Electryko

What NVR NAS

Hi, I need some advise

I have 2 Axis IP cams and a 241Q encoder.

I like to record 24/7 but I don't want a PC running all the time.

(my wife would kill me if she finds out a PC is using electricity all the time)

So I like to record on a NAS with build in NVR software.

Because I want to use the NAS for recording IP cams and as a Multimediaserver and also for personal datastorage in RAID5 I don't want a NAS for the camera's and a second NAS for the other data. I want an all in one.

I found the Thecus N0503 comboNAS, this one is affordable around $600 but it records in pictures and makes a video afterwards. (1 fps max)

I want at least 5fps per cam and 30fps max.

Does someone know a NAS with multimedia, ftp server, NVR etc which has NVR software with the possibilities like Cyeweb?

Greets, ElectrYko

QNAP has a couple different variations - they make an NVR-specific system that you can use as basic NAS storage (I believe it supports both SMB and FTP access); they also have a line of NAS systems with UPnP media server, FTP, web, PHP, MySQL, Bonjour, etc. etc. etc., that have limited support for some network cameras (I don't know about the Axis stuff specifically). Take a look at http://www.qnap.com for the latter, http://www.qnapsecurity.com for the former.

Edit: compatibility charts: http://www.qnap.com/pro_compatibility_camera.asp

Thanks,

QNAP has a great collection of NAS.

The QNAP VioStore has all the NVR stuff I want but no mediaserver and datastorage for non NVR stuff like movies or MP3.

The QNAP 412 and 419 seem to have it all, the NVR software is simple but good enough for my home.

The only problem is that I can't find the Axis209 and 241Q in the compatibility list, the list on the QNAP website is outdated from 2009.

The VioStore NAS supports all the camera's.

Does anyone know if the Axis209 and 241Q are supported already for QNAP Surveillance Station?

(the simplified version of the VioStore)

I would expect so... simply because there shouldn't be a significant difference between how the various cameras from one manufacturer interface. However, you could try contacting QNAP and asking them - I've found their support people to be very helpful and responsive.

On a related note, is it fairly common that IP cameras can record directly to a NAS without any NVR software running on a nearby PC in the same network? I have heard that Mobotix can do this but was not sure if this is fairly common across brands or a feature that should be had on all IP cameras. What I am trying to achieve is have an IP camera record the video data directly to a NAS and if/whenever I want to view the recorded video, I would get a Laptop with installed NVR software and would want to be able to connect to the NAS (database of recorded video) whether it be from within the local network or from a remote location with that said PC. And I would want the recording search to be flawless. And the thing is, I would want the NAS to be recording where a PC would not have to be running all the time within the local network of the NAS.

I am a big fan of QNAP as well, but I happen to have a nice Nuuo NVR for sale in the classifieds. PM me and I will make a deal with you to get you under what you are currently looking at spending.

Six months ago i bought the QNAP NAS with RAID1 option.

My camera's were not supported but i bought it for the RAID storage and the ftp server.

My plan was to buy a fanless PC with Windows Homeserver and a IP camera program.

This month I found out that the compatabilitylist for the NAS contained extra cams so for the moment i'm happy but 2 cams max.