I need to realize a 44 ip camera system. Most of cameras are 2mp at 15fps, encoding is h264.

The vendor propose me 2 Qnap viostor vs-8032u-rp, should it be ok?

Which kind of server+NVR software do you suggest?

thanks

I've used the QNAP NAS boxes as storage for Vigil DVR/NVRs, they work quite well. AFAIK their NVR boxes are essentially the same units but with different firmware (oriented toward NVR rather than general-purpose functionality) and connections for a local console. They should work quite well for you, the QNAP boxes are solid.

With this setup, you don't need a server - the cameras record directly to the storage array.

I'm a bit confused. I need a vms to manage camera, playback from varius client, etc...hovewer each camera could record directly to a nas, isn't it?

So I need a good nas to storage and a medium pc with vms istalled on it to manage the system. I don't need a server.

a stand alone NVR is a good pc or server with a large storage and a vms preinstalled on it, isn't it?

I have take a look to exacq vms, I like its wide client's support (windows, linux, mac os x, ipad, android, etc)

there are other good vms with mac os x support?

I'm sorry for many stupid questions...I'm reading a lot of info in these days and I lost the way...

I'm a bit confused. I need a vms to manage camera, playback from varius client, etc...hovewer each camera could record directly to a nas, isn't it?

While some cameras can record directly to a NAS, you don't want to do it that way, particularly for a large number of cameras. The VMS should control the recording, which includes such mundane tasks as file system organization and file naming, reusing storage, etc.

I have take a look to exacq vms, I like its wide client's support (windows, linux, mac os x, ipad, android, etc)

Exacq is a good choice. They offer servers, or you can license the software and build your own servers.

Best,

Christopher

I need to realize a 44 ip camera system. Most of cameras are 2mp at 15fps, encoding is h264.

The vendor propose me 2 Qnap viostor vs-8032u-rp, should it be ok?

Which kind of server+NVR software do you suggest?

thanks

Are you a end user or installer?

I am an end user, I'm graduate in computer science but I have only played with some single camera. I have never installed or used a surveillance system.

I have asked some quote around, but I'm very suspicious so I'm taking some info.

I would try to configure the system to my own (the software side).

I would try to configure the system to my own (the software side).

Wow, 44 IP cameras, that's a huge project for a first time DIY project. Heck, that's a big project for many installers.

Best,

Christopher

Actually Milestone is OK. Its very user friendly and really easy to install. If you have 44 IP cameras and want to put it all on one system something like Milestone Profesional would be perfect. You can install up to 64 cameras on professional and you can install it on several PCs to split up the cameras. Using a PC along side a NAS is a bad idea especially if you are going to put all archives and recordings on it. You will want as much bandwidth as you can get form your system and using a NAS with 44 IP cameras will help kill that.

I installed many a Milestone systems and the problem I come across most is making sure the PC or server can handle the processing and sending data to the disks. Proper calculations will give you a stable system. Good high RPM disks with high throughput helps too.

How will your network be setup? Is this install just one building or several connected together? POE cameras? How are you going to view the cameras?

You can split the cameras up on 2 PC's with using the same SLC license from Milestone. Every camera you register will create a "DLK" and since this is one install you can put 22 cameras on one PC and 22 on the other. all DLK's are linked to its SLC.

Actually Milestone is OK. Its very user friendly and really easy to install. If you have 44 IP cameras and want to put it all on one system something like Milestone Profesional would be perfect. You can install up to 64 cameras on professional and you can install it on several PCs to split up the cameras. Using a PC along side a NAS is a bad idea especially if you are going to put all archives and recordings on it. You will want as much bandwidth as you can get form your system and using a NAS with 44 IP cameras will help kill that.

I installed many a Milestone systems and the problem I come across most is making sure the PC or server can handle the processing and sending data to the disks. Proper calculations will give you a stable system. Good high RPM disks with high throughput helps too.

How will your network be setup? Is this install just one building or several connected together? POE cameras? How are you going to view the cameras?

You can split the cameras up on 2 PC's with using the same SLC license from Milestone. Every camera you register will create a "DLK" and since this is one install you can put 22 cameras on one PC and 22 on the other. all DLK's are linked to its SLC.

User friendly and easy to install are not thinks that come to mind with Milestone.

User friendly and easy to install are not thinks that come to mind with Milestone.

Can you give an example of why?

