Sign in to follow this  
Numb-nuts

First try at installing PTZ dome & Controller Advice Plz

]I have just acquired a PTZ camera and will be controlling it via a 3 axis control keyboard.

I know they match up with Baud rate and both allow us of the same protocols so I know they

should work together (in theory).

While reading the manual and setup instructions for the dome, I had to open the dome to access

the dip switches to make settings. I noticed the manual was saying about terminating the RS485

at both ends and on the dome there is a 3 pin open/close jumper option. The manual is very unclear on

this and as I don't want to be climbing the ladder to reset anything, I was wondering if anyone can

explain this so I can be reasonably confident I made the right setting before I install.

Anyone explain this? In Fact anyone got any advice re practicalities of installing a PTZ dome?

Here's what I have planned for;

1. Because of the height I will be working at I have created a plywood template for the mounting holes.

2. Also because of the weight and value of the unit, I am using no 6 carriage screws into brickwork

3. The run to the DVR is about 15m so I am using RG59 and a cat5 Exterior grade cable for the power and RS485

4. I have set the Protocol to Pelco D and the baude rate to 9600 (only a short run anyway)

5. I will be making the connections in an IP66/68 junction box mounted close to or behind the dome. ( I always do this)

Would I be overreacting to run a lightening ground wire and ground rod because of the exposed position of the dome ?

hi Numb-nuts terminating sould not be a problem as you are just using 1 ptz. as far as fitting why not set it up on the floor first and get everything working. using coax and cat5 is not a problem just use 1 pair for your ptz data and the rest split for + and - on the power.

hi Numb-nuts terminating sould not be a problem as you are just using 1 ptz. as far as fitting why not set it up on the floor first and get everything working. using coax and cat5 is not a problem just use 1 pair for your ptz data and the rest split for + and - on the power.

You are correct I am only using one PTZ on one controller (more is the pity)

Setting it up on the ground before finally fitting it is so obvious that it hadn't occurred to me (living up to my handle now) I'll do that!

Should I set the termination on the dome's settings to on or off? There is no jumper on the board, I have or can get a spare jumper pin if I need it but are you able to briefly explain how the termination works, does this mean that several controllers can be linked in series and the last one is terminated?

I bought this camera for several reasons but one of those reasons was to learn about installing these cameras. I have learned that the baud rate setting is more to do with the distance away from the controller rather than speed. Protocols, so far as I am aware one protocol is much the same as another, they can be considered as a common language between the dome and the controller, is that correct?

A useful trick I learned from a builder was when working out the height on the wall, count the number of brick courses which are (for standard bricks) 3 inches or 75mm per course. This is handy for planning purposes.

Should I set the termination on the dome's settings to on or off? There is no jumper on the board, I have or can get a spare jumper pin if I need it but are you able to briefly explain how the termination works, does this mean that several controllers can be linked in series and the last one is terminated?

Yes.

Yes.