zardoz

Specotech Intensifier Outdoor Cameras - Cold weather

Has anyone had any experience using Specotech Intensifier Outdoor dome cameras in temperatures exceeding their specified -20 F degree limit?

I am new to this business and I like Specotech's Intensifier technology for low light conditions, however many of my potential applications will be in temperatures that will occasionally dip to -30 degrees and very infrequently -40 degrees.

What I am hearing from most sources is that they will operate well as long as they are powered via 12vdc.

many thanks

Can't say about the temperature aspects but if you plan on capturing any kind of motion with this camera (other than a snail that fell asleep half way thru the image area) you'll be disappointed. Do a search of this forum on Speco Intensifier for thoughts and opinions.

My bad, should have searched db first. Lot's of negative comment regarding the Intensifier camera series, does this apply to the newere Intensifier 2 series as well?

Most good-quality outdoor cameras come with built-in heaters inside, so cold temperature should be no problem.

Intensifier (AKA Senseup, DSS, Digital Slow Shutter, etc...) is a special image proecessing uses digital slow shutter speeds in order to allow extra light into a cmaera so you can take images at extreme low light. These cameras uses very strong digital noise reduction so you can still see pretty good images without seeing too much noise at night.

However even with this cool feature, it's hard to catch fast moving images just like you take pictures with your digital camera at night using very slow shutter speed. You will need to use flash light.

With Intensifier or Intensifier2 (AKA Senseup, DSS, Digital Slow shutter, etc...), you will take good pictures at night but with IR you will take better pictures. There's no magic.

Speco Intensifiers are very good cameras. If you like Speco cameras, why don't you buy their Intensifier line with IRs? Looks like they have one with IRs.

Hope this helped!

Digital Slow Shutter is next to useless for night time Video Security Applications,

Dont believe all the hype, just get a standard True Day Night,

or even a Black and White!

I have 4 of these cameras. They are only good for static scenes anything with movement is horrible. Listen to everyone else just get a true day night. Also the 1st generation intensifiers are a real pain to fine focus. You will be up and down ladders constantly.