. This way you can see the focus easier. Then zoom back out, check and zoom in again to fine tune if needed. When zoomed, you won't have better resolution on the HD monitor as it's only as good as the image your looking at. Hence my post, as I was wondering if I was maybe missing the boat on this one.

I didn't spec the job and now that I have have to focus many 10MP cameras 50ft in air when it is 10 degrees out ,when I know I could be saving many hours of labor while my butt will be in a chair in a warm room. Auto focus would be very nice right now.

The cold just makes it that much worse too. Especially when you start to loose feeling in your cold hands.

I use a standard resolution laptop (and sometimes a tablet PC with 640*800 resolution) when setting up Arecont cameras.

As Soundy noted above, you can always zoom into a specific area to fine focus (I try to pick an object that is easiest to make out changes in detail on, like a picket fence, etc.)

As long as you zoom in enough to get at least a 1:1 ratio of pixels from the camera to pixels on the laptop (about 1/4 of the screen is usually enough), it's usually easy enough to focus.....

Unless your hands are frozen, or you are standing on the top of a ladder holding the laptop in one hand and focusing with the other (look Ma, no hands!), sun glaring on the laptop screen, or doing the ever popular two installer "little more, too much, back a little, too far" routine, etc, which is why autofocus really is a nice feature!

Some NVR software (Milestone and Exacq, at least), have a setup screen that will show the filesize coming from the camera.

I often use this to fine focus, as largest filesize usually equals best focus (I know, iris settings, motion, and a lot of other things affect that too, but it usually works well).

+1

Also, with Sanyo cameras you can do pre-focus and angle choose (if no remote zoom) like standard camera with analog service monitor.

Otherwise - lots of time to do this job....

A few cameras, such as the IQ511, have a neat feature on their analog service port: the full screen shows the full view of the camera, while the center 1/3 or so of the frame has a full-zoom image along with a "focus meter". Works quite well, in my experience.

monitor275x227-1.jpg

But yeah, auto-backfocus is a lot nicer

+1

Also, with Sanyo cameras you can do pre-focus and angle choose (if no remote zoom) like standard camera with analog service monitor.

Avigilon H.264 gives you zoom and focus much better then Sanyo

What do you mean "better"? More X zoom? Faster autofocus? Just better picture?

I have to believe that more company's will be coming out with the auto focus option. Let's hope at least. Seems like a very value added feature. One that if you don't have it, you may be loosing out on the market in the future.

+1

hi guys, im a total newb when it comes to ip cameras but im thinking the sanyo 3100 or 3300 fits inside my budget for a front door camera. i have a 120watt light thats on at night on a timer and the porch area is 7' wide x 4' deep. in setting up the sanyo, are you saying that i have to do nothing at all in regards to manually focusing it? once installed and running, the camera focuses each time someone enters the area automatically?

and secondly, would the 3100 serve me fine for my purpose since i have the light on or would i still get better night performance with the 3300?

thanks for the help!

hi guys, im a total newb when it comes to ip cameras but im thinking the sanyo 3100 or 3300 fits inside my budget for a front door camera. i have a 120watt light thats on at night on a timer and the porch area is 7' wide x 4' deep. in setting up the sanyo, are you saying that i have to do nothing at all in regards to manually focusing it? once installed and running, the camera focuses each time someone enters the area automatically?

and secondly, would the 3100 serve me fine for my purpose since i have the light on or would i still get better night performance with the 3300?

thanks for the help!

3300 will give you little bet night performance, in this situation, but not "critical".

Camera doesn't have continuous auto focus, but this feature not necessary. Just auto focus for setup, and refocus, if IRC filter moves out (3300 - 3500 cameras).

+1

thanks for the help!

From my tests with a 3100 and 2300 I like the low light image better in color then B/W. Sanyos image gets very noisy in low b/w settings.

What do you mean "better"? More X zoom? Faster autofocus? Just better picture?

Avigilon is both motorized zoom and focus. When you mount the camera us just have to aim it then you log into you laptop and remote zoom and focus. Sanyo was nice but Avigilon better. And yes the Avigilon H.264 cameras have a better image then Sanyo.

Avigilon is both motorized zoom and focus. When you mount the camera us just have to aim it then you log into you laptop and remote zoom and focus. Sanyo was nice but Avigilon better. And yes the Avigilon H.264 cameras have a better image then Sanyo.

What is price level, when compare with the same "level" sanyo?

once installed and running, the camera focuses each time someone enters the area automatically?

quote]

3300 will give you little bet night performance, in this situation, but not "critical".

Camera doesn't have continuous auto focus, but this feature not necessary. Just auto focus for setup, and refocus, if IRC filter moves out (3300 - 3500 cameras).

Focus Assist would probably be better wording

indoor version Avigilon 1080P is about the same and outdoor by the time you add the backbox and heater to Sanyo (and if you can get the parts ) the Avigilon is cheaper then Sanyo.

From my tests with a 3100 and 2300 I like the low light image better in color then B/W. Sanyos image gets very noisy in low b/w settings.

thats very interesting. so in my case then, where i have a porch light on all night either model i get will most likely always stay in color, correct?

From my tests with a 3100 and 2300 I like the low light image better in

color then B/W. Sanyos image gets very noisy in low b/w settings.

thats very interesting. so in my case then, where i have a porch light on all night either model i get will most likely always stay in color, correct?

I would only spec the d/n Sanyo cameras if I was using IR.

I would only spec the d/n Sanyo cameras if I was using IR.

My experience is the same. Except 2500-3500, if you need also audio, local storage and more streams configuration flexibility...