ayaggie

What type of camera to pick?

Currently, we have a networked DVR with 8 cameras installed. The DVR has room for an additional camera, which I plan on adding to cover our foyer area or parking lot (foyer = 25 ft, parking lot = 300)...

When the system was installed, an inexpensive Bosch color indoor dome camera was installed, and the quality is very poor--could this be linked to the DVR? The DVR installed was a Dedicated Micros ECO 9.

At any rate, I am considering both the foyer and the parking lot, although the foyer will probably win for now. Would someone be able to recommend a reasonably priced indoor dome camera for the foyer (doesn't have to be anything great, just a bit better than what we have) and also something for the parking lot? Our parking lot is decent sized, probably 50' x 50', so maybe something basic and something with zoom?

Also, the current camera system has a power supply junction box for the camera power, so if I were to purchase a Siamese video/power cable, could I just cut the end taht is made for the adapter and wire it up? Please advise.

What model was the Bosch? Usually Bosch equipment aint too shabby so it may be the DVR, but dedicated micros equipment aint that shabby either. Try plugging the camera directly into the monitor to see if you have better rez.

Our parking lot is decent sized, probably 50' x 50', so maybe something basic and something with zoom?

Are you talking about manual zoom or remote controlled zoom. Usually for a 50x50 lot, a fixed camera with a vari-focal lens should suit you fine. No need for a Zoom Camera or PTZ unless you are there to control it frequently. Just trying to save you the almighty dollar.

Also, the current camera system has a power supply junction box for the camera power, so if I were to purchase a Siamese video/power cable, could I just cut the end taht is made for the adapter and wire it up? Please advise.

Are you talking about the BNC connector when you say adapter? If you are talking about the power wire, its normally as simple as stripping the wires to expose them and screwing them into the power supply terminals. For the video cable, you would simply apply a BNC