peskypete

Slow local network access when running Geovision

I have several computers networked locally, and when I manually copy files to them, I see the transfer rate around 10 Mbits/sec, including the computer that has a GV-800 and 8.3 installed on it - but not running.

When I run the s/w and try to copy a file to THAT computer, the transfer rate drops into the Kbit range (around 600).

I have tried changing many settings, including disabling Webserver, to no avail.

Only when I stop monitoring (no difference) AND exit Multicam, do I get my speed back.

I have one cam, that is a ptz with tracking enabled.

The network is all Gigabit, but that doesn't seem to do much on any of the computers (ie, only 10Mbits).

Any suggestions? Or is this the norm?

When I try to view video files when Multicam is running, they take a while to transfer over before playing. If I stop Multicam, they play right away.

Cheers!

More info:

When I exit the Control Centre s/w, I do notice a sig. transfer speed increase - around 1-2Mbits/sec. So that's something that is crippling it...

Hi,

What are the machine spec's on this PC?

Sounds like it could be fully loaded up CPU usage wise, although with 1 camera that would mean your PC is quite old or incorrectly setup. Also check you have the latest stable chipset drivers, network drivers and storage controller drivers.

Check in task manager, under the performance tab, with "Show Kernel times" enabled.

With the PC idling with Geo 8.3 running, what is the CPU usage sitting on?

Well, for some unknown reason, the network speed is now back to normal, for 10/100, at least.

I get file transfer speeds of around 10MB/sec from machine A to B, or C, (when Geovision is NOT running) so this is acceptable.

When it is running, I can access security mpegs from my main system (not the security camera one) across the lan, without having to wait a while for caching, and the transfer speed is around 2MB/sec.

Sata drives in all systems and fairly good ram and cpu's in all.

Task manager:

I am not sure how to enable "Show Kernel Times', but there is quite a bit of stuff in the PID column, which I am going to go through and figure out.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Well, I am making some progress...

After running task manager on all computers, it seems that one of my (2) network switches was NOT allowing 1Gb connectivity.

So I swapped switches, so that the three computers now all show 1Gb/sec under the Networking tab (Link Speed).

When I copy a test file between Main and Family room computer, I now get blazing speeds of 90Mb/sec!!!

However, my speed to the security cam system is still very slow.

In fact, since I did the switch swap, it's now down to 1Mb/sec (down from 2, and Geovision is NOT running).

I did re-boot the router, and, since Task Manager SAYS I have a 1Gb link with little network utilization, I think my problem is hard drive related. Going to try and find out if that's the problem.

even the new IDEs still just write around 30mbs while the new Satas write about 130 and the old (couple years) around 55. GB switch would mean 1000 so even with a regular one you should be able to get 90?

When I mention file transfer speed, I am using Megabytes as my units, so 10MB/sec is about 80 Megabits/sec

I just checked the f/t speed to the suspect pc, and it now up from 1-2MB/sec to 10MB/sec, which is still only 10/100 lan speed.

I am currently re-booting it to run chkdsk.

The defrag test came back as 0% fragmented

Hello,

I'm concentrating my comments here on the PC that has Geovision, and how this affects your access speeds considerably (dependant on whether Geovision is running or not).

Does this PC have a single HDD for O/S & Geovision? What interface HDD is it? (IDE / Sata / SCSI??lol?)

Is this also where Geovision saves its video log files?

Cheers,

Bob W

To trouble shoot, I stopped running Geovision, and am only able to get transfer speeds of 10MB/sec, instead of 80MB/sec, like the other 1 Gigabit computers, even though the task manager states it is running at 1Gb.

So now that takes geovision out of the equation.

As I mentioned before, the drive is a Sata (1TB).

I have run a full (windows) disk check on it, with no errors. It is not fragmented and has lot's of space.

All drivers are up to date (windows 7, fresh install)

I am resigned to the fact that when Geovision is running, it is going to hog the network, so I am trying to network trouble shoot without it now.

I KNOW that I should be getting better transfer speeds, since the TM shows it is now running at 1GB, so I am hitting a wall right now.

Thanks

Now I have a couple of different problems!

Even though I have Start Monitor ticked, when Geovision starts (on re-boot), monitoring is off.

Also, when I close GV, it restarts immediately again!

The Exit Option: Auto Restart Windows is unchecked.

Any suggestions??

Edit:

Ok, after 3x of shutting down, with GV restarting , on it's own, it finally shut down without restarting... that was strange!

Then, I restarted it and the monitoring is now enabled...

Gremlins in the code?

Edit again!:

Ok, so I shut it down again, to troubleshoot network, and.... it just loaded up again on it's own! And, monitoring is....off!

Back to square 1...

Edit 3:

Just got off the on-line support chat with GV and he was able to stop the restarting -

You may have hardware watchdog enabled

To disable this feature, click the Configure button , point to Tools, select Video Signal Diagnostic, and select Disable Video Signal Weak Watchdog.

That worked!

Now, back to network troubleshooting...

Copying FROM the GV system (with GV off), I am getting a much better speed... about 20MB/sec. Still not up near 100 (1Gbit speeds), but good.

Copying TO the GV system is still around 6MB/sec.

Copying TO another computer is up around 80MB/sec.

Ok, I think I know what the issue was.

I had a Gigabit NIC card - PCI

The GV-800 also runs on the PCI bus.

I think that the card was/is such a PCI bus hog, that it was restricting the NIC.

I decided to kill al birds with one stone and toss the MB!

I put in an LGA775 with 5700 processor.

The card has (of course!) on-board Gigabit LAN.

I know am getting 20-30 MBits/Sec with Multicam running.

Problem solved!

It may have been that the single core P4 2.8GB was being consumed by Multicam too, but I think it was the PCI bus being over burdened.

Now I can use this system as a file back-up system properly too!

Yay!