We have installed many Milesotne versions in the past 3 years and 99% of the end users here find Smart Client very easy. I can setup 130 IP cameras on an Enterprise system in about an hour. This is of course the cameras are all mounted, servers built, network is in order and you have all your naming conventions down for your cameras. That you would for any system anyway. Ive done it.

I can setup 130 IP cameras on an Enterprise system in about an hour.

So you charge 1 hour service for a 130 camera install?

I can setup 130 IP cameras on an Enterprise system in about an hour.

So you charge 1 hour service for a 130 camera install?

Hahaha! Good point! But no of course not. You have to remember the rest of the install too you know:-) Lots of wire to pull, building the servers, switches to setup with security/trunking, making sure all the links between the remote locations and the head end is working and stable.......... then when all is fine, Milestone config.

Besides, it isnt me that quotes the jobs;-) I install and service them.

44 IP cameras, that's a huge project for a first time DIY project

It's a security system to protect a my building so I'll take a try, if something is not working I can kick ass by myself:)

It's just one building. The network is a gigabit one with a cat6 cable serving only the secutity system, I also have a ups protected power line to keep poe switch(and camera) running if a black out occurs.

I would setup a 2 monitor client into the monitor room. However, when I'm away, I would be able to see the camera remotely by my laptop or cellphone

I like the idea to split the system into two server, it's a good thing for redundancy and load....At the beginning I was planning to buy 2 qnap server to obtain this.

is It possible the same thing with exacqvision?

I like exacqvision for it's wide client support because I have several mac os x computer and I'm planning to buy an android phone. The only pity is that exacq doesn't support italian language(now at least).

I've asked a quote for exacq to the europe dealer, he has forwarded the email to the italian dealer (I don't know who is, on the website is not present).

Online I have see about 125$ for 1 license camera, there are some discount for large camera system? have you got some experience?

thanks

Hmmm, Macs, I love Macs i own 3.

Take a look at http://www.securityspy.com/

They have software for Mac computers so if you have a MacPro or a Xserve with Xsan this may be a good solution for you. You may want to check their camera driver list to make sure your cameras are supported. I think their solution is less costly then the Windows types. Its 500 pounds for unlimited cameras and the concept of splitting up cameras on several servers should work here too. Think the only draw back is it may not be as tweak-able as the Windows based systems.

I have seen Exaqvision but I dont know it well enough to help you. I do know it supports a Mac client which is very nice, Milestone cant, at least not yet.

If you have an IT background as I do, this may be an option, not just for Milestone either:

I have installed VirtualBox on Macs and Linux machines and built a Windows VM so i could run Smart Client from Milestone. In fact you can build one Windows VM and export it, load it on the other macs and then your in. The original Windows install will take as long a any other Windows installation but the export takes 10-20 minutes to import into a new machine. All your settings will be exactly the same. You will have to update your Windows license so if you have a open license account with MS this is not an issue

You can run the Windows VM in seamless mode and have both environments running at the same time. Its very cool.

VirtualBox is open source (free) and dont forget to load the extension pack so you can share the hardware between your Mac and Windows

44 IP cameras, that's a huge project for a first time DIY project

It's a security system to protect a my building so I'll take a try, if something is not working I can kick ass by myself:)

It's just one building. The network is a gigabit one with a cat6 cable serving only the secutity system, I also have a ups protected power line to keep poe switch(and camera) running if a black out occurs.

I would setup a 2 monitor client into the monitor room. However, when I'm away, I would be able to see the camera remotely by my laptop or cellphone

I like the idea to split the system into two server, it's a good thing for redundancy and load....At the beginning I was planning to buy 2 qnap server to obtain this.

is It possible the same thing with exacqvision?

I like exacqvision for it's wide client support because I have several mac os x computer and I'm planning to buy an android phone. The only pity is that exacq doesn't support italian language(now at least).

I've asked a quote for exacq to the europe dealer, he has forwarded the email to the italian dealer (I don't know who is, on the website is not present).

Online I have see about 125$ for 1 license camera, there are some discount for large camera system? have you got some experience?

thanks

PM sent for Exacq software

I like exacqvision for it's wide client support because I have several mac os x computer

The exacq client software is indeed nice. You can connect a client to multiple servers, local and/or remote.

and I'm planning to buy an android phone.

exacq on the iPhone is excellent. Connections are surprisingly quick and video response is good, even over 3G. The demo lets you connect to servers at Exacq and view a wide range of cameras. I'm guessing the andriod implementation is similar to the iPhone.

My exacq rep is Michael Miller at The Wire Guys. Exceptional service and very knowledgeable.

Best,

Christopher