tlavite

Sony SSCM383 B&W Analog camera Slowly fades to black

Hi this problem just started developing tonight. I have a Sony SSCM383 B&W camera it works great but tonight i noticed that i had a L for loss of video signal warning pop up. The camera was off i checked the video line and it was fine so i unplugged the fuse for the camera and plugged it back in (its 24V AC). The camera came back on and all was good well i walked away and about 20 minutes later and came back back and it was off again. I unplugged the fuse and plugged it back in sure enough the video returned. So i went back about 5 minutes in my DVR and watched for when the camera went out... what i found out was that the camera is slowly turning the picture darker and darker until the camera actually shows no video output, the DVR displays an "L" when the signal is lost. The cameras are in Ultrak housings with blower and heater. Its 24.7F outside right now but I have never had any problems with this camera. I have no clue what it could be is the camera just slowly dying?

UPDATE: I just witnessed it do it again... it starts to slowly fade darker but then flashes from dark to lite. Its weird and then it stops flashing and slooooooowly fades to nothing and then drops signal completely.

Does the camera have a heater with it in an enclosure?

Sounds to me like it's just too cold.

Possibly could be a power problem...

I've had some cameras do similar things, when I reviewed the video it had slowly faded away to nothing, as the night got colder and colder!

Obviously, to test this you could install a heater, or bring the camera inside, warm it up, and test it.

Does the camera have a heater with it in an enclosure?

Sounds to me like it's just too cold.

Possibly could be a power problem...

I've had some cameras do similar things, when I reviewed the video it had slowly faded away to nothing, as the night got colder and colder!

Obviously, to test this you could install a heater, or bring the camera inside, warm it up, and test it.

It does have a heater in the enclosure. I checked the heater a few months ago and it worked but it might have gone out Ill give it a test today and see what happens.

hi there,

if you want to test it maybe this will work for you.

1. exchange the camera to another existing housing and live it running for a test period of time.

if works will discard problems with the cammera and you have to focus on housing.

2. you may disconnected from the fuse box and make a temporary line of energy. if works your problem is on the fuse box. if dont change the housing.

hope this help you. any way some times my clients dont have enough time to do this so i live a temporary cammera while i do this in my shop.

If the camera is getting dim when its getting cold, the cold itself is not necessarily the problem, its probably the heater thats getting triggered on which is pulling more amps that is the problem. Depending on which Ultrak housing you have, the heater gets triggered on when it reaches below 40 some odd degrees. It has to be pretty cold outside for the inside of your housing to get that cool because your camera usually puts off alot of heat anyways and that will keep the inside of the housing warmer than it is outside.

What I would do is bypass the housings heater circuit board for a few days to see if you still have the problem. While your up there, check the Ultraks circuit board to see if you see anything with burn marks, the housing's heater could have finally pooped out on you, this is rare for the Ultrak housing as they built those like a mule but overtime, it's bound to happen.. But ff you dont have the problem occur after a few days and you dont notice anything wrong with the Ultraks circuit board, then you will know that the Ultrak housing is pulling too much amperage. Getting a power supply with more amps will solve the problem. Get a 24 VAC 40VA transformer and should definetely take care of the problem. You can get them for $10-20 online.

If all else fails, you could always just bypass the housings circuit board and run the cable and wires directly into the camera. I dont think you will have to worry about the cameras getting too cold as I said before, they stay pretty warm from being on. The main good thing about heaters and fans is they help prevent fog from being on the window, but as long as you have a good camera and not a cheapo, it should be fine as long as your housing is sealed up and moisture free, I wouldnt worry about overheating or overcooling.