jimboallen

New Wired Design, What cable/cameras

Hi All, Im new here so sorry if this has been asked before, i have had a look around and found bits and bobs but no definitive results.

I am trying to design a system, iv toyed with wireless and cant get it to work well over long distances so cable it is. The longest run I am after is around 400m.

What cable should I use, the cameras I have at the moment have the coaxial connectors on so I assume something like RG59 cable. What is the best cable for a long run, do you get different qualities of the same cable and can you get video boosters that are compact and not too expensive.

Also what cameras do you recommend, for outside use we would like a camera that would allow you to recognise a face at around 5-10m ideally for security. Night vision is also quite important but not essential as we can flood light the area, I understand that night vision will not yield very good results!

Any advice would be brilliant!

Thanks in advance.

I am trying to design a system, iv toyed with wireless and cant get it to work well over long distances so cable it is. The longest run I am after is around 400m.

What cable should I use, the cameras I have at the moment have the coaxial connectors on so I assume something like RG59 cable. What is the best cable for a long run, do you get different qualities of the same cable and can you get video boosters that are compact and not too expensive.

400 meters is a bit far for RG59. I would look at cat5/6 with baluns. Be cheaper and gives you the option of upgrading to IP's in the future.

The camera recommendations will require more info such as how much area you need to cover, distances, etc. Floodlighting the area will definitely open up your possibilities, though.

Baluns are basically a transformer that allows you to match a balanced line to an unbalanced one (Cat5 to coax). Video is easily carried by UTP.

Max distance of coax depends on construction of the cable itself, material, core, etc. I've read specs that they can use it to 650 feet (200 meters) but I've personally never come close to that distance or would I want to.

The enviroment the 400m of cable will be in..is it clean areas i.e. not industrial enviroment with loads mains and interference?

I've run RG59 for 500m full drum and no issues, depends on the camera as well, we did another run 280m different site different camera and had to fit a gain amp inline to help

My personal experience of CAT5 over long runs most is good but some have been nasty in industrial enviroment where the cable has even bein put well away from mains and machines etc

Lighting use flood not IR if you want the best image

Where you based?

Thanks all for the very useful replies.

I will try and be more specific now.

The cameras we have at present ready for the system are very similar to these http://www.maplin.co.uk/30m-day-night-colour-outdoor-cctv-camera-223252

although we can upgrade down the line we will probably start with these if thats ok. The actual distance for the main run will be 180m max. The cables will be buried in a conduit about 1-2ft deep, the trench also carries water pipe and 3phase armoured electrical cable. The site is a boat park and therefore doesnt have much moving traffic or machinery on.

I have seen baluns for £15 a pair is this a good price or will these be poor quality. We want this system to work obviously and at as higher quality as we can get (subject to cameras of course). Are there differing qualities of CAT5 cable (I have seen CAT5 and CAT5e), is there a reliable source for drums of it.

One last thing, am I right in thinking that with CAT5 cable, as most have 4 twisted pairs inside I could use one cable for 4 cameras?

Regards

James

Thanks all for the very useful replies.

I will try and be more specific now.

The cameras we have at present ready for the system are very similar to these http://www.maplin.co.uk/30m-day-night-colour-outdoor-cctv-camera-223252

although we can upgrade down the line we will probably start with these if thats ok. The actual distance for the main run will be 180m max. The cables will be buried in a conduit about 1-2ft deep, the trench also carries water pipe and 3phase armoured electrical cable. The site is a boat park and therefore doesnt have much moving traffic or machinery on.

The fact its in same trench as mains i would go the coax route but its your choice

I have seen baluns for £15 a pair is this a good price or will these be poor quality. We want this system to work obviously and at as higher quality as we can get (subject to cameras of course). Are there differing qualities of CAT5 cable (I have seen CAT5 and CAT5e), is there a reliable source for drums of it.

There are different quality baluns and Cat5 and coax, you get what you pay for in the end

One last thing, am I right in thinking that with CAT5 cable, as most have 4 twisted pairs inside I could use one cable for 4 cameras?

Yes 4 pairs so in theory yes 4 cameras down one cat5 but be aware that you can have some nasty interference with this, there are 4 port Baluns as well you can use

Regards

James