Someone10101

Ability to hear & talk back to anyone@my front door remotely

I'm not exactly sure what you would call this device and that's probably why I'm having a hard time googling it.

What I want is the ability to hear when the door rings or someone knocking on my front door from my computer and cellphone while not at home.

Ex.

1. Person walks up to front door and rings door bell and/or knock on front door.

2. Sensor picks up the noise at the door or door bell ringer.

3. This device sends a notification to my cell or computer instantly saying someone is at the door.

4. I can use my computer's mic or cellphone and talk to it and the speakers at my front door will relay my voice as if I'm standing right inside my house next to the door.

Preference is to do this all via IP and standalone without the next for a computer to be on 24/7.

I thought about using something like Skype and sticking a microphone right on the door and I log into Skype on my cell/computer from a different locations and I can talk back and forth, but this requires a laptop being on 24/7 and another 3rd party software to notify me once sound is detected.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Thanks and I'll read up on it. I was looking more for something that will be completely transparent/hidden from the person who's at my front door. I want to pretend like I'm home, when I'm really not at home because the person(s) that will come and rob you will ring your doorbell to check and see if anyone responds.

The link looks like it's something that needs to be added to the outside of the front door, which I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks, but this still look like it requires something on the outside. Sorry, I wasn't clear at the start. Video isn't important(nice but not needed) since I have about 7 types of Nanny hidden camera all over the home in addition to cameras on the outside.

I want to fake it to make it sound like someone is actually at the door asking "What do you want?" (Yeah, no longer Mr. Nice Guy after my home got robbed.).

I understand the sound quality is heavily dependent on the speakers to make it sound as real as possible and thats the goal.

I want to be able trick anyone that comes to my front door and hear my voice would think I'm just on the other side of the door and not talking back through some intercom.

Direct wiring is not necessary since the volume from the doorbell or knock on the door will be much louder then anything else at home especially if the MIC is tape right up to the front door or door bell chime. It will be like sticking your up ear up to the device that generate the door bell sound when someone rings it or pressing your ear against the front door when someone knock...probably make you death.

I'll definitely read up on Mobotix product line.

Thanks everyone!

Don't think anyone will know the difference between an intercom with you speaking through a phone or you speaking through another intercom in another room.

I would suggest a prominent camera looking right at the person as they are standing at your door. Any one looking to make trouble is going to think "****, i'm already being recorded! " Combine that with you talking back to them, and they will know for certain they don't want to mess around here.

Thanks, but this still look like it requires something on the outside. Sorry, I wasn't clear at the start. Video isn't important(nice but not needed) since I have about 7 types of Nanny hidden camera all over the home in addition to cameras on the outside.

I want to fake it to make it sound like someone is actually at the door asking "What do you want?" (Yeah, no longer Mr. Nice Guy after my home got robbed.).

I understand the sound quality is heavily dependent on the speakers to make it sound as real as possible and thats the goal.

I want to be able trick anyone that comes to my front door and hear my voice would think I'm just on the other side of the door and not talking back through some intercom.

Direct wiring is not necessary since the volume from the doorbell or knock on the door will be much louder then anything else at home especially if the MIC is tape right up to the front door or door bell chime. It will be like sticking your up ear up to the device that generate the door bell sound when someone rings it or pressing your ear against the front door when someone knock...probably make you death.

I'll definitely read up on Mobotix product line.

Thanks everyone!

Mobotix can also play recorded messages based off of triggers.

I'm reading the review and it sounds like the Mobotix T24 requires the person at the front door to ring the door bell before you get an email notifications or phone call on your cell.

Q1. Anyone know if the Mobotix is able to detect motion and automatically call and email me without the need for the person to push the button on the T24?

Q2. Can the phone call be done over Skype to a Android phone running Skype or must the call originate from a land line to a cell phone only?

Q3. Can it record simultaneously onto a NAS drive and remotely onto a desktop PC I have at work?

Q4. Can it record the audio conversation between me and the person at the front door with the need for the person at the front door having to push a button to initiate the recording?

I just downloaded the owner manual and will read through it tonight when I have more time.

Thanks in advance!

I'm reading the review and it sounds like the Mobotix T24 requires the person at the front door to ring the door bell before you get an email notifications or phone call on your cell.

Q1. Anyone know if the Mobotix is able to detect motion and automatically call and email me without the need for the person to push the button on the T24?

Q2. Can the phone call be done over Skype to a Android phone running Skype or must the call originate from a land line to a cell phone only?

Q3. Can it record simultaneously onto a NAS drive and remotely onto a desktop PC I have at work?

Q4. Can it record the audio conversation between me and the person at the front door with the need for the person at the front door having to push a button to initiate the recording?

I just downloaded the owner manual and will read through it tonight when I have more time.

Thanks in advance!

Q1. I have not used the t24 but the other Mobotix cameras I have installed you can trigger events from motion detection. Also Mobotix has 2 different motion triggers so if motion 1 is triggered before motion 2 play message 1. If motion 2 triggered before motion 1 play message 2. Example You can play one message when someone comes to your house and a different message when they leave.

Q2. You need a VOIP server to make calls from the Mobotix cameras. Then it call any device or you can direct connect the camera to a VOIP phone or VOIP Video Phone. When (Button) Call (number)

Q3. Yes but you don't need to.

Q4. Yes When (button) trigger recording.

Go with the Mobotix solution, and set up an Asterisk server at the house.

^ this.

BTW, for a turnkey (well, as turnkey as it gets) Asterisk installation, I highly recommend Trixbox. I've been using it for almost 3 years now, and I'll be adding the Mobotix doorbell cam to my system as soon as I can scrape up a spare $1000.

Go with the Mobotix solution, and set up an Asterisk server at the house.

^ this.

BTW, for a turnkey (well, as turnkey as it gets) Asterisk installation, I highly recommend Trixbox. I've been using it for almost 3 years now, and I'll be adding the Mobotix doorbell cam to my system as soon as I can scrape up a spare $1000.

I have six mobotix cameras of various sorts in my home, and they are attached to my Asterisk-based PBX as extensions. I can call them from my Siemens hard-phone, or computer-based softphone and listen to whatever is going on...

Also, please allow me to make a PBX recommendation. Try "AsteriskNow." I don't know if the mods will have a problem with a non-sponsored link, but here it is:

http://www.asterisk.org/asterisknow/

I second the asterisk. You can use the free version and if you need to use an analog phone line instead of voip you can get an inexpensive grandstream gateway that will connect it to your phone line. Trixbox is a good system but is more geared for business and is based off of asterisk anyways.